You Can Own Steve Rinella's ( of Meat Eater Fame ) Rifle

Mr VJP

All legends have to start out some where. I remember when Detek Jeter first came up how every one was talking about him not being in the same class as Alex Rodriguez and Nomar Garciaparra. Time will tell if Steven Rinella is still climbing or he is at his peak. My guess is that he is still climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on.......Name me ONE TV hunter/personality that has made it big whose gun might be worth something.....??

Who's the biggest name in tv personalities now, hunting wise,  Shockey?  WTF do you think his gun might be worth?  NOTHING.......Jim Shockey was famous long before he was a TV stud.  He was a pretty darn good writer long before he was on TV.

Michael Waddell?  Not many that probably make what he does finacially but WTF do you think one of his guns will be worth someday?  NOTHING...........

They are nobodies.........

Come on.......Name me ONE TV hunter/personality that has made it big whose gun might be worth something.....??

Who's the biggest name in tv personalities now, hunting wise,  Shockey?  WTF do you think his gun might be worth?  NOTHING.......Jim Shockey was famous long before he was a TV stud.  He was a pretty darn good writer long before he was on TV.

Michael Waddell?  Not many that probably make what he does finacially but WTF do you think one of his guns will be worth someday?  NOTHING...........

yeah, it's a pretty small community of people who think that "hunting celebrities" are really that important....in the outside world something they owned is not worth more than it's value as it stands alone. But, if you took a gun owned by Ernest Hemingway, John Wayne and the likes,there is no doubt that a name like that attached to it would bring in big dollars.

• Like 1

jjb4900, on 22 Feb 2015 - 6:49 PM, said:

yeah, it's a pretty small community of people who think that "hunting celebrities" are really that important....in the outside world something they owned is not worth more than it's value as it stands alone. But, if you took a gun owned by Ernest Hemingway, John Wayne and the likes,there is no doubt that a name like that attached to it would bring in big dollars.

So where's that leave me on Tiffany's bra and panties?

Collectable or not?

I gotta know in case she email's me back.

• Like 1

Resume of a nobody.....

Steven Rinella is an avid outdoorsman, writer, and television host. He is the author of The Scavenger's Guide to Haute CuisineAmerican Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, and the forthcoming Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter. Rinella's writing has also appeared in many publications, including OutsideField and Stream, theNew YorkerGlamour, the New York TimesMen's JournalSalon.comO the Oprah MagazineBowhunter, and the annual anthologies Best American Travel Writing and Best Food Writing. In 2010, Rinella hosted The Wild Withinon Travel Channel. Currently, he is the host of MeatEater, on Sportsman Channel. He was born in Twin Lake, Michigan.

Publications and news contributions[edit]

Rinella has been a frequent contributor to Outside magazine and he is currently listed on that magazine's masthead as a contributing editor. His features, essays, and reporting have appeared in many other publication, including Field and Stream, Glamour, Men’s Journal, Outside, the New Yorker, the New York Times, Salon.com, O the Oprah Magazine, Petersen's Hunting, Fly Fisherman, Bowhunter, and the anthologies Best American Travel Writing (2003 and 2010) and Best Food Writing (2005). He has appeared a number of times on National Public Radio's All Things Considered, where he discussed his hunting adventures, and has also been interviewed about hunting on such mainstream news outlets as CNN's American Morning and the Sunday broadcast of Fox and Friends.

Selected Bibliography:

"A Pig Roast or Bust", New York Times "The Case for Responsible Meat-Eating", O, The Oprah Magazine "Grand Theft Cattle", Outside Magazine "Go Big Or Go Home", Outside Magazine "Photo Essay", Field and Stream "How I Fell for my Complete Opposite", Glamour "Faith and Morels", Best Life "The Brotherhood of the Very Expensive Pants", Outside "Hot Pursuit", Plenty Magazine "1,000 Miles of Nada", Outside "Locavore, Get Your Gun", New York Times "Down, Boy", Outside "If You Are What You Eat", Outside "Fungus Rising", New Yorker

Awards and Nominations[edit]

In 2012, MeatEater was nominated for four Sportsman Choice Awards for Best New Series, Best Host, Best Hunting Show and Best Educational Show [1]

In 2011, The Wild Within was a James Beard Awards finalist for best Television Program, On Location.[2]

American Buffalo won a number of awards including the Sigurd F. Olson Nature Writing Award[3] and the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Award.[4] It was also chosen by Amazon.com as a Book of the Month selection[5] and by the San Francisco Chronicle as one of the best fifty non-fiction books of 2008.[6]

What makes this man different than folks like Shockey and Wadell is that he is not restricted to the world of hunting or the outdoor community.  His appeal is much wider than that.  There are probably more non-hunters who know who he is than hunters.  That's why it appears his career is just beginning.  At 41 he is further along than O'Conner was at that age, and Jack was strictly a hunting world figure.

Let's see where this rifle winds up in the auction.  That will give some indication of the value his ownership of a firearm adds.

Not at all.  Just trying to inform the haters and doubters, who seem to have something against someone who may just be the best ambassador for hunting our sport will see in this century.

Or maybe they're just jealous it won't be Ted Nugent.

I'll admit I'm an ignorant old fart when it comes to media hunting celebrities..

I never heard of this guy until you posted this thread.

He looks like a dork, but then, so did Jack O'Connor...

Not everybody can be a big macho stud like me and Wooly and Rock Hudson...

• Like 1

Not at all.  Just trying to inform the haters and doubters, who seem to have something against someone who may just be the best ambassador for hunting our sport will see in this century.

