Need advice to keep a hunter hunting

Ihunt

Three or 4 years without pulling the trigger would discourage most newbies. I believe starting out on small game and getting one's feet wet and having some fun. Take her small game hunting where she can get some action on Rabbits and Squirrels and have some success. 

Sitting in a good oak stand quietly hunting Squirrels with a 22 will go a long way on learning patience and accurate shooting and getting used to those jitters. During those squirrel hunts she will most likely also see Deer and learn something. 

Al

Is she good looking ? I might consider sharing MY stand with her...

On second thought, she really doesn't have to be THAT good looking... Why raise my standards at my advanced age ?

Is she FEMALE..?.. Does she have a PULSE..??.. She'll probably do, as long as she doesn't TALK to much..

• Like 8

Thanks al never thought to stand hunt squirrels and Pygmy she's got some othe biggest nockers this side of the Mississippi but she's got the talking thing down pat if she could talk for a paycheck she would be rich lol however she's quite in a stand lol

• Like 1

On second thought, she really doesn't have to be THAT good looking... Why raise my standards at my advanced age ?

Is she FEMALE..?.. Does she have a PULSE..??.. She'll probably do, as long as she doesn't TALK to much..

There's always Growalot and Paula as a last resort for you, Pygmy!  LOL

Ha! I think you just described a woman in a coma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife hunts with me and I was quick to give her the best spot I could. I am also quick to get doe tags if possible. I got her a popup camo tent she can sit in and stay hidden and play on her phone. On drives, she is usually a shooter and seldom a driver. 

If she is not seeing much, maybe she is squirming around pretty good and getting spotted. Maybe you could ever so gently suggest to try and remain a bit more still.  Good luck..

Any one have a wife or gf that hunts and has some bad luck? Well I do we hunt my friends 86 acres and the owner usually take the hottest stand then for the past 3 year I have put my gf in the "next best" stand with the most amount of deer movement and for the past 3 years she eather hasn't seen anything or been to far away or are being chased by dogs or on the run and can't get them to stop or doesn't have a doe tag for that zone when I was sitting next to her ... So much bad luck that she has had enough and is threatening to quit hunting after this year if her luck don't change and I can feel her pain with people around her having success makes her more frustrated when she could have been sitting in that stand and all I can do is tell her that its called hunting not killing and her luck will change but after saying those frazes for 2 years now they don't carry much meaning to her anymore... So my question is does anyone have tips or advice on keeping a hunter hunting

Take her out early and do some small game hunting. Maybe even in the deer season if she gets in the dumps.

New hunter need many thing to be successful this is why taking someone hunting is much different than putting them in a tree and saying good luck, see you at dark. 

Take her out and track some deer, it is fun and teaches them much more than she will learn in a tent or up in a tree or waiting for a drive.  It is all about learning your prey and while together and you have 2 sets of eyes to look for game.  Tell her you are not hunting but tracking/learning, then if you see game you are just having that much more fun!  Bring the weapons and talk very softly until out of the hunting area.

I try to point out everything to new hunter that I pick up on when hunting.  What do these tracks tell you I ask?  Can you tell if this was a doe or a buck?  Was this a morning track or evening track.  Was the deer going to food or bed?  What does that rub mean?  How about that scrape!  The last question I usually ask is IF YOU WHERE A DEER WHAT WOULD YOU DO?  Not every question can be answered correctly but the more you do it the easer it gets.  Bare ground is very hard to do but is possible and if you get good at that well snow just feels like cheating! 

I think of it like detective work, the better you can pick up on clues the more you will find out about your prey and the better your chances of seeing and picking one you like.  Hopefully this will keep her interest and spark new love for the beautiful Whitetail deer and how adept they are at surviving.  We do this for recreation, food, enjoyment of the outdoors but deer are in this to survive that is why they are so hard to hunt.   Good luck, hope she keeps at it!

• Like 1

Well  men can not think like a woman...if she has been out 2yrs with you at her side...if her stand is the one everyone has to walk past to theirs...then get out there and hour before all the others...the deer tend to back track as hunters pass.... If not then let her make what ever mistake she may make  out of your line of sight she needs confidence and whether she says it or even knows it... you being there is squelching that.  Find other woman hunters to talk to we tend to look at things differently...wasn't until I hunted on my own did I start bringing deer out of the woods  took 7 yrs of being guided by every guy at camp.. before I said go away... I got this.....lol

PM me if she wants to talk... good Luck

• Like 2

I am NOT or will be a last resort!

I have to say she is not having bad luck, there is the right time right place. I have not gotten a deer in 5years and would never think of giving up. If she is only hunting for the kill then she is missing so much. If she is hunting for the whole experience then she needs not to depend on others and get out and do her own work. Find a new place to hunt and do scouting, there is so much to learn and experience.

Edited by Paula
  • Like 5