What will cause you to drop a dime on another hunter?

Doc

Well, I'm not sure that this thread answered any earth-shattering questions for anyone, but at least it was a good airing of all the fears and attitudes that people have about civilian involvement in law enforcement. I have to say that I do understand pieces of every argument.

Personally I have an attitude that relies on motives or intents and the possibilities that violations may or may not be repeated that determine whether I will blow the whistle.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, so says the government. But if I am convinced that the violator really didn't have a clue about the law or the interpretation of it, I likely will let a first offence slide without reporting it. I have seen enough instances of mass confusion on this forum regarding the laws, that I can certainly be sympathetic in that area. On the other hand, I don't want to hear bragging about law breaking or any signal that violations are intentional. That will get me involved damn quick regardless of the consequences.

There is also an element of severity that enters into my decision to report or not report. Some things are not worth the hassle for me, the DEC, or the violator to even bother with. It's a judgment call.

Is that all the exact correct way to deal with reporting violations? .... I don't know, but it is my way.

• Like 5

Well when he said foreign that left the door wide open but when he said salmon that closed it on what foreigners it was. Ukrainians, has to be, not because Im being racist because I live on the Salmon River and its choked full of Ukrainians with trunks full of salmon heading back to NYC to sell. Even had FBI knocking on door asking about them last year. Crazy

Correct

Well, I'm not sure that this thread answered any earth-shattering questions for anyone, but at least it was a good airing of all the fears and attitudes that people have about civilian involvement in law enforcement. I have to say that I do understand pieces of every argument.

Personally I have an attitude that relies on motives or intents and the possibilities that violations may or may not be repeated that determine whether I will blow the whistle.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, so says the government. But if I am convinced that the violator really didn't have a clue about the law or the interpretation of it, I likely will let a first offence slide without reporting it. I have seen enough instances of mass confusion on this forum regarding the laws, that I can certainly be sympathetic in that area. On the other hand, I don't want to hear bragging about law breaking or any signal that violations are intentional. That will get me involved damn quick regardless of the consequences.

There is also an element of severity that enters into my decision to report or not report. Some things are not worth the hassle for me, the DEC, or the violator to even bother with. It's a judgment call.

Is that all the exact correct way to deal with reporting violations? .... I don't know, but it is my way.

Works for me! BUT..When you have made repeated calls..The first 2 with out even a reply. that there is middle of the night killing going on and they do nothing, That will give ya sour grapes for awhile. I have a military base across the road of a dark road and have went as far as sitting in a treestand, have a shiner come down the road shinning the field and i click my light on and shine back at him. That will make a light go out quick and a truck speed up. lol

Perfect spot for the dummy deer but they have no time!  You can bank on an overnight kill on that road the first night that snow blankets that field. Year in and year out.  One fella must have got real scared and drug one for 100 yards towards the road and then left it in the middle of the field.

I own hunting land with five other friends. For over 40 years we have dealt with a epic family of poachers next to us.

After 30 years of trying to live with these people we finally turned over pictures of one member of the family carrying a gun while being a convicted felon. He was sentenced to ten years in prison and did every single day of that sentence.

He was let out last year. Now we live in fear of retaliation.

I own hunting land with five other friends. For over 40 years we have dealt with a epic family of poachers next to us.

After 30 years of trying to live with these people we finally turned over pictures of one member of the family carrying a gun while being a convicted felon. He was sentenced to ten years in prison and did every single day of that sentence.

And you most likely are right and the day will come when he wants to even the score. Hope he is not to much of a redneck!

• Like 1

This isn't criticism...Thinking on it logically, if there were to be retaliation  I would think it would have manifested long before his ever getting out...prison ,pretty good alibi. As for him being out..lets see...he did 10yrs for a picture of him holding a gun in hunting season....do you really think he would do something even dumber when he'd clearly be the first person who's door got knocked on?? I tend to think ppl don't enjoy prison I could be wrong...but you know more about these ppl than I.

BTW how were things at your place for those 10 yrs?

This isn't criticism...Thinking on it logically, if there were to be retaliation  I would think it would have manifested long before his ever getting out...prison ,pretty good alibi. As for him being out..lets see...he did 10yrs for a picture of him holding a gun in hunting season....do you really think he would do something even dumber when he'd clearly be the first person who's door got knocked on?? I tend to think ppl don't enjoy prison I could be wrong...but you know more about these ppl than I.

