Scent Killer Sprays...

BellR

None. But the investment is maybe $20 a year in soap, spray and detergent.

I think a lot of people don't buy into Ozonics because of the much larger investment.

Ha-ha-ha .... When it comes to these sorts of things that people sell without any burden to prove that they actually work, I always get a rather comical vision. I see Tink Nathan who may have started his successful business in a small shed with a beer in one hand and a little brown bottle in the other, answering the call of nature just before he screws the cap on and slaps on the sticker declaring it to be a "can't-fail" deer lure. With enough marketing and good packaging, I believe anyone can sell anything.

I guess hunting, right along with fishing, has it's successful entrepreneurs that probably could sell ice to Eskimos..... lol. So why not scent elimination soaps, sprays, and detergents? It's all free enterprise at its finest.....lol.

• Like 2

This is why the #1 rule of deer hunting is, has always been and always will be. Keep the wind in your face as much as possible! Quite simple really, they can't smell you, even with those "super noses" if you keep yourself up wind of them!

But they can smell where you walk. Wind swirls and you have thermals to contend with. And they don't always follow the plan and come from where you think they will.

So that's why we call it hunting. Their noses against our brains.

I agree.

A $10 bottle of powdered wind indicator is more valuable than all the scent elimination/cover scents combined.

• Like 1

I wash my hunting clothes twice ( once no detergent ) hang outside and bag it for the ride. Use a cover cent that smells like leaves. I spray that stuff all over exspecialy inside outside of boots. I hunt some stands that don't have a way to sneak in. Many times watched a deer pick up the scent and follow my path. Don't think they would do that without it.I would absolutely say it's beneficial

• Like 1

A $10 bottle of powdered wind indicator is more valuable than all the scent elimination/cover scents combined.

Here is a trick that I use. Keep your eyes open for milkweed pods, and when you find one put it in a sandwich baggie and put that in your pack. While you are on stand, periodically turn one of those little seeds loose and get set to see exactly where your scent is going (not only where you are sitting, but yards and yards away from your stand). Kind of fun to watch those things start off where you think the wind is blowing and then watch them hook a hard left and spiral off into a direction that you never imagined the wind was heading. It is amazing where the wind goes beyond where the normal wind indicator powders show. One free milkweed pod will supply you for the entire year's hunting seasons. This is how you learn to beat a deer's nose by knowing where the scent is going after it leaves your immediate area.

• Like 2

Ha-ha-ha .... When it comes to these sorts of things that people sell without any burden to prove that they actually work, I always get a rather comical vision. I see Tink Nathan who may have started his successful business in a small shed with a beer in one hand and a little brown bottle in the other, answering the call of nature just before he screws the cap on and slaps on the sticker declaring it to be a "can't-fail" deer lure. With enough marketing and good packaging, I believe anyone can sell anything.

I guess hunting, right along with fishing, has it's successful entrepreneurs that probably could sell ice to Eskimos..... lol. So why not scent elimination soaps, sprays, and detergents? It's all free enterprise at its finest.....lol.

If you feel dooped by $20 on scent killers as if they're some sort of snake oil then they aren't for you. I don't need 100% proof to spend $20 on something that most everyone else I know uses. Like I've said a few times now, I have no proof they work, but I sure as heck know that my usual irish spring and head and shoulders don't smell natural and at 10 seconds of extra time, the confidence (real or placebo) of spraying down my boots doesn't bother me one bit.

• Like 1

The only way to hunt is into the wind, or get up in a stand. There is no other way to hide your scent from an animals nose. If you're up high, maybe your scent will blow over the top of a deer.

That's not right. I have read many hunters on here hunting from a tree stand and deer have caught the scent.

I guess try putting apple juice in a spray bottle. I don't think that would technically be 'baiting'. 

That's not right. I have read many hunters on here hunting from a tree stand and deer have caught the scent.

I guess try putting apple juice in a spray bottle. I don't think that would technically be 'baiting'. 

