I don't find it "political"

growalot

The cash flows are still an issue since banks are hesitant to work the pot money through the systems. They need to fix that first.

There will be some wealthy people from this new legal industry. Being a first mover and not even being good at it still looks like it'll net some serious cash. The ones who are good at it are going to be seriously successful because of the barriers to entry in the market and the risks.

And so society is hell-bent to eliminate cigarettes, but promoting smoking joints. We've come  long way America. The stoners of the 60's are having their effect now. 

Completely agree.  I just don't understand the mentality driving this.  As a physician who sees first-hand the devastating effects of tobacco, I don't understand how they rationalize this

Now I do not smoke... but one can not compare  a joint to a commercial cigarette...one is natural and the other is loaded with added chemicals....plus I've not heard of ppl getting their nicotine fix through baking. Many pot users do not smoke they ingest it. Do I want many more ppl on the road under the influence no...but as far as long term health effects...I'd rather see ppl using pot than alcohol or tobacco. 

• Like 2

Now I do not smoke... but one can not compare  a joint to a commercial cigarette...one is natural and the other is loaded with added chemicals....plus I've not heard of ppl getting their nicotine fix through baking. Many pot users do not smoke they ingest it. Do I want many more ppl on the road under the influence no...but as far as long term health effects...I'd rather see ppl using pot than alcohol or tobacco. 

I completely agree with you grow. Of course there is going to be pros and cons to this. A lot of people (like some who commented above) aren't willing to look at both sides of the story.

So many users here ask others to see our side of gun control or the benefits to hunting but if the topic is foreign to them they struggle to do the same. Educate yourself, then make your own educated decision..

I completely agree with you grow. Of course there is going to be pros and cons to this. A lot of people (like some who commented above) aren't willing to look at both sides of the story.

So many users here ask others to see our side of gun control or the benefits to hunting but if the topic is foreign to them they struggle to do the same. Educate yourself, then make your own educated decision..

There are innumerous articles in peer-reviewed medical journals that find it highly likely that there an association of marijuana smoking and lung cancer.

" Marijuana smoking, like tobacco smoking, may be associated with an increased risk of lung cancer.  MJ smoke contains cannaboid compounds and other toxic factors such as benzopyrene similar to tobacco that have been linked to lung cancer"

Archives of Internal Medicine

Ingestion is likely a safer route if you are going to use MJ

• Like 1

Directly inhaling any kind of smoke is inherently dangerous, although some things are definitely more toxic than others when burned.

The legalization of marijuana has nothing to do with peoples' health anyway. It's entirely about money. Taxi it and the government makes money; stop having to house people in prisons and spending money to put them there, and the government saves money.

I don't partake of the substance myself, so I'll stop here.

• Like 1

I have no claim to credibility when it comes to smoking or ingesting pot, but I suspect that it really shares a lot of the same health risks as tobacco, as well as has a list of dangerous chemical and side effects of it's own. My guess is that we have heard on radio, TV and newsprint much more about the health risks of what is affectionately called "Big Tobacco" (anything being billed as evil has the word 'big' emphasized before it....lol) than anyone has heard about in terms of health risks of pot. It just hasn't reached the level of usage that has turned on the fanatics yet. But I do remember a time when the hazards of cigarette smoke was unknown, or ignored, or down-played too. So whether the comparison of nicotine with the chemical contents of pot are something that can be legitimately compared, I'll leave that up those that are more qualified to judge, but it still seems very hypocritical to be condemning one while government gets actively involved with the distribution and marketing of the other.

The government is also very actively condemning, vilifying, and demonizing the single most important advance in Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR) that's ever come about, namely  vaping, (personal vaporizers and electronic cigarettes). This technology is enabling millions of people around the world to either reduce, or completely eliminate, their tobacco use. Why would governments do this?

The bottom line is, the US government doesn't currently make any money from vaping. They do, however, make billions of dollars per year (on the order of $60B) from having people use tobacco products. Vaping is seen as a serious threat to a revenue stream for them. This is not tin-foil-hat territory, this is public record, and I'll be happy to send anyone links to the studies if they're interested.

Legalization of marijuana would appear, in this context, an attempt to get ahead of a boomerang they tossed for themselves many years ago.

I don't use it and I won't defend it, but I will always look closely at the reasoning that surrounds the legislation of it.

I don't use it and I won't defend it, but I will always look closely at the reasoning that surrounds the legislation of it.

:clapping: bravo sir. I respect anyone who can look at all sides of a situation and form an educated decision based on all the info they've gathered. Unfortunately not many can do this...

as long as regular cigarettes are legal and continue to create health problems, I really don't care if marijuana is legalized and has the same effects on those who use it............I'm sure there is no shortage of people who suck down a 12 pack of beer, or a quart of booze everyday along with their daily double digit cigarette habit and create as much, if not more, of a public safety and health risk as a person who smokes pot.

• Like 6

One trouble with that is we do have to pay for it with higher insurance premiums and hospital costs, even if you don't smoke, part of your premium is from the elevated risk the carriers have in payouts. Sure, you pay more as a smoker, but you are not paying 100% of the risk costs. That's diluted across the board partially. The associated healthcare costs of a non-smoker vs. a smoker are astronomical.

It happens in other things, too, but smoking stands out above the rest in exposure and financial implications.

Completely agree. I just don't understand the mentality driving this. As a physician who sees first-hand the devastating effects of tobacco, I don't understand how they rationalize this

One simply doesn't smoke 20 (or more) joints in a day inhaling repeatedly as with a cigarette.

This is just like gun laws written by people that have little understanding of the subject. You are comparing 2 different activities that have far different usage habits.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 4

Not to mention the effects it seems to have on one's intelligence. Take Obama as an example.......

One can only speculate on what sort of severe trauma (either physical or drug induced) would have to have been present in the past to result in your particular neurological condition.

One simply doesn't smoke 20 (or more) joints in a day inhaling repeatedly as with a cigarette.

This is just like gun laws written by people that have little understanding of the subject. You are comparing 2 different activities that have far different usage habits.

Ha-ha-ha-ha .... apparently the voice of an expert.

• Like 1