What will cause you to drop a dime on another hunter?

Doc

I didn't want to sidetrack the "salt lick" topic, so I decided to build a new one. That thread made me wonder what it takes to stir us into action when witnessing illegal hunting activity (not necessarily related only to neighbors).

It looks like we all have a different violation that would trigger off what kind of action we might take, or even if we would take any action at all. I find it interesting to see just where we would draw the line. Would it take witnessing someone (neighbor or whatever) using illegal tactics, taking an illegal deer or failing to tag a deer, or shooting one at night. Does it make a significant difference whether the violator is a neighbor, or acquaintance or a total stranger.

In general, what kind of violation would it take for you to get involved? Is there anything that would get you involved or do you believe it is strictly the DEC's responsibility alone to deal or report such things?

By the way "getting involved" could be in the form of having a discussion with them about the violation, calling in the DEC or making a citizen's arrest or some similar direct action. Not getting involved would be leaving the areas with no action or acknowledgement at all.

Baiting

2 or 3 deer hanging untagged in the barn or garage

Jacking deer at night

Killing a deer prior to the opening of the season

Hunting on ground where you are not supposed to be

Tresspassing and killing deer...etc,etc.

Have witnessed all of the above and have called for every one.It effects me.

It's a little different where I hunt than most areas.I don't think you should be selective when it comes to reporting violations-if you don't report them-you think it's OK and you are contributing to the problem.

Also interesting to note that NONE of the above incidents involved ANTLERLESS DEER.

Edited by Vinny Tagalucci
  • Like 1

For me, it's primarily activities that involved taking more deer than your fair share, i.e. not tagging, using someone else's tag, etc. Or, activities that jeopardize the safety of others, i.e. shooting across a road, etc.  

Tactics that involve HOW you take your deer, like baiting and the like, I don't like, and I choose not to do myself, but I don't see any reason to get involved.  I know, I know, it affects us all, but if a guy needs to resort to illegal tactics to kill his deer, that's between him and his psychologist.  Not my business. 

The DEC is on your side as a legal hunter that plays by the rules.If you choose to hunt on the other side of the line-they are not your friend-simple as that.

Lots of people seem to hold them in very low regard.Not sure why.I know several personally.They hunt and fish just like me.They don't like poachers and rule breakers-just like me.

Word spreads quick.All the local officers know who to look out for.They know the names and the vehicles and the addresses.

Every area has the typical outlaw that has a reputation for bending and breaking the rules.Some around these parts have a large trophy wall.Means nothing if most of the mounts were poached.It boosts their ego and allows them to seem god like in some uninformed eyes.

Some guys feel that that is OK for these types and look the other way.And again the broken and bent rules are never because of antlerless deer and small bucks.

I like having the DEC on my side-I don't like hunting and fishing while looking over my shoulder.

If its not on my property then i am not getting involved.. In today world there very well could come a time when you stick your nose in someone else's business you could very well regret that for life.

I would have to ask Vinny...Does anyone you dropped a dime on know it was you that dropped it on them?

• Like 1

That's about it...The new neighbor yesterday showered our home and driveway ...while we stood in the drive with either shot or some sort of fire works debri(by the way it's drier than a popcorn fart here)..seeing it was in the middle of the day. I say shot...I yelled the second time....and after 15 mins the 3rd time I screamed at him...then it stopped....We were both in the middle of trying to get something done and I didn't go down but there will be a conversation and next time the cops called...my land surrounds him and he manages to shower our home 3x's! I would have called but when I went down with a pie after they moved in and gave them my name and #  only his wife was there...She never gave me there last name nor his first and did not exchange  their number with me...he has never attempted to introduce him self when we see him at his mail box. Which is next to our lower drive... point is I try being decent first then all bets are off.

If its not on my property then i am not getting involved.. In today world there very well could come a time when you stick your nose in someone else's business you could very well regret that for life.

I would have to ask Vinny...Does anyone you dropped a dime on know it was you that dropped it on them?

Yes- and I was not the only one.A little different here where I hunt.