"Maybe" was key word I do believe. I agree on less likely of getting winded from a stand as on the ground but thermals and swirling winds can do weird things in either case

Edited by turkeyfeathers

I agree.

I wonder what a pod of milkweed seeds are worth.

Powder wind is the equivalent of p!ss!ng in the wind.

When was the last time you saw powder hit a thermal incline or wave around a woodlot?

We hunt stands quite a bit where the wind is the wrong direction but thermals or the wind following and hitting other terrain features prevents scent from hitting a deer's detector.

Perhaps the worst is knowing a deer is going to bust you as soon as it hits your scent stream based on the path it is taking. Sucks. Happened last year when I watched a buck head to Moog and knew it was going to get my scent before it got to him and within shooting distance. Three year olds have played that game before, and all Moog could do was watch the buck move on by him as wise bucks do.

Edited by phade

If you feel dooped by $20 on scent killers as if they're some sort of snake oil then they aren't for you. I don't need 100% proof to spend $20 on something that most everyone else I know uses. Like I've said a few times now, I have no proof they work, but I sure as heck know that my usual irish spring and head and shoulders don't smell natural and at 10 seconds of extra time, the confidence (real or placebo) of spraying down my boots doesn't bother me one bit.

Yes, that is what keeps marketing people in a job and what made the sellers of pet rocks rich.

If you're up high, maybe your scent will blow over the top of a deer.

Back in the olden days before I came down out of the trees, I remember using one of my milkweed seeds to check wind direction out of my treestand, and watched it go out a few feet and then drop straight down to a few feet off the ground and then circle its way down wind. That phenomenon was helped out by a damp cold drizzle, but it did point up the fact that treestands are no guarantee against getting nailed by wind direction. It doesn't happen all the time, but it sure makes it worthwhile to check the wind no matter what your set-up is.

baking soda mixed in water put in a spray bottle done but with all the good scent lock suites why do people spray them with scent killer all those sprays clog the carbon in the suites

the scentlok suits use a carbon liner. the outer is usually some sore of weather protective shell. What you don't want to do with carbon is over wash.

So, you think all the scent "killers" work? But not the "cover" scents? Just a curious question.

No, I was simply differentiating between scent killer and cover scent.  Some people lump those 2 things into one category as if using a cover scent, eliminates their scent.

Scent killer I belive was the original conversation thread that was started.  People have varying opinions on that subject matter.  I use it.  I figure even if it helps 10%, I'm better off than not using it.  Ever watch the Mythbusters episode where they tested all the scent killer products?  And it made zero difference?  Rather funny, ironically.

Cover scent is 10000% useless for hunting if you are trying to mask your human odor.  A deer breaks down that scent and smells it seperately from your other scents.  They are not fooled at all.  Using it as "bait" as some people have posted....well....that is a conversation that I am not starting!

• Like 2

The real dilemma here is not whether it works or not, it is whether or not you use it properly to work.  I know some people argue it is a scam and then wonder how it could be sold as a "scent killer." 

Some background (not be be a bore).  A colleague of mine in my industry is a wicked smart chemist.  I don't understand most of what comes out of his mouth.  He invented both the original "armor all" cleaner that was then sold to Armor All and also a scent eliminator product that was eventually bought and used as Febreeze (in a more commerical form).  I have some of his original "scent killer" in a generic bottle he gave me for use in my house.  Having 2 young kids at the time, as some of you will relate, vomit is a smell that does NOT come out of carpet easily.  His product magically removed it.....and quite easily.  The key was an utter dousing and then repeat.  Lastly, not to come in contact with that particular "odor" again.

Flash forward to scent killer deer spray.  The companies who make it probably test it in a lab by dousing an article in the liquid until completely saturated.  They then repeat that multiple times.  I am sure it removes odors.....temprorarily until it comes in contact with scent again. 

