Bullet/Sabot Selection

DanD

I have a CVA Accura V2 that I bought new last year as a package from Cabela's. Love the gun, not the biggest fan of the Konus Pro scope it came with, but that's another discussion entirely. I digress...I have always shot Powerbelts for one reason or another over the years. For some reason, the CVA seems to not like them as I am getting 2"ish groups at 50 yards with 295gr. Aerotips. I have read a fair bit on some other choices in the industry, and Harvester crushed rib Sabots seem to be fairly popular and accurate according to other forums. I have been looking into Scorpion PT Gold 260gr. Anyone have any experience with them or can offer their take on other bullets/sabots? I shoot 100gr of 777 powder.

Try varying your powder charge, start at 60 grains and work you way up by 10 and 5s , what you want is a sharp Crack and accuracy ,you gun my shoot powerbelts great at 85 grains for example, when you group starts opening back up your using 2 much powder ,try stepping down by 5,. 70 grain of powDer and 400 grain bullet will kill a buffalo at 200 yards. ( 45/70 gov was created to go 200 yards and penatrate 3 inches of solid oak. ) 45 cal bullet and 70 grains of powder.. accuracy is much more important that max load on powder.

If I can get them I use a 250gr thor full .50cal they are awesome but not always available. The barnes bullets shot beautifully but there just to dam hard for deer. If I can't get the thors the 270gr platinum powerbelts are my 2nd choice. 110gr loose triple seven out of an original knight disc its heavy but I have yet to find another muzzleloader that will out shoot it accuracy wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the range this weekend. Changed my powder (as suggested) and accuracy improved, but I was still only getting 1-2" groups at 50 yards. I kept my new powder weight measure the same (110 grains), changed my sabot to a Powerblet Aerolite 250 grain from a Powerbelt 295 aerotip and it made all the difference. I was able to take three shots and have them all touching at 50 yards without cleaning in between shots. Stepped out to 100 yards and I was getting 1-1.5" groups which I am more than happy with. I am not the worlds best shot and rarely take a shot over 100 yards due to the thick brush I like to hunt.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Dan, glad you found a good combo for your rifle...

I shot PRBs for a lot of years out of my old TC Hawken and was pleased with  the performance on deer..A few years back I drew an elk tag in CO for the MZ season and wanted a heavier bullet..

After some amount of research, I tried the NoExcuses  .50 cal.460 grain conical... It loads easily, and shoots lights out, even in my hawken with the 1/48 twist...Also shoots surprisingly flat..Many western hunters use them in their inlines for 200 yard+ shooting... I push mine with with 80 grains of loose 777 in my hawken, and now use them instead of the PRB for deer..They are fairly cheap, too..Last box of 50 cost me about $35 including shipping from Utah...

Just another option, should you ever be looking for one.

I haven't shot a power belt in 10 years but do they still load as HARD as the used to?

Powerbelts load pretty easy in my CVA Accura V2 for the first two shots, the third shot takes some effort to load. After that I typically run a wet patch and a few dry patches to get the fouling out of the barrel.

Dan, glad you found a good combo for your rifle...

I shot PRBs for a lot of years out of my old TC Hawken and was pleased with  the performance on deer..A few years back I drew an elk tag in CO for the MZ season and wanted a heavier bullet..

After some amount of research, I tried the NoExcuses  .50 cal.460 grain conical... It loads easily, and shoots lights out, even in my hawken with the 1/48 twist...Also shoots surprisingly flat..Many western hunters use them in their inlines for 200 yard+ shooting... I push mine with with 80 grains of loose 777 in my hawken, and now use them instead of the PRB for deer..They are fairly cheap, too..Last box of 50 cost me about $35 including shipping from Utah...

Just another option, should you ever be looking for one.

I have never heard of the No Excuses sabots. For the price you mention, I feel obligated to try them after this year. I get 20 Powerbelts for the same price you are getting 50 No Excuses.

The no excuses is not a sabot, its a full bore lead conical. There is not much a 460gr chunk of lead wont stop. Its devastating on deerfrom both my whites.

I am not fond of power belts at all, its a bad story waiting to happen

When you shoot paper, do the Powerbelts actually stay together after paper contact? Never seen a projectile fall apart like Powerbelts do. It's amazing.

Now that you say this Phade, the one deer I did shoot with a muzzleloader, I never found the sabot and there was not exit wound. I wondered what ever happened to it, but based on what you saying, it might have fragmented into small pieces...deer still tasted good though. If I get the opportunity this year to take a deer with the muzzleloader, I'll have to check what the Powerbelt does after impact.

I always thought that Powerbelts were decent sabots, but all this talk on here has me second guessing myself quite a bit.