Stuffed backstraps

NYBowhunter

post-5805-0-99666600-1419986712_thumb.jpI would rather see pictures like that on the cover of hunting magazines than the big racks they always show.  It is good to see that there are still some folks out there who have their priorities right.  Thanks for posting.  It looks like the outer part gets pretty well done (the way my wife and older daughter like it), while the center looks good and rare, the way I like it.  My younger daughter likes it medium, so she should be able to find plenty of that also.  Venison is about the only food that I could, and sometimes do, eat every day of the week.  "Pickled heart" will be an appetizer for tomorrow's new years party.     

• Like 3

attachicon.gif248.jpgI would rather see pictures like that on the cover of hunting magazines than the big racks they always show. It is good to see that there are still some folks out there who have their priorities right. Thanks for posting. It looks like the outer part gets pretty well done (the way my wife and older daughter like it), while the center looks good and rare, the way I like it. My younger daughter likes it medium, so she should be able to find plenty of that also. Venison is about the only food that I could, and sometimes do, eat every day of the week. "Pickled heart" will be an appetizer for tomorrow's new years party. [/quote

Love me some liver and heart..pickled heart sounds good, enjoy!!

Our favorite "easy" dinner is to throw a frozen roast on top of a few potatoes, onions carrots and a can of cream of mushroom soup, into the crockpot, in the morning before work.   Set it on low, and a good hearty dinner for 4, plus lunch for me the next day, is there waiting when I get home. 

The pickled hearts (from 1-1/2 and 1/2 year old bucks) were delicious.   My mother in law scarfed up the one from an old buck I shot up at their cabin in the Adirondacks this year.  I don't know yet how that one tasted nor how she cooked it.  It seems that the livers get tougher as they age and I didn't even save that one.  I am sure that the coyotes and/or a bear up there were thankful.   The liver from the 1/2 year old was fried up immediately. along with the tenderloins, and both were world-class in both flavor and texture.   I fried and ate about 1/3 of the liver from the 1-1/2 year buck, while it was fresh, and it wasn't bad but no where near as good as that from the fawn.  

Those folks who get their meat from the supermarket have no idea what they are missing.  

• 1 month later...