LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Man just had an awesome encounter !!! Was just gettin done lining up a doe that veered off and my boot squeeks on stand.... Look over my shoulder n there's a borderline shooter 8 50 yds out staring right at me .... He came down my drag line but veered off cause he caught movement .... Grunted him halfway back , no dice , snort wheezed n grunt , halfway back again , snort wheeze again he comes charging in to 30 yds but I can't draw cause this low make shift tree I'm in .... He stares rough me n snorts n bounds off ..... Been going by the I see a deer , half hour more , well that was 1 1/2 ago .... Can't wait for this dam front to get here , hopefully this weekend should be nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in the stand at 5:45 and used a drag rag for the first time.  As soon as I started climbing my sticks I looked back and saw 4 raccoons walking right over my path.  I flashed a light at them and they scurried off.   At about 6:30 had a doe walk by with spike on her ass.  They walked on by and I decided to test my grunting and was able to pull him off her.  He came by and was walking around my stand and followed my drag rag the opposite direction.  15 minutes goes by and I saw two deer fighting in the distance.  Seems that spike found a smaller spike and was muscling him around.  I took the rattlers out and gave a light set.   He chased off the smaller spike and came steaming in over to me again.  

Ended up having to leave the stand at 9:00 so that I could catch the train.  Checked my camera and got a pic of a gorgeous 8 that I've been following mid day.  Seems like I'm gonna hit the stand sun up to sun down sat and sunday and hope to catch this big boy

Seems like its starting up!

• Like 2

Was in the stand at 5:45 and used a drag rag for the first time. As soon as I started climbing my sticks I looked back and saw 4 raccoons walking right over my path. I flashed a light at them and they scurried off. At about 6:30 had a doe walk by with spike on her ass. They walked on by and I decided to test my grunting and was able to pull him off her. He came by and was walking around my stand and followed my drag rag the opposite direction. 15 minutes goes by and I saw two deer fighting in the distance. Seems that spike found a smaller spike and was muscling him around. I took the rattlers out and gave a light set. He chased off the smaller spike and came steaming in over to me again.

Ended up having to leave the stand at 9:00 so that I could catch the train. Checked my camera and got a pic of a gorgeous 8 that I've been following mid day. Seems like I'm gonna hit the stand sun up to sun down sat and sunday and hope to catch this big boy

Seems like its starting up!

What part of westchester? I'll be out in Putnam with xbow on 11/7 in carmel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father in law wanted to fix up that old white trailer, I accidentally put my hand through its window and ended up in ER a couple of thanksgivings ago. Would have been nice to get it done preseason but such is life. He loves it in there , can cover field and sit by the woodstove.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Buddy just stopped by he hunted tonight in 8j on his land. Bucks running like crazy, nose to,ground, grunting ,snort wheeze. This started at 3 when he got on stand, it was in the mid 70's.

How does one deal with this? Draw while it is in range and then make a sound so that it will stop? Or put something on the ground that it will stop and sniff for a bit?

I saw a buck do this a week ago right downwind of me at only 20 yards. It was walking quite quickly and sniffing the ground oblivious/uninterested in looking over to me.

How does one deal with this? Draw while it is in range and then make a sound so that it will stop? Or put something on the ground that it will stop and sniff for a bit?

I saw a buck do this a week ago right downwind of me at only 20 yards. It was walking quite quickly and sniffing the ground oblivious/uninterested in looking over to me.

I've whistled softly to stop them, but usually a quick "baa" sound works better.........sometimes the bucks won't pay any attention to any of it if preoccupied.

• Like 1

I've always had luck stopping bucks with a deep "Bahp". In fact, I use the deep "Bahp" after the shot too. Sometimes they stop after the shot to that sound and that's enough for them to then drop right down.

Of course, sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop a deer or any animal for that matter. I once tried to stop a beautiful red fox that went by me at 30 yards during gun season. I couldn't get him to stop for a shot, I made every sound in the book and even stood up and yelled to avail. (I hunt from the ground).