Variable Winds

genesee_mohican

Don't you just love it when the wind is finally just right for that afternoon stand for almost all of the day and then right at the end of the day when the deer really get moving, the afternoon thermals kick in and start blowing your scent right to the trail you're watching.

That's where it is nice to have a lot of experience with some of these stands so that you don't get blind-sided by the thermals.

Another thing is that I have certain stands around a huge ravine on the hill where the wind always channels up and out of the ravine, and while it may be a steady predicted westerly wind everywhere else in the world, along that ravine there will be a consistent easterly wind right out to the trail. Eventually I learned about that and rebuilt my stands to compensate. There sure was a lot of frustration before I figured that little peculiarity out. Sometimes forecasted wind direction at certain spots will never agree with wind directions at your stand.

And yes there are some spots where the terrain shunts the wind all over the place in ever-changing directions. Again, a bit of experience on the same parcel of hunting land tips you off to these areas and you finally figure it out that there is no way of hunting those areas. It's all the beauty of hunting hill country ..... lol.

• Like 1

Had this all morning yesterday thankfully i planned for it. In light and variable winds i hunt stand on steep terrain above where the deer come through in the am, and below in the pm, allowing my thermals to push my scent up the hill in calm conditions, and if that wind does push my scent below me towards deer trails, its pushed out above their heads.  Had about a dozen below me yesterday.