Sundown

zeus1gdsm

My Lord how soon we forget...every year we all do the "first shot" reports....some shots were 6:30 with a 7:15 opener...and how many were saying they couldn't see anything at those types of time differences...So when you have the sunrise /set and guys can't get to within 45mins of legal..... how far out would they be if you were to put it at 30 mins. before?...Why not just make night scopes legal and have a 24/7 season...really... :rolleyes:

My Lord how soon we forget...every year we all do the "first shot" reports....some shots were 6:30 with a 7:15 opener...and how many were saying they couldn't see anything at those types of time differences...So when you have the sunrise /set and guys can't get to within 45mins of legal..... how far out would they be if you were to put it at 30 mins. before?...Why not just make night scopes legal and have a 24/7 season...really... :rolleyes:

I could hunt after work then Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

Poacher! I hope you get your license revoked for many years! No harm, but still illegal.

I could have a shot an 8pt buck easily with my xbow the other day at 530am. It was standing 30 yards from where we parked the car. But then I would always look at the antlers on the wall, knowing I cheated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, I guess that's poaching. I would not feel I cheated one bit. You can go ahead and set your alarm with growie though.

Belo I don't think anyone said their crap doesnt stink...and trying to be legal in our activities doesn't make that so either.....

Now how far are you(general use of you) willing to go with that variable? Because I have guys that hunt next to me that think it's OK to shoot when the moon is high and 30 mins into total dark...I have more than once hit the dirt when coming home on my own property because they decided...... with a good scope snow and moon shooting at a deer was OK and very close to where I was walking home I doubt they could see behind their target very far...mind you to be out there with flash lights wondering around trying to find a blood trail and not....

Heres the thing rules are put in place BECAUSE as the old saying goes " Give them and inch and they will take a mile" rings true with way too many ppl.

1. always wear a headlamp whether you need it to see or not. I don't wear orange on the way in or out if it's dark. I bouncing light should be enough for those that push the limits. I still wonder where you hunt. You have multiple stories about almost getting shot. Not sure I'd hunt there if it's true.

2. So your reasoning for not adjusting the rule is because they will take a mile? Is that why a lot of states have 65 and 70 mph speed limits and NY stays with 55 and 65? Love that logic. I'm not condoning anything unethical or dangerous. But we all very well know you can still see just fine before legal sunrise and sunset.

That's what gets me about poachers. It's not that they're breaking the law, it's that they rob opportunities from others.

WAAAAA? I shoot a buck 2 minutes after sunset and I've robbed you of a deer? lmao.

yes, I guess that's poaching. I would not feel I cheated one bit. You can go ahead and set your alarm with growie though.

So if you were in my shoes, would you have shot that 8pt this year at 530am and then be proud about it and posted the pic on this site saying you shot it 530am or "just after light"?

So if you were in my shoes, would you have shot that 8pt this year at 530am and then be proud about it and posted the pic on this site saying you shot it 530am or "just after light"?

You don't bow hunt? right? when did you get a look at a buck at 5:30 am? Was it on November 1st before the clocks changed?

did you have a clear shot? no noticeable obstructions or objects behind him? If so then i would have. No need to post the time of kill. Remember this isn't a rifle bullet traveling for hundreds of yards if you miss. I'm more concerned I get a clean kill and not forcing a risky shot that could wound. 

You don't bow hunt? right? when did you get a look at a buck at 5:30 am? Was it on November 1st before the clocks changed?

did you have a clear shot? no noticeable obstructions or objects behind him? If so then i would have. No need to post the time of kill. Remember this isn't a rifle bullet traveling for hundreds of yards if you miss. I'm more concerned I get a clean kill and not forcing a risky shot that could wound. 

