Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

On 10/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, chrisw said:

He was big last year but he got even bigger this year, this property isn't great for holding them but either way it's exciting to get pics like that! I've only got one buck higher scoring than him so far, and that one is +/- 160 we're guessing.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Lets see a pic.  I need a little more motivation.

• Like 1

Lets see a pic.  I need a little more motivation.
Haha I generally don't show bucks on the Internet until they're dead. I'll give you something to picture though, he's a giant framed 10 point with 13" g2's and g3's. It'll take far less of a deer to make me shoot but motivating to know he's out there. If the 9 point that hit the scrape this morning with 3 other bucks comes back tonight I'm 18 yds away. He's no giant but not one I'd probably pass either.

• Like 2

Back in the saddle again.  Crunchy crunchy crunchy leaves. Even the chipmunks may sound like a deer this afternoon.  Lol

Other than a deer I listened to trying to wind me for about 15 minutes straight at around 10:30, nothing else this morning. Im thinking it must have been a doe because I’ve never had a buck hang around that long blowing. 

9 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Haha I generally don't show bucks on the Internet until they're dead. I'll give you something to picture though, he's a giant framed 10 point with 13" g2's and g3's. It'll take far less of a deer to make me shoot but motivating to know he's out there. If the 9 point that hit the scrape this morning with 3 other bucks comes back tonight I'm 18 yds away. He's no giant but not one I'd probably pass either.

I would even be happy with his little cousin.  Like a knucklehead I volunteered to do a last minute 2 week training for our hospital to be able to officially train other staff.   Screws up two weeks of my bow season.  Hopefully I will make the best of the little time I’ll have during bow and make it up during firearm season.  

No more volunteering for me after this.  Time to let the younger folks do it.  

Edited by New York Hillbilly
Grammar
  • Like 1

Well that was fun. I just seen a small doe followed by a little spike. The spike proceeded to come up the Ridgeline and got about 15 yards from me before he noticed me tucked in a blow down. He started stomping and blowing like no tomorrow. Then he ran off blowing. Then I'll be darned if he didn't come back to get in another state down with me at by 30 yards with more blowing. Hunting experiences like this is what keeps me coming out.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 10/13/2023 at 11:52 AM, GreeneHunter said:

Well I " Got Er Done " this morning !  Certainly not my best shot but glad to be out there with these old eyes of mine with a Crossbow !  It was a 30 Yard shot and she noticed my at the last second ( I wanted to double lung her) and bought it in the neck . She ran about 25 yards with the Bolt sticking out of her neck , turned around broke the Bolt off then slowly went down . While dressing her out I retrieved the Business End of the Bolt without ripping my hands open ! 

IMG_20231013_110759796_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231013_091926704.jpg

Why I Hunt ....

IMG_20231014_151257694.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Why I Hunt ....

IMG_20231014_151257694.jpg

What type of broadhead were you using ?  I had the same thing happen to me on the last deer that I killed with my vertical bow.  That was a 4 pointer, back around 2012.  It must have caught a glimpse of my draw, causing it to go on high alert.  

I drew as it passed thru the hedgerow that my stand was in.  It stopped walking, quartering away, about 25 yards out.  I aimed for the center of the last rib.  Upon my release, it reared down and back, taking the arrow, with o-ring style mechanical broadhead, thru the center of the neck.  

It ran off with that arrow sticking out both sides.  Probably hit the jugular. I heard it crash, about 50 yards away, and flopping around in the bushes for about 2 minutes.  I still waited 1/2 hour before I walked over to where I heard the noises and gutted it.  

Even though I got to eat that deer, that experience soured me more than any other, on hunting with a vertical bow.  The best thing that the crossbow has going for it, is the elimination of that draw motion with a deer in close, that so often cause a deer to go on high alert.  

How many “high back” or shoulder blade hits have we read about on this site alone over the years ?  Unless one is willing to get way high up in a tree (the older I get the less I am into that), it’s very tough not to alert a deer by drawing a bow.  

What type of broadhead were you using ?  I had the same thing happen to me on the last deer that I killed with my vertical bow.  That was a 4 pointer, back around 2012.  It must have caught a glimpse of my draw, causing it to go on high alert.  

I drew as it passed thru the hedgerow that my stand was in.  It stopped walking, quartering away, about 25 yards out.  I aimed for the center of the last rib.  Upon my release, it reared down and back, taking the arrow, with o-ring style mechanical broadhead, thru the center of the neck.  

It ran off with that arrow sticking out both sides.  Probably hit the jugular. I heard it crash, about 50 yards away, and flopping around in the bushes for about 2 minutes.  I still waited 1/2 hour before I walked over to where I heard the noises and gutted it.  

