Push Button Calls

Mikey M

Anybody use them? Have any success? I was tuning up my glass and slate last night while reading through the bass pro spring catalog and seen a bunch of these.

I like the fact that they require such little movement. Seems good for when a tom is approaching the kill zone

Get one before season, and play with the spring position, purrs cuts and yelps are ver easy yo do, I do not use a mouth call and push boxes and pot calls are all I use. I like the double push box by quakerboy nothing brings in birds like 2 hens fighting,very easy to use and do with that push box. I think birds come easier when they here 2 birds vs 1 especially if shot at by a single caller.

• Like 1

I have bought a couple but never liked their sound enough to try them. Maybe I got bad ones. Mouth call 90% of the time, even when they're closing.

same here..the one's I tried sounded terrible.....old style slate and box calls do the trick for me.

push pin calls work and sound great. Don't get a plastic body push pin call imho they don't sound as good as a wooden box. You need to work them for a bit to break them in and learn how to effectively use them. I like to put a finger on top of the slide to put a little pressure on it and then tap the pin it makes a good cluck. Good luck and practice outside!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered up a Knight and Hale "Witchy Woman" from cabelas which arrived today... Out of the box it didn't sound good but with a little chalk and some practice she sounds pretty darn good and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound... Although I find it a little difficult to cluck and purr together, gotta keep working on that! All things considered it's a great addition.

Ok one funny side note... My girlfriend sees me in the shed (man cave) opening the cabelas box which also contained a jake decoy... So she comes in and says in her best Staten Island accent , "oh great! Just what we needed, another rubber chicken and duck call" I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed.... Sorry had to share

• Like 2

I don't even own a push button, since I have over a dozen box calls, half a dozen pot calls and a SHITLOAD of mouth calls..

However, I have played with quite a few push buttons over the last 40 years and some of them sound pretty good.

You can play around with cutts, clucks and purrs on them, but all you really need is to be able to make a series of 3-4 very soft yelps, to finish a bird the last 100 yards. Push button calls work well for that.