Nov 7th?? why the late start?

Mike DBH

I just checked out the dec site, crossbow starts nov 7th this year.. it was nove 1st last year...So I shelled out 700$ for a crossbow and I only get to used it for 2 weeks assuming I havent tagged out with my compound yet. SMH

Edited by Mike DBH

I just checked out the dec site, crossbow starts nov 7th this year.. it was nove 1st last year...So I shelled out 700$ for a crossbow and I only get to used it for 2 weeks assuming I havent tagged out with my compound yet. SMH

what????? it's only two weeks regardless of when the start date is, is it not? I think archery runs a week later this year, which in effect bumps the crossbow to a later start date..........you didn't lose anything.

• Like 11

what????? it's only two weeks regardless of when the start date is, is it not? I think archery runs a week later this year, which in effect bumps the crossbow to a later start date..........you didn't lose anything.

I see your point but its the dates that are lost, not so much the amount of time that bother me. Im usually tagged out by the 7th, this thing seems useless to me now.

I see your point but its the dates that are lost, not so much the amount of time that bother me. Im usually tagged out by the 7th, this thing seems useless to me now.

oh, I thought you were bothered by only getting to use it for two weeks........the later date actually puts you closer to the rut period which is a good thing, at least most of the bowhunters I've spoken to are happy about this.

He's right jjb. Last year the early bow season started 10/1, and last year crossbow started 11/1. This year opening day early is the same, but crossbow is 11/7.

NM, lol.

while the date may change, it still starts the last 2 weeks of archery....so it's still two weeks of crossbow, you don't lose any time..........last year the regular season opened Nov. 15th, this year it starts a week later on the 21st.

Edited by jjb4900

oh, I thought you were bothered by only getting to use it for two weeks........the later date actually puts you closer to the rut period which is a good thing, at least most of the bowhunters I've spoken to are happy about this.

Not to get into a xbow debate but if using one on nov 1st was ok last year, it should be ok this year, if gun starts a week later this year than why not 3 weeks of crossbow? closer to the rut doesnt matter because last year I had a rifle in my hand on this years "closer to the rut" crossbow week, so Im not really gaining any advantage am I?

Edited by Mike DBH

Not to get into a xbow debate but if using one on nov 1st was ok last year, it should be ok this year, if gun starts a week later this year than why not 3 weeks of crossbow? closer to the rut doesnt matter because last year I had a rifle in my hand on this years "closer to the rut" crossbow week, so Im not really gaining advantage am I?

because I believe the law states crossbow is legal during the last two weeks of archery, not a specific date..........much like the regular southern zone season starts "the 3rd Saturday in November"....not a specific date.

• Like 2

Not to get into a xbow debate but if using one on nov 1st was ok last year, it should be ok this year, if gun starts a week later this year than why not 3 weeks of crossbow? closer to the rut doesnt matter because last year I had a rifle in my hand on this years "closer to the rut" crossbow week, so Im not really gaining any advantage am I?

So what is your point? The regs are what they are at this point. You would have known that to be the case the very first day the "last two weeks" reg was released because the DEC posts out future season dates publicly.

• Like 3

The legislature passes last two weeks for crossbow, dec just runs regs it doesn't make them, we don't even have a season till legislature passes it every year... we need to get an amendment to state constitution for right to hunt and to be regulated by game comission, then we can have game law enforcement and seasons and weapons picked by dec and not of bunch of men in suits, there wouldn't be a crossbow debate as de ec could do what it wants and put it in all of archery with no political be lobbing by special interest groups...

• Like 2

Can you send the link? I can't find it on DEC website I still see 2014-15 season.

what does one have to do with the other...smh

Well, you bought the crossbow knowing (or should have known) full well that the season encompasses the last 2 weeks of bow season. Just like someone buying a full size truck knows, or should know, that they are not all that fuel efficient.

BTW, you should also know that you can use your crossbow during all of gun season, and all of late muzzleloader/bow season as well.

Hope you didnt smack your head too hard.

• Like 1

I have a weapon for every season and or opportunity to hunt deer knowing full well that I may very well not get to use many of them.........never looked at it as a waste of money, just something to keep me in the game if one doesn't pan out.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Well, you bought the crossbow knowing (or should have known) full well that the season encompasses the last 2 weeks of bow season. Just like someone buying a full size truck knows, or should know, that they are not all that fuel efficient.

BTW, you should also know that you can use your crossbow during all of gun season, and all of late muzzleloader/bow season as well.

Hope you didnt smack your head too hard.

EEEEEEEEF YOU Moderate that

I'll beat any pawn shop around and give you $200 cold hard cash for it...?

• Like 1