Grow, if the majority of criminals exercised that level of logic, most of them wouldn't be felons in the first place. 

do you really think he would do something even dumber when he'd clearly be the first person who's door got knocked on?? I tend to think ppl don't enjoy prison I could be wrong...but you know more about these ppl than I.

I think you can ask anyone who is in law enforcement or in the criminal legal system.  The vast majority of people who get locked up have been there before.  I think it's the rare case that someone who gets out of jail will stay completely clean for the rest of their lives.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

Grow, if the majority of criminals exercised that level of logic, most of them wouldn't be felons in the first place. 

Yeah no shite...Must not ever watch the tube or read the paper. When the time is right and the mood strikes..Bingo.

Point is you now watch over your shoulder for the rest of your life for maybe sticking your nose in someone else's business.  If they dont come knocking on your life then let it be.  

The flip side of that is they all would be constant repeat offenders. I also know that being a criminal doesn't make you lacking intelligence...there are many smart felons out there, they just tried the easy way through life ...I tend not to spend my life worrying about the what ifs...I've seen too much of life nasty side to waste my life thinking doing whats right is going to hurt me.

Now have the final word..I'll just say upfront I'll be ignoring it....I've given my opinion I think with out calling names or belittling but if I did apologies not intended and hold to it through being referred to as a busy body, Rat,and a few other things...It has not opened my eyes to anything I did not know several years ago about ppl in general ... There are some guys here that I have a lot of respect for.  you would know who you are, some I feel sorry for and a few aren't worth the time thinking about it one way or another to me.

Everyone has to live their lives according to how they deal, that's fine  and best to each of you...

Edited by growalot

100's of people are arrested everyday based on the complaints of other people......the number of acts of retribution pale in comparison to that number. There's no doubt that there are those who stop at no extreme in getting some type of revenge, but I don't believe that is the norm....the vast majority of people arrested or ticketed are just those who made a stupid choice and it caught up with them..........now, I don't live in an area that produces hardcore poachers, and maybe they are a different type of animal, but I think as a whole, those who get caught smarten up a bit.......but that's just my thoughts.

Edited by jjb4900

This isn't criticism...Thinking on it logically, if there were to be retaliation I would think it would have manifested long before his ever getting out...prison ,pretty good alibi. As for him being out..lets see...he did 10yrs for a picture of him holding a gun in hunting season....do you really think he would do something even dumber when he'd clearly be the first person who's door got knocked on?? I tend to think ppl don't enjoy prison I could be wrong...but you know more about these ppl than I.

He's a convicted felon. Then he was sentenced to an additional 10 years for possession of a firearm while a felon. That's at least twice that he's been in prison. Are you that naive to think that criminals will think, oh, if I retaliate by killing this family that ratted me out, I'll go back to prison, and the prison food isn't all that great? For all you know, he might just save that last round for himself after he's done.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

100's of people are arrested everyday based on the complaints of other people......the number of acts of retribution pale in comparison to that number. There's no doubt that there are those who stop at no extreme in getting some type of revenge, but I don't believe that is the norm....the vast majority of people arrested or ticketed are just those who made a stupid choice and it caught up with them..........now, I don't live in an area that produces hardcore poachers, and maybe they are a different type of animal, but I think as a whole, those who get caught smarten up a bit.......but that's just my thoughts.

I would think most that get arrested, charged, convicted, then sentenced to 10 years don't live right next door to the person directly responsible. It's a little different when you are seeing the person that turned you in, day in, and day out. It's kind of a mental slap in the face, everyday. And one day, something's going to snap.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

OK so I do have to...In answering this I will take into consideration your location and your age.

No I am not naive ...What  I am is older than you and living in a world away culturally.

Perhaps you are naive in thinking how many felons are out there. Ones that are not violent due to the marijuana laws of my time..or how many are out there now due to DWI's so yes I'm looking at this logically and with some knowledge. I also know several felons that went and got special dispositions due to those old laws and can now legally hunt with rifles. To be honest...there are a whole lot of felons out here in the country...ones a Methodist pastor...go figure

The ten years were better. His brother and nephew here around but both were in rehab and jail on and off.

He is a very violent person having been arrested for domestic violence, arson and burglary. He was on parole at the time. He did his full time because of his behavior in jail.

It had to be done but still sucks that his is out.

Well that actually sounds like whether you turned him in or not that you could have potential problems with any of them...I would assume you sent the picture anonymously? Or at the least told  police due to the the situation to keep your name out of it?... Then did not say anything to anyone...oopppss Well the cats out of the bag now! isn't it.....Ya think he or the family hit the internet hunting sites?...Lord