A hunter on the other hand, whips out that bottle, does a half ass surface spray once they are already in their hunting clothes (touching everythign they own) barely getting the outer layer.  First mistake.  Then, gauranteed the average hunter then touches his clothes, back pack, bow, etc with bare skin at some point, reapplying scent.  Second mistake.  Neither of these things would be done in a lab setting.

So, not to be technical, but basically it would be impossible in a hunting scenario to apply enough product to eliminate the scent and THEN be sure not to have new odor reattach. 

As noted though, I use the product anyway.  I figure if it helps a little....great.

So of course the question that needs to be asked is: "How do you prove to yourself that the scent removal sprays work"? You buy this stuff and spray it all over yourself, but what evidence is there that you really are doing anything at all other than wasting money and time. I mean, I could put plain old water in a spray bottle and sell it to you at some inflated price with a claim that it is a scent removal spray, and you would never know it. So like so many of the products sold to hunters, there is no way of verifying that it is what they say it is, or that it works, or any way of judging how well it is working or which one is better. I really hate those kinds of products, and for the most part do not buy them.

they don't work as advertised but they do in a sense work.  I had a a hunting partner that only uses cover scent and half ass scent control with me on a permanent built set.  mature doe in a family group worked down wind by chance.  crossed our wind and blew out past our range.  couldn't find us but kept checking wind well out of range to know we were there somewhere.  freaked every time her nose went up.  next day, wind doing same thing, same stand, but just me.  same scent control routine and same doe on same trail.  same deer due to physical characteristics and what maybe was a healed injury.  she had the stand pegged this time, staring the whole way in.  nose kept going in the air but she kept getting closer for more verification and seemed on edge but unsure.  got well within range, looked away for a second, and she was heading to my freezer.

extremely similar situations have happened on a handful of occasions while out with other less scent conscious hunters. more due to me getting lax with my routine.  therefore that's proof enough for me that it or similar efforts to reduce scent works well enough to yield good results.  I don't think for a sec that the deer doesn't smell me like the big company's would elude to but it's still good enough.

The real dilemma here is not whether it works or not, it is whether or not you use it properly to work.  I know some people argue it is a scam and then wonder how it could be sold as a "scent killer." 

Some background (not be be a bore).  A colleague of mine in my industry is a wicked smart chemist.  I don't understand most of what comes out of his mouth.  He invented both the original "armor all" cleaner that was then sold to Armor All and also a scent eliminator product that was eventually bought and used as Febreeze (in a more commerical form).  I have some of his original "scent killer" in a generic bottle he gave me for use in my house.  Having 2 young kids at the time, as some of you will relate, vomit is a smell that does NOT come out of carpet easily.  His product magically removed it.....and quite easily.  The key was an utter dousing and then repeat.  Lastly, not to come in contact with that particular "odor" again.

Flash forward to scent killer deer spray.  The companies who make it probably test it in a lab by dousing an article in the liquid until completely saturated.  They then repeat that multiple times.  I am sure it removes odors.....temprorarily until it comes in contact with scent again. 

A hunter on the other hand, whips out that bottle, does a half ass surface spray once they are already in their hunting clothes (touching everythign they own) barely getting the outer layer.  First mistake.  Then, gauranteed the average hunter then touches his clothes, back pack, bow, etc with bare skin at some point, reapplying scent.  Second mistake.  Neither of these things would be done in a lab setting.

So, not to be technical, but basically it would be impossible in a hunting scenario to apply enough product to eliminate the scent and THEN be sure not to have new odor reattach. 

As noted though, I use the product anyway.  I figure if it helps a little....great.

there's a reason I have gear in a scent free sealed bag in the order I pull them out and put them on.  gloves are on top.  also I due loads of wash with scent elimination detergent to rid the washer of previous detergent smells.  same goes for in the shower and my towel.  by Thursday I'm showering with scent elimination stuff until Monday.  outer layers only see outside air after washing and drying.