Why People Hate Hunters

Curmudgeon

So what is worse, a more serious or dedicated hunter who is pretentious, even approaching arrogance, or a less dedicated hunter that sometimes might impact the image of hunting or hunters? Now that's your answer, how will a non hunter answer?

The one that "might" impact the image of hunting also "might" impact it in a positive way or not at all. The arrogant, pretentious one definitely affects the image in a negative way, both to non hunters and hunters alike. There was an article written by Oak Duke that was posted in one of the AR threads, and he made a good point in there about how hunting is seemingly driving the average Joe out now days. The arrogant, pretentious, you aren't a real hunter attitude displayed in this thread is one of the reasons for that trend.

• Like 2

The one that "might" impact the image of hunting also "might" impact it in a positive way or not at all. The arrogant, pretentious one definitely affects the image in a negative way, both to non hunters and hunters alike. There was an article written by Oak Duke that was posted in one of the AR threads, and he made a good point in there about how hunting is seemingly driving the average Joe out now days. The arrogant, pretentious, you aren't a real hunter attitude displayed in this thread is one of the reasons for that trend.

yeah, the guy who looks at a small buck taken by a new hunter and makes an offhand, jackass comment about it being small is 10x's worse than the guy who pumps gas in his hunting clothes...........that's the guy I hate.

• Like 1

yeah, the guy who looks at a small buck taken by a new hunter and makes an offhand, jackass comment about it being small is 10x's worse than the guy who pumps gas in his hunting clothes...........that's the guy I hate.

What if he does that while pumping gas?

If you look at license sales, bow hunters are the subculture.

Good point. I'd rather not look at it like that though. We're all hunters and the only subculture we should be pointing a finger at are the poachers. The ones that shoot deer at night, use others tags, don't report their kills, bait, etc. Also the guys that throw safety to the wind and end up shooting others, shooting property, buildings, equipment, etc. Those names listed in the papers and shown on the news are the ones that truly give hunters a bad name.

JMO

• Like 1

You guys got this all wrong.  Xbow hunters are the subculture. 

I kid I kid.   Seriously though you guys know what Gun Hunters and bow hunters have in common?  They are both HUNTERS.  There are idiots amongst both its the way it has been since the begining and the way it will remain.  You cant fix stupid its embedded in there DNA.  How many of these types passed there hunter ed course? They know better yet choose not too.

• Like 3

You guys got this all wrong.  Xbow hunters are the subculture. 

I kid I kid.   Seriously though you guys know what Gun Hunters and bow hunters have in common?  They are both HUNTERS.  There are idiots amongst both its the way it has been since the begining and the way it will remain.  You cant fix stupid its embedded in there DNA.  How many of these types passed there hunter ed course? They know better yet choose not too.

yep, these people are the same obnoxious jackasses who can't shut up at the movies, get kicked out of the shooting range for breaking the rules, get out of hand when they go to a bar, become involved in road rage incidents and annoy everyone at the checkout line at the supermarket and the list goes on and on..........and unfortunately some of these types enter the hunting world and bring their primitive social skills along with them........their behavior has nothing to do with the weapon they pick up or what season they hunt.......like you said you can't fix stupid and it's so far embedded in their DNA they're beyond hope.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

So what is worse, a more serious or dedicated hunter who is pretentious, even approaching arrogance, or a less dedicated hunter that sometimes might impact the image of hunting or hunters? Now that's your answer, how will a non hunter answer?

People who hate hunters will hate them both equally.

Edited by Mr VJP

Hang on a second. I said it was ethical because it's legal. I also said its not as easy as some perceive it to be. I don't have a problem with it where it's legal. That's all.

I'm not getting sucked into the high fence vortex. I just told you the basics of my feelings on it lol.

How's your gun season going so far? Spent any time out my way in the park since bow season?

Well i had 3 different bucks picked out that i would take during the last week of bow and saw 2 of them a couple different times during that week. I stuck around for opening day and low and behold one of the 3 shows up at 715 Saturday morning, The only problem was he went from a nice 130ish 5 by 5 to a nice 5 pointer. Sometime between Tuesday and then he must have met up with one of the other 2 that were running around down there. I know some say that AR does not work but after about 20 years of hunting the same place i can say that it sure seems to be changing the age structure down there. Many nice 2 year old bucks running willy-nilly across the roads and some real,real nice mature bucks.

Good news is that i now have ownership in a nice camp in Pike with a few acres to go along with the farm land on the Mt Morris end of the park. I will be spending the rest of the hunting weekends down in that area.

IDK Western... I would say the average person isn't put off by a hunter criticizing other hunters. Such a person, as you indicated, irritates other hunters... However, it is the slob hunter that turns off people to hunters/hunting.

I don't know how wise it is to focus on what is perceived as elitism or an arrogant attitude every time ethics or behavior are questionable, that seems to be a trend as well, at least on here.

I don't think the radio conversation was responsible because it was laden with profanity and was about a wounded animal. That sort of talk doesn't win friends with non-hunters.

• Like 1

How is asking for a little respect and appreciation for the sport driving out the average Joe? If the average Joe is the guy on the radio, than good riddance. I'd rather be a part of small group of responsible good people than a large group laced with crap.

I've never done that. A young Hunter should shoot all he/she can. Said it plenty of times here.

yep, these people are the same obnoxious jackasses who can't shut up at the movies, get kicked out of the shooting range for breaking the rules, get out of hand when they go to a bar, become involved in road rage incidents and annoy everyone at the checkout line at the supermarket and the list goes on and on..........and unfortunately some of these types enter the hunting world and bring their primitive social skills along with them........their behavior has nothing to do with the weapon they pick up or what season they hunt.......like you said you can't fix stupid and it's so far embedded in their DNA they're beyond hope.