I hunt with xbow. It was Saturday, 11/8. As My Dad and I pulled into the driveway of the property we hunt at 530am, an 8 pointer (that we have several trail cam pics of) was standing on the property we hunt. I could have easily shot it with my xbow. Being that legal shooting time that day was around 630am, I did not shoot and hoped to see it later in the day (which I never did).  Yes, Belo. I had a clear shot. All I had to do was shoot illegally over an hour before legal light.

Really the sunrise,sunset rule in this state is as dumb as 7 bullets in your magazine, I see where the law should be there for gun, considering that every body knows that one guy who is a total dumb ass and scares the hell out of you during daylight hours, let alone in the dark, But then again he is the guy shooting when its still dark out, but too argue over a few minutes with a bow is insane, Just like the last election are true problem in this state is the fact that we are always at each others throats and can never just agree to pursue things that really matter, If we as hunters and gun owners had united in this state, Cuomo never would have won, Its all relevant when it comes down to law, Stand together and stop the bickering, unite to get the politicians out that are not in our favor and put in place ones that would change laws so this very topic would no

longer come up, Fighting and name calling over a few minutes, Really!!!!!

• Like 5

Well, ask yourself a question...... If you get caught shooting after legal hours, are you going to be pissed that you got fined, or worse they arrest you, impound your car/truck, or put a lean on your house, and take your hunting license?

Or are you going to accept you broke the law and just deal with the consequences?

Remember, hunting is a privilege, not a right.

Here we go again Belo as usual because I disagree and state why..... you go into an attack mode and bring out........ If what you tell us is true.....Lol your so predictable..again too many ppl know who I am on here for me to lie about anything...

Now  try to justify what you say and I do believe you have no problem picking and choosing what NYSDEC laws to abide by as if they were on an a'la carte menue...but illegal is illlegal period...Now the OP was about staying after legal hours with an implication that doing so implied hunting as well....We all know most of us go in before and in the most part leave after dark...as long as we are not shooting at deer it is legal to do so. Just because another state does something different  DOES NOT mean it invalidates the laws in the state you live in. I for one do not want to encourage young hunters in doing the same as you by not  saying YOU ARE WRONG

• Like 1

Well, ask yourself a question...... If you get caught shooting after legal hours, are you going to be pissed that you got fined, or worse they arrest you, impound your car/truck, or put a lean on your house, and take your hunting license?

Or are you going to accept you broke the law and just deal with the consequences?

Remember, hunting is a privilege, not a right.

You do realize that we are in Ny state right. These things you list would never happen. I would also say that the few on here that try and make it sound like they are saints are..Well Whatever, But when we talk after legal time and bow hunting we are talking a matter of minutes. To walk out of the woods at the best time to be in the woods to harvest a buck that the only time you may get that buck is stupid at best. This could go back on us few that like and only will kill mature deer. 

• Like 3

I kinda admire those who would not shoot the biggest buck of their lives as it stood under their stand 2 minutes Before legal light.

I just wish they'd move out of the left lane while their cruise is set right at 55 because the rest of us are doing 65 and the Troopers don't even look up from playing Flappy Bird.

• Like 3

Really? I am in NY? LOL

Those may be the harshest, but are possible.

Most of us do get to our stand/sits at least 1/2 hour before light.

My point was about shooting after hours, would you be pissed off or just deal with the fact you did something wrong if you got caught?

Not a hard question to answer, and my post was surely not enough to get the hairs ruffled. If it did.................. Stop wearing a thong, they get twisted easy, and try Prozak......I learned in the past few weeks here, that getting all worked up about things won't get your point across. It's NY. Not like we all don't have attitudes...

:drinks:  ;)

Everyone in hear can act all high, mighty and moral like their sh!t doesn't stink, but there is no harm in sticking a deer 15min after legal light if you have a good safe shot.

Do you know what bothers me the most about the above statement?...He also put up this original post...see all the cuteness in it is circling the drain now..notice the subject title... :rolleyes:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/25294-start-them-young/#entry339118

Edited by growalot

Sorry to say, but if a stud buck showed up two minutes after the sun went down and its still damn near broad daylight out, I'm sticking him every single time. If someone told me that they had the buck of a lifetime show up at 517 and their little app on their phone said sunset was 515 so they didn't shoot, I would slap them in the side of the head.

