700 CDL

eagle rider

Need your thoughts an opinions here,... I may have struck a deal for an swap on a 114 Savage for a used (in good shape) 700 CDL from a gun shop.  The CDL is a 24" barrel and is in 270 Win.  I'd like to make in Mountain Rifle Length.  Am I taking  a huge chance sending it to a smith to cut the barrel 2" and re crown it?  What do you think?  

Why would you want to make a woods or brush gun length bbl. for that caliber ?. I have had 2 rifles made for shooting out west in the mountains one a .270 Wism. and the other a 6.4 x .284 Both made by well respected and long time gun smiths/ manif. the .270 had a 24" bbl. for 140 grain bullets and the other a 28" bbl. for the same weight bullet. Both made for 200 + yard shots.  

I have a 308 that I had shortened and a target crown put on.Shoots as good as it did before the barrel cut.I get 1 inch groups with cheap green box ammo

Yes around here , but at what distance ?. .308 is one of the calibers used in long distance shooting, say that someone that shoots in long distance matches an the will laugh in your face.

I am picturing a mountain rifle as one that groups out to 300+ yards not the tipical NYS 100 to maby 200 yard shots.

Need your thoughts an opinions here,... I may have struck a deal for an swap on a 114 Savage for a used (in good shape) 700 CDL from a gun shop.  The CDL is a 24" barrel and is in 270 Win.  I'd like to make in Mountain Rifle Length.  Am I taking  a huge chance sending it to a smith to cut the barrel 2" and re crown it?  What do you think?  

I love CDL rifles.  I wouldn't sweat the 24" tube too much.  Hunt with it for a year then rethink it.  You'll definitely loose velocity..........and gain a little portability.  If you DO do it, make sure your 'smith doesn't do a target crown.  You want a "hunting crown" or "floorboard crown" :)

270 rocks............

I had a CDL in 280 that would group right around 1/2" for 3 shots at 100yds. It was a heavy sumbitch.

If you want a mountain rifle, a M700 in a long action isn't the best choice.

The long action M700 is 3 3/4" long. Actually, that's magnum length since standard length cartridges are 3.340" & a 3 3/8 length action would be ample.

I had a M700 Mountain Rifle DBM in 7mm-08.  It was nimble & shot 3/8" groups with premium factory ammo. The short action M700 is a full 7/8" shorter than the (too) long M700 action.

My advice is if you want a M700 mountain rifle, find a 7mm-08 specimine & have the barrel shortened, thinned down & crowned. Might be better to just have a new barrel fitted.

7mm-08 loaded with a 140gr polymer tipped bullets at 2900fps will shoot 3" low at 300yds when sighted in 2 1/2" high at 100yds. With practice it will be able to take game further.

7mm-08 with a 140gr bullet has more retained energy at longer ranges than a 308 with a 150gr bullet.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Yes around here , but at what distance ?. .308 is one of the calibers used in long distance shooting, say that someone that shoots in long distance matches an the will laugh in your face.

I am picturing a mountain rifle as one that groups out to 300+ yards not the tipical NYS 100 to maby 200 yard shots.

very true.I have shot it out to 250 and its around 2.5/2.75 inches if I do my part.I shot a buck last year at 225 and the shot was perfect.Whoever wants to laugh in my face go ahead,just let me eat my venison that I killed with that rifle the last few years....mmmmm it tastes good

FWIW my factory length 270 Win is a 22.5" barrel. Shot my ammo out of the same manufacturers "match"(24" heavier contour) barrel and it was about 55 FPS less....they use the same chamber/barrel specs.

That would fit most guesstimates of giving up 25-50 FPS most folks use for chopping a barrel and depending who you read.

Yes you get more drop by a bit losing some speed.

Shot a bunch of stuff with it from small to deer sized under 300 yds, no drama. 140 gr A frames.

I have a 22" 270 Browning A-Bolt. So in some respect I do have a MR length 270 bolt action in the safe already. The question here is do I jump at the 270 CDL or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chop it and dump it in one of the lighter composite stocks and add some light ring/scope.

Chop it and dump it in one of the lighter composite stocks and add some light ring/scope.

+1

Flute the bolt and add a McMillan Edge stock (all when finances are right of course) and you will have a dandy rifle!

How about the trigger, is it under recall?  Replacements abound.......................

• Like 1

+1

Flute the bolt and add a McMillan Edge stock (all when finances are right of course) and you will have a dandy rifle!

How about the trigger, is it under recall?  Replacements abound.......................

If he shopped careful he could find a used McMillan in the Edge fill and a Timney is cheap and easy for 700's.

• Like 2