Firework Sales In New York

I used to love that too. Nothing beat Led Zep cranked to "11."

Now that I have developed some asymmetrical hearing loss and a rather bad case of Tinnitus, I regret my previous love for loud things. Turns out even frequent use of power tools can cause hearing problems over time.

Note to younger self: Turn down the music. Always use _quality_ hearing protection.

Yeah I know, you'd think a safety leader would know better? Haha

It sounds to me like a huge majority of the replies to this thread agree with me. Blow your damned hands to pieces if that's what you need to do for kicks, but when your nonsense begins to infringe on my safety and quality of life ...... KNOCK IT OFF!!!!

I have seen people who otherwise are fairly intelligent, reasonable, people setting off fireworks during a county fire alert warning. I have seen them setting off aerial fireworks in cities and tightly packed suburbs. As others have said, no one gives a rip anymore about what kinds of disturbances that are caused to their neighbors because of their love of noise. Leave the danged things illegal and only in the hands of professionals. 

It sounds to me like a huge majority of the replies to this thread agree with me. Blow your damned hands to pieces if that's what you need to do for kicks, but when your nonsense begins to infringe on my safety and quality of life ...... KNOCK IT OFF!!!!

I have seen people who otherwise are fairly intelligent, reasonable, people setting off fireworks during a county fire alert warning. I have seen them setting off aerial fireworks in cities and tightly packed suburbs. As others have said, no one gives a rip anymore about what kinds of disturbances that are caused to their neighbors because of their love of noise. Leave the danged things illegal and only in the hands of professionals. 

let me ask you this and I know the can of worms it'll open.

I've bitched on here a few times about my dad's neighbors who built their own personal gun range. Perfectly safe and they're good law abiding gun owners. BUT, when you start at 11am on a saturday and don't quit shooting till dusk? even worse when they do it during bow season?

then tell me this. What's the difference? 

I've bitched on here a few times about my dad's neighbors who built their own personal gun range. Perfectly safe and they're good law abiding gun owners. BUT, when you start at 11am on a saturday and don't quit shooting till dusk? even worse when they do it during bow season?

You are right, there isn't much difference.  I guess some people live in a remote enough place where gunfire noise won't be bothersome to any neighbors, but even in many rural settings these days there are enough houses around to hear it.   And gunfire is LOUD and can carry a good distance.  I guess in some places it's an acceptable rural sound, but I think a good argument could be made against it just as with fireworks.  

You are right, there isn't much difference.  I guess some people live in a remote enough place where gunfire noise won't be bothersome to any neighbors, but even in many rural settings these days there are enough houses around to hear it.   And gunfire is LOUD and can carry a good distance.  I guess in some places it's an acceptable rural sound, but I think a good argument could be made against it just as with fireworks.  

we're remote, but it doesn't stop the noise from traveling. Normally it's not a big deal but I recall specifically a family bbq where it was pretty obnoxious. It would have been obnoxious whether it was fireworks, guns or dirtbikes. It honestly boils down to a respect thing.

we're remote, but it doesn't stop the noise from traveling. Normally it's not a big deal but I recall specifically a family bbq where it was pretty obnoxious. It would have been obnoxious whether it was fireworks, guns or dirtbikes. It honestly boils down to a respect thing.

I think if someone fires off 10 or 15 rounds within a half hour it won't bother too many people in a rural setting.  But I've heard people say, even on this site a couple years ago that they fire off like a tin (a few hundred rounds) with their AK rifles in their backyards within close distance to a number of homes.  That is BS!  These people either need to find some property deep in the woods somewhere to shoot away from civilization, OR find themselves a range to shoot at.  Even most ranges won't put up with some clown firing off hundreds of rounds just because they want to see how hot the gun barrel will get!!  These type of people are nothing more than a NUISANCE, whether they are firing in their backyards or at a range.

Woah now,there is nothing obnoxious about the sweet sweet sounds of a dirtbike in the hands of someone who knows how to ride . Now Harleys are obnoxious 2 wheeled vehicles.

That too is a blatant disregard for their neighbors. Whenever I go out to shoot my guns, I first call the neighbors to let them know, just so that the first shot doesn't startle them. If it ever happened that I was going to shoot for an extended time, I would be going to the gun club shooting range where that kind of noise disruption is customary and expected, for specifically the reason you have come up with. That kind of neighborhood disruption is really not that necessary. I will say that at least in the instance that you are describing, the safety aspect has been taken care of. With aerial fireworks neither the safety or the noise is of any concern to those shooting them off.

Back when I lived in Richmond Virginia (fireworks are legal, but there are still idiots) a neighbor sent up a fireworks, took out the transformer in the alley way 11:00 at night.  We hear pop -> whiz , the second or third time, the lights go out and sparks are coming out of the transformer.

