Buy Land - Then what?

So my Dad reached an agreement on price to buy land. Hopefully everything goes smooth with attorneys and a closing hopefully in the next few weeks.

Then what?

Would you post the land and setup tree stands (for xbows)? Or given that it is so close to deer seasons not bother yet at the risk of disturbing things right before the season?

We've never used treestands for the xbow so we may buy 2 ladder stands. But again, maybe we should wait a season or two until we know exactly where best to put ladder stands? The current owner said the land has not been hunted in 5-6 years by his father who passed away last year. The property (20acres) is filled acorns everywhere. The owner said his dad used to hunt on top of a slope where deer would come up from swamps on neighboring property (115 acres - no hunting), so that's probably where we will try first. The owner also showed us which trees the turkeys roost on, etc.

Thanks to the guys who helped me in the other thread regarding ATVs.

As of now, we still have access to private 8 acres we have hunted since 1993 about 5-10 miles away from this new piece. So we will still hunt there a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

Well I would have no problem putting up a couple treestands and posting the property. Try to do most of that with in a day or two and then don't go back in the property till you hunt. I think don't think deer really start feeling pressure until they start seeing you consecutively.    

• Like 3

Yea your getting real tight to be wandering all over it but how else are you going to learn about it unless you wait till after the season!! I couldn't. I might pick this weekend one day mid day during the rain to just poke around maybe make a couple brush blinds if you find a likely spot. The rain should help cover up your intrusion. Preferably I would slip in with a climber but I don't think you two use those. I would get up in a likely looking spot or two and observe and readjust as needed. As you said if you put in a ladder you will most likely end up moving it a few times, better to wait and learn.

• Like 1

Post it right away!

Then it has to be christened ( peeing on trees ).

As for stands, it's SZ right? So you have some time to get stands/blinds in.

Just don't stress it Biz. Relax a bit, and get the things done you can. If at worst, get a few of those seats that are light and strap to a tree and a few umbrellas meant for treestands. The hard part is over ( sort of LOL ), buying the place, now just enjoy it.

• Like 1

Post with your phone number, hopefully the locals who have been "huntin here my whole life!" Will respect them

That's where we are torn. I thought my Dad should post his number. He thinks he shouldn't post a phone number.

That's where we are torn. I thought my Dad should post his number. He thinks he shouldn't post a phone number.

Yeah, just me, but in this day and age I am not sure I would post a phone number either. Especially a cell phone number.

Post it immediately after closing, and get a couple of light weight single man ladder stands. They wont be exceptionally comfortable, but they are very easy to move by yourself. Do some scouting, and set the stands, then watch what unfolds, and move your stands accordingly. This year will be more like scouting with your crossbow in hand, and this winter should be heavy scouting, while the sign from the fall is still visible. By the time season starts next year, you should be pretty well prepared. Save buying bigger, more permanent stands for down the road. JMO.

I would also start wind mapping it right off the bat. Bring some bubble stuff out with you, and blow bubbles in different areas under different wind conditions, and watch where the bubbles go. Take lots of notes. The better you know how the wind will act on the place, the smarter you can hunt it in the future.

Congrats to your dad and you on the land!

• Like 2

I would wait to put in permanent stands. We kept moving out stands the first few years we hunted the property were at. Now we have a pretty go set up, but with the crop rotation things are never the same year after year. Plus some guy put up this huge fence around a couple of hunted acres so I'm curious how this year is going to play out now. Might be moving a few more stands soon.

• Like 1

I would ask the owner of you can post the land now. As long as a purchase contract is signed neither party has anything to lose. I posted my property a month and a half before closing with the OK of the owner.

Contract isn't signed yet. But good point, thanks. Similar to allowing visits to a house before closing, I agree about working the posting rights into the contract.

Though with no banks involved, the contract to closing timeframe may be very short anyway.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

To be 100% compliant with the rule, the posted sign should contain a name and address. Phone number is an option. Not sure what the advantage is of putting it. Having only an address forces communication in writing, which is always the preferred method.