Even though I got to eat that deer, that experience soured me more than any other, on hunting with a vertical bow.  The best thing that the crossbow has going for it, is the elimination of that draw motion with a deer in close, that so often cause a deer to go on high alert.  

How many “high back” or shoulder blade hits have we read about on this site alone over the years ?  Unless one is willing to get way high up in a tree (the older I get the less I am into that), it’s very tough not to alert a deer by drawing a bow.  

I know you're doing your classic Wolc gaslighting here and I won't respond a second time to nonsense, but I very rarely get caught drawing my bow. If you are a true bowhunter then it's not that difficult, yet here you are standing on your homemade pedestal preaching more anti compound bow BS, since you've found your new crossbow religion. No one is buying into your scientology logic, just stop.

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I know you're doing your classic Wolc gaslighting here and I won't respond a second time to nonsense, but I very rarely get caught drawing my bow. If you are a true bowhunter then it's not that difficult, yet here you are standing on your homemade pedestal preaching more anti compound bow BS, since you've found your new crossbow religion. No one is buying into your scientology logic, just stop.

Scientology logic or not, I’m just the thankful for my high blood pressure medication.  It sounds like that will enable me to get out there chasing the big bucks with my crossbow on October 1 next year. 

My freezer is too full now to mess around with it yet this year, thanks to the early antlerless gun season that you anti/crossbow folks pushed the DEC into giving us back home (3) years ago.  Thanks a lot for that by the way.  There’s nothing like being able to legally light up the deer woods with gunfire in a September.  

Here’s to you, and best of luck to you for the rest of the seasons and stay safe up there in the trees:

ED496890-CC81-4026-A375-91721B7F2788.thumb.jpeg.382bd8f3c3cbd679842cba4d9319751a.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

Scientology logic or not, I’m just the thankful for my high blood pressure medication.  It sounds like that will enable me to get out there chasing the big bucks with my crossbow on October 1 next year. 

My freezer is too full now to mess around with it yet this year, thanks to the early antlerless gun season that you anti/crossbow folks pushed the DEC into giving us back home (3) years ago.  Thanks a lot for that by the way.  There’s nothing like being able to legally light up the deer woods with gunfire in a September.  

Here’s to you, and best of luck to you for the rest of the seasons and stay safe up there in the trees:
ED496890-CC81-4026-A375-91721B7F2788.thumb.jpeg.382bd8f3c3cbd679842cba4d9319751a.jpeg

The difference between you and I is we can disagree on topics but I'm not going to take every opportunity to try to get under someone's skin. You really think this type of behavior changes anyone's opinions? Maybe ask yourself what good this brings to the forum. I don't care that you harvest deer early with a rifle, I don't care that you advocate crossbows. It's sad you have to take everything to the extreme. Happy hunting, crossbow or not, I'm done.

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

The difference between you and I is we can disagree on topics but I'm not going to take every opportunity to try to get under someone's skin. You really think this type of behavior changes anyone's opinions? Maybe ask yourself what good this brings to the forum. I don't care that you harvest deer early with a rifle, I don't care that you advocate crossbows. It's sad you have to take everything to the extreme. Happy hunting, crossbow or not, I'm done.

I don’t care that you don’t care about me but I care about and am very thankful for you.  Without you and a small group of like-minded others, I’d be eating a lot more store bought chicken, and I don’t like that too much.  Now stop worrying about this and go get the big one.  

Im stuck here in a truck cab waiting for the rain to stop.  At least I had time to cut me a muzzle cover.  Hopefully, I can get a 5th deer out of that right hand neoprene glove:

2D85BAE3-7B76-4A39-A9C3-3DF321353720.thumb.jpeg.f81914efdf56bb0889fe031fe0a2edf1.jpeg

5042A7FA-4D51-4AFD-B135-AC813EAD4D64.thumb.jpeg.7354b115369a371ab48f8b601923d761.jpeg

13 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Nothing moving so far here in 6k. I'm hoping this last magic hour things pick up.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

You no sooner posted this and 6 does showed up around me. Lol.  Three of them passed  broadside about 36 yards which is outside my comfort zone   Plus it really was too dark for my liking and just I knew would have turned into a nightmare. I wish the “magic hour” was much earlier.  Lol 

• Like 2

Just had three does tear ass running down the hill in front of me. Wasn’t sure if I spooked them or being followed by a buck. Couple minutes after here comes a medium rack 8 point tending grunt every other step after them.  Too much crap between him and me until he was about 50 yards downhill.  Could have easily gotten him with crossbow. Tried to use my rubber pig to turn him back to me but he was not breaking his concentration on the does.  Rut is on! 

• Like 2