Food saver

YFKI1983

I use a cabelas branded vacuum sealer and love it! I have fresh Lake Trout and Brown Trout in my freezer from last ice season and they still look like the day I cleaned them. Speaking of which I am starting to get hungry for some nice grilled trout! :umnik:

Love my Food Saver. I would suggest getting one that has the roll cutting option. making bags is much easier from the rolls with it. I also like the Marinate feature mine has with the canisters. Works good for the times I forget to put the meat in marinate and need a speedy process.

I have at least 40 deer though mine

• Like 1

I have this one. Seems to work great for meat & other things but for some reason the fish gets freezer burn many times & don't know why?

Delicate meat. I have the best luck freezing fish in a block of ice. Growing up as a kid we always had small brookies, browns and rainbows in the 10-13" range. gutted and took the heads off. stood them up (like McDonalds French fries) in empty and cleaned half gallon milk jugs. The old paper cardboard type. filled with water and froze. Never any freezer burn.

• Like 1

Delicate meat. I have the best luck freezing fish in a block of ice. Growing up as a kid we always had small brookies, browns and rainbows in the 10-13" range. gutted and took the heads off. stood them up (like McDonalds French fries) in empty and cleaned half gallon milk jugs. The old paper cardboard type. filled with water and froze. Never any freezer burn.

That's what I went back to doing this summer, always did it that way don't know why I changed it up? If it's not, broke don't fix it! lol
  • Like 1

In addition I just bought two rolls of 50 foot by 11.5 inch bags from eBay for $25.... No need to buy the brand name bags. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually going to ask this. Mine is from foodsaver, are all the bags the same quality. Can i just buy for value

In addition I just bought two rolls of 50 foot by 11.5 inch bags from eBay for $25.... No need to buy the brand name bags. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye out at Walmart. they sometimes have a 5 roll Food Saver roll box. I think there are 3 -11" rolls and 2- 8 " rolls. I checked it against the some of the online prices for bulk rolls and it was at or lower price if you looked at the per SF price.

I grew up with commercial freezer paper and plastic wrap as well as equipment because my dad had a store.  I was taught the right way how to pack stuff with it.  I still am sold on vacuum sealers and bags ever since I've used them.  also commercial shops I know have moved to vac-packing stuff.  I use a food saver 8" sealer and get bulk rolls of sealer bags from Cabelas.  you save more money too as you cut the bags to the exact length you need so there's no waste.  I would recommend going with a wider model though. to do stuff like roasts and larger steaks.  I've preseasoned stuff and marinated some other stuff before bagging it with good results.  I use it for everything from left overs to garden stuff to any meat I've got.

I'd love to have a vac-sealer but it's never been in the budget.

Freezer burn is caused mostly by air in the wrapping. Really thin plastic bags, like they have for produce in the grocery stores, can be squeezed manually so that there is very little air in them. Wrapped with freezer paper that little bag of meat with no air in it will last for a couple of years or longer w/o an issue.