Model 94 Ae 30-30 scope or no

luberhill

I have 2 1/2 straight power and 1X4 variables on my exposed hammer lever rifles, have a 1X5 on my Savage 99 for just a bit more power because it is chambered in 250 Savage, a cartridge that has some longer range potential.

The lower powered scopes I use provide wide fields of view and long eye relief which is a main concern for me as I use them in the woods shooting relatively short ranges so high power is not important.

Pickings are kind of slim for straight low powered scopes, Leupold discontinued both it's 3X and 2.5X ultra light, like new can be found on ebay at times, they still make the 1X4 which is a good choice. Both Vortex and Bushnell make a 1X4 that look pretty good.

I had problems seeing open sights when the lighting was dim early mornings and just before dark, scoping my lever actions remedied that problem.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

They Winchester 94 AE lever gun was designed for scope use.  As long as you use one that isn't too big and powerful for the round being fired, it will enhance your ability to shoot deer with the rifle.  I like small scopes on my lever guns, the biggest being a 1.5-5x20mm. It's more than enough to use on targets out to 300 yards, which is really the practical limit of range for the .30-30 round. More importantly, it has a low enough setting to allow for quick use on close range shots. The most I would consider for that rifle would be a 2-7x33 compact scope.  Anything bigger is unnecessary and will throw off the balance of the rifle and negate the ability to use it quickly at close range.

• Like 1

Yep. The AE was designed for scope use. I would be surprised if it wasnt drilled and tapped...it will be obvious if it was. If not, any gun smith should be able to .  Look carefully into the scope mounts/reciever mounts, as they likely will be a bit tricky to find, as of course the rifle has long been out of production. 

I absolutly agree with Grouse....keep the scope magnification on the low side...despite what some may say, claiming great accuracy etc. at a zillion yards, the 30-30 was designed for a relatively short range weapon (100 yards is fine). I also love the Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope . Durable, quality, great optics....designed for such a use. All mine were bought used at a very significant savings.

(I have owned three 1.5 x 5, still have 2) even used will be backed up by Leupolds lifetime warranty...

But then again....really, the Marlin 336 is a much better design overall (and I have owned four 94s and love them), and much better with a scope with its solid top, designed from the go as a side eject....but heavier. You would likely be able to sell your 94 and easily get a 336 off the money made...just a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Yep. The AE was designed for scope use. I would be surprised if it wasnt drilled and tapped...it will be obvious if it was. If not, any gun smith should be able to .  Look carefully into the scope mounts/reciever mounts, as they likely will be a bit tricky to find, as of course the rifle has long been out of production. 

I absolutly agree with Grouse....keep the scope magnification on the low side...despite what some may say, claiming great accuracy etc. at a zillion yards, the 30-30 was designed for a relatively short range weapon (100 yards is fine). I also love the Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope . Durable, quality, great optics....designed for such a use. All mine were bought used at a very significant savings.

(I have owned three 1.5 x 5, still have 2) even used will be backed up by Leupolds lifetime warranty...

But then again....really, the Marlin 336 is a much better design overall (and I have owned four 94s and love them), and much better with a scope with its solid top, designed from the go as a side eject....but heavier. You would likely be able to sell your 94 and easily get a 336 off the money made...just a thought.

It is drilled and tapped already

Any idea a good Leupold scope and mounts for this ? Assume it’s a long eye relief 

The AE uses a normal eye relief scope, unless you mount it on the barrel as a scout style rifle.

I would look for a good used Leupold 1.5-5x20mm or a 2-7x33mm in a Vari-x or VX II model. They work great and have a lifetime warranty that applies no matter who owns it now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

The AE uses a normal eye relief scope, unless you mount it on the barrel as a scout style rifle.

I would look for a good used Leupold 1.5-5x20mm or a 2-7x33mm in a Vari-x or VX II model. They work great and have a lifetime warranty that applies no matter who owns it now.

Ouch 300.00 

more than I paid for the rifle :)

what about mounts ?

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

Ouch 300.00 

more than I paid for the rifle :)

what about mounts ?

First, how long ago did you buy your rifle? A NEW Winchester 94 is over a thousand bucks last I knew, and yours in the used market is (depending on how sold and to who) likely to catch you back about six hundred....none of mine went for less, and none were in great shape or collectable. 

There used to be a guide to spend as much on the scope as you spent on your rifle.  Three hundred bucks for a Leupold 1.5 x 5 is a bargain, and once you own one...you will never own another. Sorry, but a scope that sells for 129.oo is a throw away in my book. Many scopes are fine out of the box, but will they hold up twenty years down the road? On a hunt where it is getting knocked around, soaked, frozen, thawed and peed on? I have owned six Leupolds now...none have ever needed to be resighted (except for a change in ammo) or sent for any service, and they have been on .308s, heavy loaded 45-70s, 300 Win mags, 8mm Mausers, .270s, .22 250....well, I guess that covers it. The goal is to not EVER to need the warranty. But if you do, Leupold will return it to you postage paid...within the week. 

• Like 3

I bought this AE about 10 yrs ago , haven’t shot it much but thought I’d like to hunt with it for fun firm time to time .

the sights are hard to see with my 64 yr old eyes that’s why I was thinking a scope 

I have a Leupold on my 1100 20 gage.. I like it ok but don’t really see its much better than my Vortex

But I’m a rookie :)

Im sure rings and mounts will be another 100.00

i will probably just buy the bullet

Buy once , cry once 

11 hours ago, luberhill said:

Buy once , cry once

I realize money is and can be a factor for a purchase but it is not wise to cheap out on your scope.

My philosophy is that all of my serious hunting rifles get serious scopes, it is not just about getting a good image when sighting through the scope, I want total reliability with the sighting adjustments, zero fogging, and ability to take heavy recoil without shaking loose, a good quality scope will give you all that with peace of mind.

If you ever get the chance to draw down on the buck of a lifetime having good quality reliable equipment will give you the ability if you do your part to make that shot at the moment of truth.

Al

Edited by airedale

Anyone try the Truglo fiber optic sights ?

Im still up in the air about adding a scope . Kinda takes something away from the style of gun ..

And truth is I probably won’t use it much for hunting ,

My go to is my scoped .243 . scoped muzzleloader and scoped 1100 LT20

So the 94 will just be used on occasion 

Skinner sights rear aperture and a fiber optic replacement front sight IF you need it.

If you have never shot an aperture sight, your eye automatically centers on the opening and you use only the front sight to align the shot. Advantage for older eyes is you dont have to align a rear and front sight and pick up target, just front blade and target.

I have 2 identical CZ 452 22lr’s…..one with a VX3 1.5-5.5 and one with an aperture. I can match shot for shot for accuracy.

Keep the clean lines with no scope.

http://skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

• Like 1