Squirrels

Skillet

I love late season squirrel hunting. It can be great action when it's not too freezing cold. I got these late in the day on Sunday, within 10 minutes of eachother. Two of them were small, 2nd from the left was a normal sized one, & the one on the far left was a monster! I get really into hunting them. It's nice to get out and hunt something that isn't so serious. There's no racks, no passing little ones, no measure of success other than a crockpot full of stew. It's just hunting.

post-1188-0-39362800-1420073610_thumb.jp

• Like 16

I love late season squirrel hunting. It can be great action when it's not too freezing cold. I got these late in the day on Sunday, within 10 minutes of eachother. Two of them were small, 2nd from the left was a normal sized one, & the one on the far left was a monster! I get really into hunting them. It's nice to get out and hunt something that isn't so serious. There's no racks, no passing little ones, no measure of success other than a crockpot full of stew. It's just hunting.

That's one reason I love squirrel hunting. It's very enjoyable, "low pressure", and how I like to introduce new hunters into the sport. It also serves as scouting missions, and a great way to learn the woods and general woodsmanship without having to worry about somehow "ruining" the hunt.

Well done!

• Like 2

Nice rig and it appears to be a shooter!

Thanks! It's my favorite gun. I figured it was worth getting a good setup because hunting them is a lot more fun when you can hit them, & I really like eating them, so hitting them with a shotgun isn't my pick.

Edited by Skillet

Nice!  I have the 10/22 with fiber stock which I would really like to replace with a factory wood stock on. I don't see to many factory made stocks for sale.

Lots of them on ebay in the $40 to $50 range last time I checked. Another option for about 100 bucks would be boydsgunstocks. Remember though that thumbhole stocks are illegal on semi-autos with detachable mags in NewYorkistan, so you'll have to go with a more traditional stock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had all but forgotten about late season small game. I will have to try and get back out before it closes, assuming that things warm up a little (aka above 35 F). Unfortunately, very few grays where I live. I usually have to drive a bit to a known squirrel haven down in Newburgh. Typically see them by the masses. Attached is a picture of my son on one of our earlier excursions in September. That was his first squirrel hunt and certainly not his last.

post-5897-0-69934300-1421850290_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I can honestly say I've had very little luck squirrel hunting in the winter. I don't know if it's because the leaves are off the trees and they pick me out, the predators are on the prowl, or if they just don't like coming out in the cold. Never had a problem killing a limit in September or October.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Lol....... all I have to do is sit in my stands...they come out and I shoot....get em and move to a different stand....they are just nice sits on calm days and they are all close shots at squirrel sitting on logs or at the bases of trees...some times I sit in the blinds and the shot doesn't bother the others and I can get 2-3. I carry a sling shot during deer season for the chatty ones..and chipmunks...even if  I miss 1 or 2 times they get the point and shut up(most of the time).