Or maybe they're just jealous it won't be Ted Nugent.

Rinella is far from a nobody..and I personally wouldn't use that term for anyone else in the hunting industry that has made a name for themselves. I just don't see the world outside of the hunting community seeing a huge value on anything they may have owned or even knowing who they are.

We're not talking about the whole world outside of the hunting community.  We're talking about the world of firearms collectors.  I can assure you, they know about every famous person that ever owned a firearm.

Did you know Mel Torme had a million dollar firearm collection?

We're not talking about the whole world outside of the hunting community.  We're talking about the world of firearms collectors.  I can assure you, they know about every famous person that ever owned a firearm.

Did you know Mel Torme had a million dollar firearm collection?

I do now, but was the value inflated because of his name or because that's what it was worth?.......but I think Rinella has a ways to go before he joins the company of some very well known............Hemingway's Westley Richards double rifle was only valued at about $80,000.00, but sold at auction for $295,000.00.

Do you suppose that someone has the Luger used by Horst Buchotlz in " The Hoodlum Priest "...?

Yeah…I heard the same guy also owns the Fembot Bra gun use in the Austin Powers movie.  Pretty pricey….since the bra gun is actually two guns...

• Like 1

What do you think a gun owned by Phil Robertson would be worth today?  

He's way more well known than Shockey.

He may be more "known" in your world of reality TV.  Funny thing, (and I know it means nothing) but I have never seen a minute of that show and have no plans on starting.  You were probably a big fan of Orange County Choppers?  No those guys are famous! LOL....

Heck, I just started watching Steinfeld.  (or is it Seinfeld?)

I'd much rather have a beer with Shockey any day than Phil but YMMV and should.

Actually, he's so well known because of his political activity.  I don't have cable and have not seen his show or any other reality TV, but your presumptuous tendencies are well known.

BTW, I have no idea what YMMV stands for.  I don't do text messages either.

As a firearm collector, I'm only interested in one thing.  How much do you think one of Robertson's firearms would be worth, simply because he owned it?

P.S.  I do like nice choppers and currently own one.

Edited by Mr VJP

Actually, he's so well known because of his political activity.  I don't have cable and have not seen his show or any other reality TV, but your presumptuous tendencies are well known.

BTW, I have no idea what YMMV stands for.  I don't do text messages either.

As a firearm collector, I'm only interested in one thing.  How much do you think one of Robertson's firearms would be worth, simply because he owned it?

P.S.  I do like nice choppers and currently own one.

I'll give you another one to look up......ICGAF.

(that'd be what I think about the skanky duck hunter's guns)

So you have bought/sold or dealt 200 guns?  Are you a licensed dealer?  I know you hang that little shingle that says "Escaped from New York"  so you aren't dealing them here, correct?  What do you deal most, AR's?

Funny I don't recall you adding much to the conversations here regarding gun values, what's you specialty?  Maybe you could be a resource..............

I don't know where all your anger and vindictiveness comes from, but I surely hope you can overcome that disability some day.

I've lived a long and prosperous life and have been hunting and collecting fine firearms for over 40 years.  I have a licensed FFL on retainer in my home state, as I've had in every state I've ever resided in.  My expertise is in fine sporting arms, not military arms.

I believe I've added quite a few posts on these forums regarding gun values.  I don't mind responding to any questions about anything I can be of help with.

But if the question comes as disrespect, I'd have to ignore it, because I won't assist a person with a lot of anger, suspicion, vulgarity, or low class.  I take no pleasure in it.  Not the type of person I would care to assist if they were drowning in their own vomit.

In other words, I could repeat your latest acronym here.  But I won't lower myself to that level.

If you believe the rifle in question is not a collectible arm, so be it.  No need to get psychotic over it.

Waddell's definitely at least somebody.  he auctioned off his turkey vest for a good cause.  it was one he toted around for 10 years that was beaten and tattered.  nothing special less than a $100 new at bass pro shops.  it was up well over $1000 within hours.  don't know how much it ended at but I think it was a lot more.  some people are making comparisons that aren't even remotely close money wise.  I mean old collectible firearms like double rifles that regardless of the owner would bring 10's of thousands of dollars aren't really a good comparison.  that is unless you think of how many times the base worth without the individual it went for.

I don't know where all your anger and vindictiveness comes from, but I surely hope you can overcome that disability some day.

I've lived a long and prosperous life and have been hunting and collecting fine firearms for over 40 years.  I have a licensed FFL on retainer in my home state, as I've had in every state I've ever resided in.  My expertise is in fine sporting arms, not military arms.

I believe I've added quite a few posts on these forums regarding gun values.  I don't mind responding to any questions about anything I can be of help with.

But if the question comes as disrespect, I'd have to ignore it, because I won't assist a person with a lot of anger, suspicion, vulgarity, or low class.  I take no pleasure in it.  Not the type of person I would care to assist if they were drowning in their own vomit.

In other words, I could repeat your latest acronym here.  But I won't lower myself to that level.

If you believe the rifle in question is not a collectible arm, so be it.  No need to get psychotic over it.

An FFL on retainer?  Damn, that IS big time................... :rofl:

Well, you've certainly knocked me down a peg or two.  It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then and leave it at that. 

I hope that rifle goes for a great big pile of cash and the intended beneficiary is rewarded nicely.   Surely the buyer will mothball the gun and hope for a big payday in the future.

Best of luck if you are bidding............................................ :good:

Never said he is a going to be a huge TV personality.  Simply saying within his field, he is relatively new compare to some of the other names you guys have been bring up so it is too early to compare him to against those who has seen their careers in it's entirety.