The guy you describe is more likely to take his grandpas rifle and go into the the woods and far less likely to drop a grand on a bow and a ton more on good stands, good scent control and scouting so he can get close enough to a kill a deer. And if he does give it a whirl he gives up.

So you're all right, it's not the weapon. It's the person. And unfortunately the season is more prevalent with these kind of people. Is that a statement that can be argued?

You know I'm a bow hunter at heart. I also gun hunt. Several times now I've mentioned that there is a difference between gun only hunters and those who hunt with both and per capita the gun only Hunter has a greater track record of incidents like that mentioned in the news article... Which we all seem to have ignored and decided to bash me and defend him.

I'm going to have to stand up for belo for a min..... He did say that he thinks that as a whole people who bow and gun hunt are more responsible then some people that only gun hunt he did admit that this was a general statement and did not apply to everyone...... I would say that bow hunters who apply what they have learned from bow hunting MAY do thinks a little slower and more methodical which may lead to a safer end result..... I'm sure there are a lot of very responsible and law abiding gun only hunters out there..... But there are also a lot of A Holes who pick up the sport ok a whim and walk the woods shooting at anything that moves...... With the extra course and expenses Bow hunting does weed out some people which is why you see less b.s. Just my 2 cents........ Now can we all realize we are on the same side!!!!! The people we should be bashing are the ones who think we are all cold heartless murderers

I do not hunt with any kind of malice in my heart for my prey. The kind of radio transmission that began this thread is something you would never hear from me. Some hunt with a "Whatever it takes" attitude. They argue that ethics and even fair chase has no place cluttering up their hunting. I have seen this in both bowhunting and gun hunting. It seems to be a growing human trait that doesn't really relate to the weapon in hand, but more on attitudes between the ears. It all boils down to what hunting really means to each individual. That radio transmission that this thread opened up with showed me an individual who is totally immersed in the "Whatever it takes" mentality, and the more people who are repulsed by that, the better for hunting. That mentality of kill at any cost does come through to those outside of hunting, and it does impact how they feel about hunters and the whole activity of hunting.

• Like 3

I cannot and would not change what another hunter does in the field. The only actions I can control are my own. I try to set a good example of my hunting standards to my grandsons and to those I have mentored in the past. To me, that is the only way to make a difference. By mentoring and setting the example you want passed on. There are too many differences in people, and reasons for hunting, good and bad that are far beyond my control. Just because someone is different from me or may go about hunting a different way. As long as they are legally hunting, I won't criticize them weather or not I feel they are doing it the "right"way or not.

• Like 1

Well i had 3 different bucks picked out that i would take during the last week of bow and saw 2 of them a couple different times during that week. I stuck around for opening day and low and behold one of the 3 shows up at 715 Saturday morning, The only problem was he went from a nice 130ish 5 by 5 to a nice 5 pointer. Sometime between Tuesday and then he must have met up with one of the other 2 that were running around down there. I know some say that AR does not work but after about 20 years of hunting the same place i can say that it sure seems to be changing the age structure down there. Many nice 2 year old bucks running willy-nilly across the roads and some real,real nice mature bucks.

Good news is that i now have ownership in a nice camp in Pike with a few acres to go along with the farm land on the Mt Morris end of the park. I will be spending the rest of the hunting weekends down in that area.

Aw man, ya gotta hate when they get all busted up like that. Oh well, hopefully he will make it through and end up as a better buck next year.

Thats cool on the new camp, good luck with it. Nice property I assume?

IDK Western... I would say the average person isn't put off by a hunter criticizing other hunters. Such a person, as you indicated, irritates other hunters... However, it is the slob hunter that turns off people to hunters/hunting.

I don't know how wise it is to focus on what is perceived as elitism or an arrogant attitude every time ethics or behavior are questionable, that seems to be a trend as well, at least on here.

I don't think the radio conversation was responsible because it was laden with profanity and was about a wounded animal. That sort of talk doesn't win friends with non-hunters.

Youre taking what Im saying wrong. Im not as worried about the average non hunter being offended by hunters bashing other hunters that arent breaking the law, that one is a win for the antis on multiple levels. First, it shows division amongst our ranks. Second, it puts off some younger, newer and even experienced hunters, and causes some of them to quit the sport. Further diminishing our ranks. The elitism and bashing of hunters is a problem, its not good for our sport, whether you want to admit to it or not.

How is asking for a little respect and appreciation for the sport driving out the average Joe? If the average Joe is the guy on the radio, than good riddance. I'd rather be a part of small group of responsible good people than a large group laced with crap.

The dedicated, hardcore guys are a small group. There are power in numbers, you arent stupid, you know it. Unless you want our sport completely under the control of government bureaucrats that know nothing of the sport to begin with, then we need numbers to strengthen our voice. You arent talking a little respect and appreciation, you bash anyone that doesnt hunt the way you do, even if its withing the limits of the law and regulations. You look down your nose at the majority of our ranks with comments like "gun hunters...". You need those guys for funding of the DEC, Pittman Robertson, etc etc etc.

Many People Like hunters until they have a bad experience with one or a bunch. Remember this when your out there Hunting you are setting an example so set a good one because it reflex upon all of us.

probably the best post in this whole thread. Professional athletes deal with. Movie stars deal with it. Like it or not, when you suit up your actions reflect us all. that's what it all boils down to.