This was in an old part of the city, as the ally was all cobble stone and still had carriage houses along it.  Smart place for fireworks...

I think if someone fires off 10 or 15 rounds within a half hour it won't bother too many people in a rural setting.  But I've heard people say, even on this site a couple years ago that they fire off like a tin (a few hundred rounds) with their AK rifles in their backyards within close distance to a number of homes.  That is BS!  These people either need to find some property deep in the woods somewhere to shoot away from civilization, OR find themselves a range to shoot at.  Even most ranges won't put up with some clown firing off hundreds of rounds just because they want to see how hot the gun barrel will get!!  These type of people are nothing more than a NUISANCE, whether they are firing in their backyards or at a range.

This would probably be considered deep in the woods by most peoples standards, but again any rifle will travel so us and the neighbors can hear it all too well. What makes it worse is that it's become a place to go and shoot for all their buddies. So yes, it's at least a few hundred rounds on a saturday and normally not just pistols. We site in and pattern our guns a few times a year. I don't believe most people mind that. It's the "gun club" range that becomes an issue and I'm not sure my father has any legal recourse to stop it.

Woah now,there is nothing obnoxious about the sweet sweet sounds of a dirtbike in the hands of someone who knows how to ride . Now Harleys are obnoxious 2 wheeled vehicles.

so now we get to the root of the discussion. What is sweet, sweet harmony to one person is nails on a chalkboard to the next guy. I think that's really what this all boils down to.

• Like 1

All I know is if I find the a-hole  with the rumbling rattling muffler from the next road over,BTW same road fire works are coming off.....I'll rip them a new one! I was sound asleep at 1:38 this morning when they decided to light what ever they were driving up and peeled out..mid you over 3/4 mile away and a dense wooded area between us and it woke me up! The older one gets...the harder it is to get back to sleep...3am

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...

My neighborhood is a war zone right now. I like it! I don't have anything this year. Kinda weird.

Same here !! Just got back from a neighborhood  party, where non drunk, responsible adults put up a hell of a display, and right now my whole neighborhood is blasting away…I like it too, and for the first time in years I have nothing to contribute……..Oh well. Happy 4th !!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have had people setting of mortar type in our neighborhood as long as we have lived here. I think they use them to try and cover the gun shots. Living in the hood is a lot of fun!

I thought the dates were for sales only. My g/f picked up a $50 pack from BJ's. We only used a few, just to see what they did. Were in Schoharie Co. for the weekend of the 4th which was a banned Co., so we didn't take any camping. I was under the impression you could use them if they were the legal ones when ever. I read the data on this link:

http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/news/sparklingdevices.cfm

I may have missed something but I could not find anything on using them. I most likely missed that section.

She wants to have a cook out later in the month or next month and have me set them off, mainly for the kids to watch.

Guess I will just call the local police and ask tomorrow to be sure.

Not everyone is an idiot who like to use fireworks. Young punks. drunks, and flat out stupid people using them will be bad. I looked around the web for news about fire work accidents when we got back from our camping trip and found very few to my amazement. I found less this year then I heard about last year.

We are! Saving money to buy our own house with some land for hunting! But thanks for the advice! 

My point was, from what I read and heard, the restrictions were for sales, not usage.

Leave the "HOOD"

O......K.....Let me explain this a bit more slowly!

My girlfriend bought one of the $50 packs of fireworks from BJ's.

Are you with me so far?

She wants to have a cookout and use the rest of the pack later this month, or in August.

Still with me?

I can't find anything stating she/we can't do that.

Still with me?

So I have to call the local cops and ask if we can set them off or not.

Still there?

She wants to have me use them and set them off for the kids at said cookout.

Am I getting through? Can you read? 

On a side note, I used to like using a magnifying glass to burn ants, it was fun.

Im not concerned with the fireworks crap..With me so far???  I know the "HOOD" and Im saying if you can get out…do so… "Are you with me so far??"

On a side note……NO ONE..ever burned me. A lot of other things but never burned …Good luck.

Edited by ants

Glad it makes sense to you now. So glad you keep posting on a thread that you say doesn't matter to you. Thanks for actually being informative! Your wisdom will be remembered until the next time I use the toilet.

May God bless you in all you do. Someone needs too!

Edited by ....rob

Glad it makes sense to you now. So glad you keep posting on a thread that you say doesn't matter to you. Thanks for actually being informative! Your wisdom will be remembered until the next time I use the toilet.

May God bless you in all you do. Someone needs too!

Always did…….good luck

And thanx for the Ass Nasty high intellectual comment…LOL  Smart stuff right there!!! 

Good luck anyway…And I mean that..Get out…..

Edited by ants