• Like 2

Here's a different issue to ponder. Today I'm hunting a property I have permission to use but don't know well. So I decide to stalk a little to see more areas I haven't seen before. As I'm going I see a doe trotting down with a buck in tow. I drop to my knee and draw, I have him! Then I see the posted sign. I wait hoping she will bring him across, she doesn't, they leave. No one was around, no one would probably care... But its someone else's.... Or in the world of rules only kinda apply to me should the shot be seen as acceptable.

• Like 1

How many of us can sit most of the morning, guess what time it is, look at our phones, and say, "Yep, 8:20", turn around later on, figure is 9:15 and bingo, right on the money.  Rarely, are we surprised at what time it is. Our internal clocks are pretty good.  If I can see that buck and know it's almost shooting light and I won't have another chance, I'm not checking my phone to see what time it is.  I'm not moving around, flipping the light on, put it back in my pocket, awful lot of movement for no reason.  I'm not talking 1/2 and hour or more, I'm not even talking 15 minutes.  If it's 5 minutes to go, you've gotta go for it.  Now, I've never shot before 6:45 or after 4:30, always within the correct shooting light, but if given the opportunity, I'd be hard pressed to not take it.  Answering to myself would be a lot harder to answer to than anyone on this site.

• Like 1

Sorry to say, but if a stud buck showed up two minutes after the sun went down and its still damn near broad daylight out, I'm sticking him every single time. If someone told me that they had the buck of a lifetime show up at 517 and their little app on their phone said sunset was 515 so they didn't shoot, I would slap them in the side of the head.

2 minutes past you would shoot, but what about 5minutes? what about 10 minutes? what about 30 minutes? what about 63 minutes, like in my case where I could have shot my biggest NY buck at 530am when legal light was 633am?

Of course, I could have shot it and posted daylight pics with the buck and nobody would have known. But I would have known and not felt right about it. Just like the many guys on this site who post proud pics of their deer that were shot over illegal bait. Could I get away with illegal baiting or shooting before/after legal light? of course I could, but I don't do it because its against the rules and I am proud of the "legal" animals I have killed.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with NY's rules. I prefer CT and PA with the longer hours. However, when hunting in NY I obey the proper rules.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

2 minutes past you would shoot, but what about 5minutes? what about 10 minutes? what about 30 minutes? what about 63 minutes, like in my case where I could have shot my biggest NY buck at 530am when legal light was 633am?

Of course, I could have shot it and posted daylight pics with the buck and nobody would have known. But I would have known and not felt right about it. Just like the many guys on this site who post proud pics of their deer that were shot over illegal bait. Could I get away with illegal baiting or shooting before/after legal light? of course I could, but I don't do it because its against the rules and I am proud of the "legal" animals I have killed.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with NY's rules. I prefer CT and PA with the longer hours. However, when hunting in NY I obey the proper rules.

No I definitely wouldn't shoot it after dark. That's just stupid. But if I had plenty of light in my field stand. It'd be hard not to. That deer you saw an hour before and after just pulling in? I would have a problem with. But actually hunting in a stand and its a couple minutes past, let her rip. JMO.

And I would never hunt over bait. I get what you are saying, illegal is illegal. But in my opinion I think that shooting a couple minutes after sundown, when it is still light out, doesn't compare with shooting over a bait pile in terms of how I would feel ethically. Same goes with spotlighting and shooting, trespassing and all the other crazy things you can think of.

You didn't answer my question, how long before or after legal shooting light would you shoot? 5 minutes? if 5 minutes, what about 7? If 7, what about 10? it goes on and on so where is the line drawn? For me, its simple. Its whatever the rules/laws say.

• Like 1