What Bows Arrows & Broadheads Do You Use.

I hunt with a 1999 Mathews MQ-32 bow. There are another 11 assorted bows (compounds and recurves and a long bow) hanging on the wall down in the basement, all top-of-the-line bows in their day.

Easton aluminum, arrows Mostly autumn orange XX-75, with game getter back-ups.

Bear Razorhead broadheads

Cobra ring-pins (4) sight heavily modified

Tru-fire wrist release

Nothing new since 1999, w/everything still serviceable and killing deer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I hunt with a 1999 Mathews MQ-32 bow. There are another 11 assorted bows (compounds and recurves and a long bow) hanging on the wall down in the basement, all top-of-the-line bows in their day.

Tru-fire wrist release

Is the True fire wrist release buckle or Velcro?

2003 Hoyt Razortec for a bow.  (Thinking of upgrading. Easton carbon arrows, new this past season so don’t remember which ones off the top of my head. Muzzy MX-4, 100 grain broadheads

Edited by boo711

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Tru-fire wrist release

I have an MQ32 down in my hunting room I bought in 2000. Still shoots just fine! Though I haven't taken it out hunting in a couple years.

The bow I have been toting is an Obsession Phoenix that I bought from Moog. 

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have an MQ32 down in my hunting room I bought in 2000. Still shoots just fine! Though I haven't taken it out hunting in a couple years.

The bow I have been toting is an Obsession Phoenix that I bought from Moog. 

I used to try to keep up with the Jones's for years.....especially when I was into tournament field archery. I have expensive bows hanging all over the walls downstairs and drawers full of all kinds of gadgets and go-fasters. Then I remembered that the bow that I took most of my deer with was an old bear whitetail. What a nasty old bow, with limbs you could use as crowbars and more cables and pulleys than you could count. It was a super slow thing that shot the arrows no faster than my old recurves. But it was just as accurate as the fancy bows that now hang on the walls. And it killed deer just as dead. All of this occurred to me in 1999 after I bought that fancy MQ-32, and I haven't bought a bow or arrow since. I suppose that if I had stayed in tournament shooting, I would still be adding bows to the wall......lol.

• Like 1

My equipment is much the same as Doc's, vintage, it was top of the line stuff in it's day.  Several Bear bows both recurve and compound, an Oneida lever bow and a Browning compound. I did buy a crossbow  a bit ago and a long bow but I got them to play around with and shoot. Since I moved to the northern zone quite a few years ago I have bow hunted very little. I do love archery for it's own sake and do quite a bit of shooting.

Al

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Buckle

I grabbed 3 True fire buckle releases, new in the package, on a flea market, few years back. He wanted 25 a piece. I give him 65 for all three. Pay that for one nowadays. He offered me another, but in Velcro for 10.  snatched up that one too for a backup. Prefer the buckle, but hey. Coated with Need foot oil on the back side. Stored in the dark, when the grandchildren are ready.

They all have length adjustment.

• Like 1

You have all winter to build a nice hickory long-bow, and then you'll have a 100% homemade traditional outfit to take a deer. What a thing that would be, to hand make your own traditional, historic hunting equipment from scratch and then take a deer with it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

What do you use for fletching on the arrows?

What happened was I had a few knapped arrowheads I picked up somewhere and they were so nice I decided I would like to attach some of them to  cedar arrows. I purchased a dozen turkey feather fletched cedar arrows and cut them to length and followed a youtube video on how to put primitive arrowheads on, I used modern materials, Spyder Wire fishing line along with Gorilla Glue and they are on good and solid.

They were made basically for display although I believe they would actually work well for hunting.

The arrowheads I used for actual hunting are the old Bear Razorheads and I have some Savora replaceable blade heads.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...