20qrts. of tomtoes simmering....

growalot

slowly on the stove...canning season.... how many are putting up winter supplies this year?...this is always such a busy time.  will be watching a movie while peeling and slicing carrots ...snipping yet more beans for jars of dilly beans...... cutting zucchini for zucchini stew and cabbage for kraut....finally a cool day to can...

• Like 2

We are starting to think about what to plant in our garden in 2 months when the season is finally right.  Down here in S. FL our growing season generally starts in early November.   We are thinking a bed of beets for pickling and a bed of cabbage for kraut, plus the usual hot peppers and tomatoes. 

• Like 1

What time should I be over with my canning jars!!!

I sporadically can. I have not done tomatoes or sauce in a couple years due to having bad tomato growing years. I have done pickles as well once in a while. I need to become a better gardener!!

I do can venison every year.

14 bags of sliced carrots in the freezer plus we had them and fresh green beans for dinner...sauce is put up..plus we had spaghetti for dinner the other night ...but went to the garden to check cabbage...7 more heads ready and the plum tomatoes all ripened at once...another wheel barrels worth..hot peppers need picking 4 eggplants are ready...eeggaddsss!!!  Well it looks like I may not make the gym today......We will be eating well this winter...just no pumpkins,corn or a lot of winter squash...had those last year...funny how things go...Almost forgot...got to pick those young turnips for greens and turnips...every thing grown this year turned out to be Oh so sweet...even the beans

• Like 1

We did tomatoes for sauce all weekend. We had to buy them and seeing everyone we asked said we would get about 10 quarts from a bushel, that's what we bought. We ended up with 24 quarts. First time making sauce. We tested a jar last night and it was great. I can no longer call my g/f a 'city girl'. Making pasta sauce was more time consuming then we though, but we got it done and also did another 8 quarts of hot peppers ( hot cherry and jalapeño ), and two jars of super hot garlic/jalapeño/dill pickles.

Count now is:

About 30 jars of pickles ( ranging from basic dill, garlic dill, hot garlic dill, super hot garlic/jalapeño/dill and bread and butter )

About 30 jars of hot peppers

23 jars of pasta sauce

4 jars of salsa ( mild, hot, and really hot )

4 pint jars of relish ( 1 sweet, one dill, one sweet garlic, and one hot )

1 quart of pickled polish sausage ( hot ).

This weekend will be camping no matter what the weather does, so we will be picking up the items to make corn relish ( sweet and hot ), black bean and corn salsa ( both sweet and hot ), and a head of cabbage to try some kraut. 

Edited by ....rob

I've done 20 pints of salsa, all with ingredients from the garden, and 16 pints of peaches bought at the local farm stand.  I want to do spaghetti sauce next year, but I love me some salsa when I get home from work!  Local Wegmans' has pickling cukes in stock, I may pick up some to try my hand at dills.