22 cal LR

sweet old bill

I just want to ask one question of all the guys who have witnessed the hoarders first hand, and I realize the answer will be anecdotal at best.

I'm just curious how many of the people spoken of in the above posts are black. The ones you see in line time and time again, waiting outside the store before opening, etc. Statically depending on where you live it should all average out to be no more than 2 in 10.

Why are you bringing up race?? I realize Im taking the bait…But why the race thing??

I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to, and I am fortunate to have bought what will probably be a lifetime supply for me well before the hoarding and price gouging began..Most of the ammo I have was bought at $8.99 per brick of 500..

Just as a comparison...I bought his ammo perhaps in the 1990s...

That's about 90 cents per box of 50.. When I was a teenager in the early 1960s, the local hardware store sold boxes of 50 for 80 cents for LR solids, and 90 cents for LR hollow points.. Not a big increase in 30 years...Compare that to TODAY's prices...

I was going through my ammo a while ago. I found a 50 round box of Winchester Wild Cat 22LR. the price sticker was 77 cents..LOL!   I don't even remember where I got it from..I must have been in my teens when I picked it up..

.22 sales spiked the first year Obama came into office and has stayed high ever since. i am curious, I know what I see on Long Island, which has a higher black population than other areas of the state, I am curious what others were seeing.

Around me, 22 sales spiked with the enactment of the SAFE act. Right after that sham was introduced, just about ALL ammo disappeared from store shelves.  Everything, other than 22 is now readily available. 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 spcl., 357 Mag, 223, 5.56,  308 and  most all other hunting rifle rounds are stacked high. 22 LR still disappears as fast as it becomes available. People are still HOARDING it. Don't know exactly why. I think it may have something to do with the huge number of 22 LR firearms that are out there and the fact that ammo for those firearms is dirt cheap. Because of LIL King Andy's sham of a law, I think people feel that someday the King ( Who ever the King) may make ammo almost impossible to get and people want to stock up on as much as they can. The cheapest way to go is 22 LR.   500 rounds of 22 LR will run about 25-30 bucks. 500 rounds of say 9mm, which is the cheapest centerfire pistol ammo out there, will run you at least $150.00.

Except the .22 shortage is not only in New York and non nonexistent in some places. The scope of this board being New York I was curious as to the hoarder profile.

I think the Safe Act has caught nationwide attention and has had a ripple effect on the psyche of most gun owners who see the successes of the leftist anti-gun nuts of NYS as a symbol of what can happen and perhaps are even seeing it as a harbinger of the state of affairs regarding future firearms regulations in their own state or area. The fact is that some of this hoarding and shortages extend northward beyond our country's borders.

Sure, I think the election of a super-flaming liberal to head the country has made gun owners everywhere rightfully fear the worst. It sure doesn't make me feel super comfy having an avowed anti-gun head of state. But when you add that to the ridiculous affront to the 2nd Amendment that Cuomo and his gang of constitution burners perpetrated with this safe act, I have to say that gun owners should be feeling considerably uncomfortable these days. And for some people that discomfort results in a misguided urge to hoard as much ammo as possible.

If the last 30 years of attacks on the 2nd amendment , Obama getting elected twice did not teach you to stock up ,

I'm at a loss on what to say .

Hoarding is causing a whole lot of inconvenience and frustration for fellow shooters, but in a way I kind for understand it. Maybe I'm just angry because I didn't think of stocking up before all this shortage stuff started....lol.

Those that are hoarding for profit and engaging in gouging fellow shooters should be ashamed of themselves. But those who are simply ensuring a supply that they will be personally using, are probably just those who thought far enough ahead to ensure that they could always feed their guns. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

So, can anyone explain why the ammo manufacturers are not responding as any business would. ..... Boost production to meet demand. Yes, I can understand why they might not instantly react to a spike that they believe to be merely a temporary blip in demand, but for crying out loud, this I now going on for a period of time that is now measured in years. Damn, just out of respect to their stockholders, they should be making hay while the sun shines. You have an expanding market ..... get out there and make money off of it. Why isn't that happening.

• Like 1

The capital equipment required to manufacture rim-fire ammo is very expensive.  Manufactures are not willing to invest the cash to meet the temporary spike in demand.  For those impatient folks wanting to shoot more now, get yourselves a bb gun.   Shooting is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about finding and paying lots of money for ammo.      

The capital equipment required to manufacture rim-fire ammo is very expensive.  Manufactures are not willing to invest the cash to meet the temporary spike in demand.  For those impatient folks wanting to shoot more now, get yourselves a bb gun.   Shooting is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about finding and paying lots of money for ammo.      

So what is so temporary about it? We are into at least 2 or 3 years of these shortages, with no let-up in sight. As far as tooling, that is merely the cost of doing business and is viewed as any investment which apparently they get a damned good return on. It is simply another aspect to actually being in business. You have a demand, you expand to meet that demand. I don't get it. It's a lucrative business that is going unsatisfied. So what is the real story?

I don't consider my self a hoarder, in the last two years I bought one brick and two 100 packs of cci although I could have bought tons more .I replaced basically what I shot up ,about a brick a year, but I believe in keeping supplies at home not the store shelf , so I keep a five to ten year stock of what I know I'll use. The old ammo in the pic I got at a garage sale a few years back few thousand assorted rounds for about $80.

One should always keep a shock of consumables on hand , and a consumable like ammo that's always under attack , to ban , limit , tax and heck out right outlaw should be at the top of a shooters list. For those with short memories we saw the same thing happen with .380 ammo what five or six years ago? Could not find it ,white box was like $30 bucks when you did ,some learn from the past some repeat it .

I used to like Black Talon ammo, Winchester withdrew it from the market in 1,996 I killed a seven point with it three years ago...,,