Bamboo poles

Dom

We used to call them 'cane poles'. I lost a lot of them to the carp in the Erie Canal when I was a kid, before we switched to 'beer can' poles. :rofl:

Yes cane poles is the correct name of said.Still some call them bamboo or stick's lol

I had an 8 ft cane pole when I lived in Florida as a kid...great pole and let me tell you....worked great on large swamp snakes I weren't sure if they were poisonous or not...lol

Three friends and I held off an attacking grizzly bear on the Yukon River with our cane poles back in the 60's.

OK. We were 8 years old and it was a terrified raccoon coming out of a culvert pipe along the barge canal. We eventually threw it a baloney sandwich and it went away, but that day we became men. :)

• Like 4

Have used them most of my life and still do with the grand kids.

Always get funny looks from other guy's in bass boats. Like hmmmm,what's he up to with them cane poles. 

Tournament anglers are always wondering what the other guy is up to.

The last time I used one was when I was in my teens, which was back when Moby Dick was a minnow.

A couple of my buddies and I bought cane poles down at the local cigar store/poolroom/ sporting goods store for perhaps 50 cents apiece.

It was probably late April or early May, and the suckers were running in Tuscarora Creek...

We rigged the cane poles with perhaps 15 feet of heavy green line, attached 3 or 4 treble hooks to each line and then tied a fairly heavy weight ( usually a steel nut) to the end of the line.

Then we waded into the pools where the suckers were lying, lobbed out the snatch rigs and pulled up.

If my rusty memory does not decieve me, the best day we had we caught 119 suckers..We had a HELL of a time hauling them all home in burlap bags..

We cleaned suckers until we were exhausted... The rest of them went into our vegetables gardens as fertilizer.

• Like 1

I hated those poles, the fish would always pull the bait before I could set the hook.  Then I used a normal pole and actually had fun. 

Great poles if you want to discourage them!  Good luck, I would just use a tree branch they work better.

i thought at one time in NY if you used a cane pole you did not need a fishing license, I think it was an old timer that told me that..... I would really be surprised if that were the case.

One of my fishing/hunting buddies grew up in Florida..

He told me that that you did not need a license to fish with a canepole in freshwater there.

Whether it's accurate or not, I don't know....

Three friends and I held off an attacking grizzly bear on the Yukon River with our cane poles back in the 60's.

OK. We were 8 years old and it was a terrified raccoon coming out of a culvert pipe along the barge canal. We eventually threw it a baloney sandwich and it went away, but that day we became men. :)

LMAO

I remember years ago down in Florida you could fish fresh water with no license using a Kane pole but had to have a license if you had a rod n reel, but then again you did not need a license at all to fish salt water.

Then our GREAT Government took over.

• Like 1

We used to fill burlap bags with speared suckers until the state took that away about 15 years ago.  That was lots of fun and it is a shame that today's kids will not get to enjoy that sport.  I'll never forget my last time out, when I was able to take two big "lake-run" suckers at once with a single jab of my spear.  They were laying side-by-side, on the bottom in a shallow, calm pool below a rapids.   My uncle used to grind the fillets and make "sucker patties" which made pretty good fish sandwiches in the spring.   We always waited for that first "warm rain", every spring that would get the suckers running up the creeks.  We also used the scraps and leftovers for fertilizer on our apple trees.  After the suckers finished their runs, the carp would come up in smaller numbers but bigger fish.  They had such tough scales that it often took several spears to penetrate sufficiently to get them lifted out of the creek.  I never did try eating a carp, they were strictly "fertilizer".

I remember my first poles were bamboo, and just a few years ago, that's what the rangers gave our young girls to use at a park in the Blue-ridge mountains of Virginia.   It is a lot easier for a kid to learn without a reel.   It's tough to beat a cane pole for blue-gills in ponds.   I also like to mess around with the guys in the fancy bass boats, and cane poles would be good for that.   I have a 1950-something mercury 5 hp (the kind you have to spin all the way around to go reverse), on an old green, beat-up, 1960-something Sears, 12 ft row-boat.  My "trolling motor" is a set of oars.  I sure get some looks from them dudes in the fancy, metal-flake bass-boats, when I start pulling in bass, one after another on home-made lures, while they cast frantically with their fancy modern equipment, usually not getting a bite.  A cane pole would add to the drama, over the little light-action spinning outfit I use now.  I thought about going with a Zebco 202 closed-face reel on an old white fiberglass rod with a cork handle but the cane-pole would be even better.