Sundown

zeus1gdsm

It would probably only be a couple minutes. As long as it is pretty damn light out still. I wouldn't silhouette shoot a deer. I honestly never look up the time the sun sets. I just watch it drop over the horizon. Once that happens it's still pretty damn light out for a few minutes.

Edited by Renegade Hunter

Well that's what I'm trying to say. You say you ethically couldn't shoot him. I agree. I wouldn't take a deer under moonlight even if it was a monster. I think there is a difference between shooting a deer under moonlight and shooting one at the end of your 4 hour hunt, 2 minutes after the sun sinks over the horizon. I would not feel ethically bad about that. JMO.

I liken it to the speed limit, the majority of us exceed the limit by a few mph, but are smart enough to not act recklessly and travel at dangerous speeds......unless someone is gonna tell us they NEVER speed or break any traffic laws.

Your right I do on occation go over the speed limit...but I have cruse control...

not on purpose! I was driving to pick up kids at school. only one on  the road...we had a few vehicals and I grabbed the truck...I have a Statetrooper come up over a knoll on 15 and look at speed 5 miles over...look in rear veiw and she's turning around in road...OK I pulled over and waited...she comes up to the window...why did you pull over..I saw you turn around looked down and was 5mph over...she looked astonished...then said your inspection is 3 days over...I tolder we have several vehicals and I just grabbed the truck to pick kids up from school...wrote me a ticket...I go to court...tell the judge exactly what happened and he gets mad!...wishes she was in court to speak with...then in open court appologized to me said It should have been a warning and apologized for the mandated 35.00 fee I had to pay.... point is I did not intend to go over limit nor be in a car 3 days over inspection...but payed the fine I was given never lied about it but I can bet that a certain person if caught 15 minutes after legal would be two stepping all over the place trying to get out of admitting he was wrong and possible loosing  hunting in both NY and his now home state...

Edited by growalot

Wow this imploded.

So I guess I might as well toss this log on as well..

A guy I work with talks of driving down the road... Seeing deer in the field... Hoping out . getting some feet off the road and taking them... Mind you this isn't his property nor does he have permission... Lots of fields round here.

Personally.. I would never do this... My understanding is the law requires you to be Xx amount of feet off the road... Assuming he is doing this in legal hunting hours.. Xx distance from the road... He at that point would only be trespassing... Correct? (Leaving ethics and scruples out of course) (I have heard similar stories for years prior to even taking an interest in hunting)

To me those that hunt to the minute and not one second over/under are a lot like Leprechauns,Bigfoots and Mountain Lions in NYS. A mythical creature I've read about yet have never seen in the wild.

I'm sure they never drive 56 or touch their hand held electrical device while driving either.....

• Like 2

I guess we have several types of people.....those who pick and choose what laws to follow, those who really do follow all the laws, and those who break any law that stands in the way of them accomplishing their goals........

Edited by jjb4900

I get all the points made here.

The speeding? If I get a speeding ticket, it only makes me look bad. Not an entire community...Anyway......

I still have to agree with Biz though. The law is what it is, and should be followed.

My thought is extending the time might work out for the morning, but not the evening. It will most likely increase the amount of "lost" deer. Making a good shot in low light, is hard. Shooting at a dark mass and making a clean hit just won't happen in many cases. Shadows play tricks. That in my book is a big deal. Tracking a deer you shot 20 minutes after sunset would be a pain.

Wow this imploded.

A guy I work with talks of driving down the road... Seeing deer in the field... Hoping out . getting some feet off the road and taking them... Mind you this isn't his property nor does he have permission... Lots of fields round here.

Personally.. I would never do this... My understanding is the law requires you to be Xx amount of feet off the road... Assuming he is doing this in legal hunting hours.. Xx distance from the road... He at that point would only be trespassing... Correct? (Leaving ethics and scruples out of course) (I have heard similar stories for years prior to even taking an interest in hunting)

Where are you at zeus? That's funny as heck. Last weekend I had a guy at my horror movie marathon say he did that same thing. All I did was glare at him, and made a mental note, never hunting this this $^*&%^#.

Northern Oneida county... I have always been a little skeptical of it.. Hard to determine if its just bluster or if people are actually doing it..

A good friend of mine.. Non hunter.. Said a guy he worked with showed up 2 hrs late to work on a Saturday with 3 dead doe in the truck. And he was scrambling to find doe tags for them...taken from the side of the road. He surmised from inside the cab giveen The smell of gunsmoke

To me this was not only unethical and unsportsman but was a prime example of individuals giving the majority a bad name... as if we didn't have enough crosshairs on us a firearms owners in the first place.

Edited by zeus1gdsm

Booner you've been watching all summer finally steps out and gives you an opportunity 5 minutes after legal light.........OK, nail his ass! :secret:

Booner you've been watching all summer finally steps out and gives YOUR NEIGHBOR an opportunity 5 minutes after legal and HE nails his ass......... :bye:

Now your speed dialing your local ECO and sheriff to have his poaching ass arrested, his hunting implements taken away, and hunting priveledges revoked for life..... :sarcastic:

Edited by wooly
  • Like 6

Northern Oneida county... I have always been a little skeptical of it.. Hard to determine if its just bluster or if people are actually doing it..

A good friend of mine.. Non hunter.. Said a guy he worked with showed up 2 hrs late to work on a Saturday with 3 dead doe in the truck. And he was scrambling to find doe tags for them...taken from the side of the road. He surmised from inside the cab giveen The smell of gunsmoke

To me this was not only unethical and unsportsman but was a prime example of individuals giving the majority a bad name... as if we didn't have enough crosshairs on us a firearms owners in the first place.

Can't be the same guy. Dipstick at my gathering lives in Clifton Park, his name is ED. I find it very disturbing that people still do this. 

I won't go on and on but I don't buy the speed limit comparison. IMO, The appropriate comparison would be driving after the end date your car is legally inspected for. Your hunting license is valid sunrise to sunset, your inspection is valid for 1 year. It's a time period we are talking about here.

To me shooting a deer illegally is any type of illegal kill whether it be out of season, without a tag, trespassing, outside of legal hours, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Most states have long done away with the sunrise sunset rule. 30 minutes prior and after is acceptable.

2. I have stands in the pines where I can't even make it sunset and others near fields where I have close runs that are fine after sunset. Throw in a full moon or fresh snow and all the variables change.

Everyone in hear can act all high, mighty and moral like their sh!t doesn't stink, but there is no harm in sticking a deer 15min after legal light if you have a good safe shot.

flame away

yeah.. you kind of won't see the harm until you get caught... then I'm thinkin' the fine and loss of license might hurt just a little... but then again if someone will shoot a deer before or after legal shooting time, I'm sure not having a license won't stop them either.

The problem will always be that no matter what time frame is established by the DEC... there will always be those that will try to push the envelope... 30 minutes after sunset turns into 35 and so on...

Edited by nyantler

Wow this imploded.

If not posted then technically not illegal at all. Immoral... But not illegal.