I also don't believe in the "snitches get stitches" gangster,outlaw mentality.If the violators planned retribution or revenge?........well....may god have mercy on their soul.

• Like 4

Yes- and I was not the only one.A little different here where I hunt.

I also don't believe in the "snitches get stitches" gangster,outlaw mentality.If the violators planned retribution or revenge?........well....may god have mercy on their soul.

LOL...Yeah if its not your soul that goes first,  I have seen a few retaliations in the past.  Up in South Colton at our Barney Pond camp  have seen camps burnt, Trucks trashed and one night at Hamm's Inn watched a local off duty ECO get just a total beat down by someone that i guess lost hunting time for a few years because of.

If it has nothing to do with me and mine i will let it be. If someone crosses the line and brings me into the picture then its all fair game.

Lets just hope your luck continues to run true...

Yesterday, I was down to the local Agway and ran into a guy that lives down the road a ways. Not a friend but I've known him for years. He had eight bags of cracked corn that he had just purchased. I said "hi, what's up", he came right out and told me he was getting ready for deer season in four weeks! I mumbled something like "yeah, too bad" and walked away. The more I thought about it the more mad I am at myself for not totally going off on this guy/poacher. Would it have made any difference? Probably not. Should I call DEC and drop a dime? What do I tell them, so and so was buying corn to bait deer? Even if he doesn't have livestock, it's not illegal to buy corn. And the thing is, this Agway will be almost sold out of "feed", between now and hunting season. Apparently there are a lot of poachers in this area baiting deer. And most if not all should know better!

LOL...Yeah if its not your soul that goes first, I have seen a few retaliations in the past. Up in South Colton at our Barney Pond camp have seen camps burnt, Trucks trashed and one night at Hamm's Inn watched a local off duty ECO get just a total beat down by someone that i guess lost hunting time for a few years because of.

If it has nothing to do with me and mine i will let it be. If someone crosses the line and brings me into the picture then its all fair game.

Lets just hope your luck continues to run true...

Yeah.My gut feeling tells memy luck has nothing to due with luck.

• Like 2

Grampy how right you are...I do buy cracked corn to mix in with my chicken pellets because it's half the cost of pellets and makes the feed last longer...but stop during deer season  just because of what your saying..it makes everyone suspect and the huge pallets of corn at Tractor Supply are always near empty when I go in to buy feed.

Called ECO's for:

• Shooting from inside a vehicle - more than once.
  • Shooting a doe across the road from my house and then walking away without even checking. She was wounded. I followed her trail to posted land then called DEC.
  • Killing 2 of my bronze turkeys in my yard - during deer season, with slugs.
  • Shooting my barking dog. She was 50 yards from the house on my posted property. The house was not visible to the tresspassing hunter. The dog had a slug crease her nose but was otherwise fine. The hunter fled while I put on my boots. There was no snow to track him.

It's a tough one. I do understand the reluctance to stir up retribution. But I also feel that if you witness a violation and do not report it, it is kind of the same as condoning the act. Also, I know that the DEC enforcement staff has been cut to the bone, and have been diverted from wildlife enforcement issues to environmental administration and management. So if we expect wild critters to have the protection of law, it doesn't seem right to simply turn one's back and let poaching continue. But as has been said, some of the retribution can get mighty escalated into some very violent stuff. So the issue isn't always as simple as might be thought.

Remember this thread is not just about neighbors. The question is asked about any hunter violation. I spend a lot of hunting time on state land, so any witnessed violations are likely to involve strangers. Of course being strangers, you have no idea what kind of psycho you might be dealing with ....lol.

Baiting

2 or 3 deer hanging untagged in the barn or garage

Jacking deer at night

Killing a deer prior to the opening of the season

Hunting on ground where you are not supposed to be

Tresspassing and killing deer...etc,etc.

Have witnessed all of the above and have called for every one.It effects me.

It's a little different where I hunt than most areas.I don't think you should be selective when it comes to reporting violations-if you don't report them-you think it's OK and you are contributing to the problem.

Also interesting to note that NONE of the above incidents involved ANTLERLESS DEER.

so 1 untaged deer is ok?