Edited by jrm

Each new property, whether given access rights or purchased comes with a steep learning curve. Each subsequent year you'll learn more about the seasonal deer movements and fine tune your stand placements. The first year you're at the mercy of the old owners advice, limited scouting and a lot of luck. It'll get better each year!

When I purchased my property ~10yrs ago, it also was in the late October time frame. Immediately cleared & mowed a lane so I could get off the main road and park. Hauled a ladder stand ~300yrds into property & hoped for the best my 1st year. Opening day of regular season I got to new property ~6AM, there already were 3 trucks in my new driveway. After explaining my new ownership, they understood & left. Encountered 2 other hunters that day and explained situation to them also. They got somewhat testy about not being able to hunt there since they had for years. Stood my ground & they left, grumbling. Also got caught up in the middle of a deer drive since my other neighbors were not aware of me being the new owner. Needless to say the following spring I put up lots of posted signs and have not seen any trespasser since, that I'm aware of. So...other than the fact that your timing of the purchase sucks, you may or may not have to deal with legacy hunters &/or trespassers the 1st deer season, regardless of any new posted signs put out.

Lot of theories and opinions about how to best post a new property and with what signs. I treated this as a necessity and an investment in the property by buying rigid, HD vinyl, orange, pre-printed signs. Lot of sources, I used http:/www.minutemansignsinc.com/. Somewhat expensive, but they are super visible and haven't shown any signs of wear or fading in 10+ years. Just a project I only wanted to do once and not have to re-do every few years with paper signs.

NY DEC's outline on the legalities of posting: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8371.html

On that web page, it states the required contact info need on a posted sign: "Signs must bear the name and address of the owner, lawful occupant or other person or organization authorized to post the area."  A phone # is not required! Only loophole in adhering to the contact info requirement, is that it lets any potential trespassers know you're an out of area landowner! So..your surveillance may get tested..!??! Also not a bad idea to met any neighbors that border your new property and let them know you have or will be posting it. Have to go about this very diplomatically & in a goodwill manner or you'll make enemies right away. Pretty sure all counties have online web sites that list property tax maps info and you can look-up adjacent property owner's contact info. You'll need specific addresses or tax #s to get started.

Formulate a plan for your property over the upcoming winter months. If it is strictly for hunting, do NOT try to overly landscape or improve it! Numerous 5-6' wide ATV paths will not hurt anything! Putting in a driveway for a vehicle far into the property probably will disrupt the deer's security and affect their movements. As proud as you'll be as a new landowner, choose your improvements wisely and stick to your plan. As tempting as it'll be to turn your property into a well landscaped, park-like setting, it has it's drawbacks for hunting. Small clearings for food plots or fruit trees are the exception to the landscaping pitfall. Plan well and stick to the plan!!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

Years ago when we got our land in southern tier we immediately  posted it.  After the nightmares of trespassers who "been hunting it for 40 years"  got over themselves and there lies I can say I would never ever put my phone number on a posted sign.  Unbelievable the walks of life out there and the things they do when they lose a hunting spot.  I hope you and your dad never have to deal with any of these types but be prepared for some nasty phone calls if you post a number.

Good tips. Not many neighbors. 1 is the NYS Dec and the other is a development corporation that has been trying since the mid 1980s to build a condo complex but it hasn't happened. The one house on the road is across the street and my Dad talked to the guy already who said he hates deer because they eat his plants etc. while he's not really a hunter he wasn't against it so that's good.

I saw a few website to buy posted signs. Some have the name/address some don't. Address wise my dad lives under 10 miles away so it wouldn't look bad but I'm not sure he would want random people knowing his address etc that's why I think he was going to use the signs with no personal information on them.

At camp we did not want people to know we lived over an hour away, so we posted with the address of the property.  Make nice with the closest neighbor, take care of him/her if they would keep you informed of any mishaps there.  Give them your phone number.  Here at home I have 3 neighbors that live out of state, they all have fish camps and I keep an eye on them.  The properties all join and they gave me sole access to hunt the land that totals over 60 acres.  They take good care of me, I offered to have hunting rights if I kept an eye out and plowed there driveway in the winter if they come out.  Works perfect for me and means the world to them.

• Like 1