Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

This weekend was pretty slow. Saw a few Doe and 1 nice 6 pt too small for me to shoot. So few weeks a go my brother is bow hunting and a grey house cat comes along with a Doe in tow. The Doe followed the cat. I brushed it off but on Saturday morning here comes the grey house cat with the 6pt following it. Weirdest thing! My neighbor shot a Coywolf Sunday. Weighed 60 lbs. Big dog!!!! The guy holding it is over 6'.

IMG_2265.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I took the morning off and then went this evening for the last couple hours. Another sit without any deer seen, and other than 2 shots from way off, absolute silence.

Same here, two shots thats it. We really have a huge moon out there???? Just picked up a deer from the butcher he is at 320 which is ok not great. Said the weekend was real slow. 

No shots fired at PA camp for the guys, TONS of small bucks, 4 bucks fighting at once, then a 7 and 8 fighting. Guys are still out now but I'm back at work, hoping to get back out Friday in NY, would like to shoot one more doe. Neighbor got the Big 7 point just off our property sat evening.  Brought my son out sun/MOn to try to get his first buck, but no such luck. 

Edited by Hock3y24

10 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

No shots fired at PA camp for the guys, TONS of small bucks, 4 bucks fighting at once, then a 7 and 8 fighting. Guys are still out now but I'm back at work, hoping to get back out Friday in NY, would like to shoot one more doe. Neighbor got the Big 7 point just off our property sat evening.  Brought my son out sun/MOn to try to get his first buck, but no such luck. 

My next door neighbor left and did the Maryland opener and finished up at their PA camp opener. They actually have to take a boat to the camp and hike in. Been in the family many years. One of these years I'll go!

• Like 2

Bummer! Finally got snow yesterday evening and I had to be back to work this morning.  Based on past history, with the sunshine today it would have been a great morning to be out there. 

I sat for last 2 or 3 hours in the snow storm last night and it was fun, but not productive.  On the way out I crossed several fresh tracks around the stand I was not in of course. 

I love the snow because it really reveals a lot of information.  It will be Saturday morning before I get back out and the snow is supposed to be gone by then. 

Good luck to those lucky enough to be out there today.  

• Like 1

Well I cut to the chase tonight and took one of the Does I have been seeing all Fall with the Howa Superlight 6.5 Creedmoor. Nothing great but I got something to put into the freezer. About 125 yds, threaded the needle though some small openings and that was that.

Now I can look forward to some Squirrel hunting.

Al

• Like 6

So I get out of work by 1:30 get home by 2. In the woods by 2:30 most of the time. Today it was 3:30 in the woods down to a spot wher I shot at the big buck on opening day. I'm not giving up on not seeing him again. Got a strange feeling. So it's 4:15 gotta pee so I go and turn around and a small spike is 30 feet from me. You can't hear them in the snow. He snorts and runs to the planted pines. FML I say. Should I stay or hunt my way out? I stayed and started to do some doe calls and buck grunts. 5 minutes later here come 4 doe from trhe pines where the spike went. They go right past me. Looked like 1 mature doe with 3 yearlings. I was happy I stayed. 10 minutes later here come 3 more doe from another direction. They head to the pines and out of the corner of my eye I see a big dark brown deer coming up my left shoulder. He was big so I was excited to think it might be that buck or another mature buck. As he cleared some trees I saw he was an 8 pt with a small rack. Body size was big and he was all rutted up but not the deer I was looking for. I have no idea if my grunting stirred up the deer or not? It didn't bother them!

• Like 4

Looks like ill be in my pop up blind on the elevated platform in the morning, not my best option but I'm not in the mood to sit in the rain since I'm heading to PA camp after anyhow and its on the border so works out. Checked it yesterday and it survived our major wind storm last week. 

Got my second ever b-day buck in 40+ yrs of hunting yesterday.  Not the biggest buck in the woods, but I'm very happy with him.  

Lot's of yrs, I was already tagged out and couldn't shoot a buck on my birthday.  

Ya, I know crappy selfie, lol. 

IMG_20231130_165258276.jpg

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Thanks for the laugh! That was the best deer report I have heard in a very long time! hahaha

Funny part is that his forecast was pretty spot on. At the granddaughters basketball game and one of my cameras went off just showing enough that a deer moved when the rain stopped. Then no more. Lol

IMG_7066.png