Snow Piles

Lawdwaz

I don't think we have had piles of snow like this in quite a while.  24" or so on the level ground...........piles at the end of the driveway are 5' easy.  Parking lots are up in the clouds!

I don't see any relief in sight........actually we are supposed to get another couple inches tonight and somebody said we could get a another big dump Sunday?? 

Ugggghhhhhhh.....................

How much in your yard??

PS....I talked to a friend in Denver tonight, it will be 62 tomorrow. :)

Me and my wife were taking about this earlier today the piles are so big in some areas its hard to make a safe turn from one street to the next or backing out of three driveway safely because you can't see over the snow mounds. They are gonna have to start trucking this site out of here and hopefully they do it soon

I don't think we have had piles of snow like this in quite a while.  24" or so on the level ground...........piles at the end of the driveway are 5' easy.  Parking lots are up in the clouds!

I don't see any relief in sight........actually we are supposed to get another couple inches tonight and somebody said we could get a another big dump Sunday?? 

Ugggghhhhhhh.....................

How much in your yard??

PS....I talked to a friend in Denver tonight, it will be 62 tomorrow. :)

yeah, my daughter lives in Fort Collins...last Monday when we got dumped on it was 70 out there...this week out there calls for high 50's and low 60's.

How can that be?  We've had so much single digit temps and even below zero for a few weeks now.

Snow is an incredible insulator. It didn't happen in my yard this year, but if we get a good blanket of snow on early and it stays around, it will insulate the ground enough to keep it from freezing in areas. Once the ground is exposed and we get those bitter cold temperatures, the ground will freeze (and heave, etc).

Several animals (particularly ground dwellers like rodents) depend on this up in the arctic. Even in areas where there is permafrost, the insulating snow layer keeps the ground level insulated from the extreme biting cold above. It's really pretty neat.

Can someone tell me how they manage to drop 3 ft of snow at the end of my drive when all we got was 7'' of the white stuff...OMG I can barely move...but got 2/3 of it done plus a path to the back of house for vent cleaning and the mail box..just need to do turn around and the long narrow section...Our 4ft bank is now 8ft tall and it's getting tuffer to toss the snow over the top...

I am thinking industrial grade heat blower to melt this stuff. 

My gutters and roof are frozen.  The downspout that I could reach without breaking any body parts is clear.  Just a giant ice dam.

Each side of my driveway on the road end is 5 foot.  the rest varies 2-3 foot high on one side and about 4 foot on the other.  Road has 2 1/2 foot lining it on my side the other is lower (the side that has 1 driveway on).

To make it more complicated, my b-in-law's car is still at my house from when he was moving to his new house.  His car has 2 foot of snow on it and it sits in the middle of the driveway, so we have to shovel around it.  He moved almost 2 months ago...

He let the registration expire so he could just get it done using his new address once he moved in. Now he can't find his paper work from the move.  Car came from out-of-state.  He has been over a few times, so if he is in no rush to get his car, I am in no rush to clear the snow off it any more (have cleared it off a few times for him already).

Not sure how big the pile is next to the deck.  It still needs to be cleared from Monday's storm before the next one hits.  That pile has been over 5 foot before.

Tonight's low, before wind-chill, will be in the negatives.  So its not melting by me.

Just widened the drive by 6 ft to cover any plowing Mr B has to do.   the bank tends to cause the drive to get narrow with plowing and drifts...he just did the house roof again but was able to use the new stihl leaf blower....slick work ...cleaned off both vehicles as well... I cut back to the mail box and snow bank on both sides 50ft...that will keep it clean and the drive across the street clean through a few plowings by the town evenif they use the wing blade.

Angle scared me...she was hopping through the turnip plot then disappeared...came back up and just stood there with a strange look on her face...I thought great! she is giving herself a heart attack...I called to her and she snapped out of what ever was happening and really struggled to get to were we had plowed the drive earlier in the week...snow is up to her neck......Silly girl....