Scent Killer Sprays...

BellR

Keep your body, clothes and boots as clean as possible. Thats #1 IMHO. Scent killer sprays help a little but they're not the silver bullet. I spray down before I head out and I spay my stand and base of my tree, after each hunt.  seems to work OK.

Wash your hands , in scent free soap, right before you head out and keep your gloves clean…Hands STINK!!!  Take a whiff right now...

So of course the question that needs to be asked is: "How do you prove to yourself that the scent removal sprays work"? You buy this stuff and spray it all over yourself, but what evidence is there that you really are doing anything at all other than wasting money and time. I mean, I could put plain old water in a spray bottle and sell it to you at some inflated price with a claim that it is a scent removal spray, and you would never know it. So like so many of the products sold to hunters, there is no way of verifying that it is what they say it is, or that it works, or any way of judging how well it is working or which one is better. I really hate those kinds of products, and for the most part do not buy them.

Finally.

This is why I won't buy these. It's absolutely true that a dog is not a deer, but since nobody can actually prove these things do a darn thing for deer, a dog is better than nothing, and they don't seem to do a thing for dogs. Buying them absent data just because they "might" help is simply falling for the marketing. Similar to if I market a whistle that I promise if blown before hunting will increase your odds.

I am pretty sure that if you go for a run and you stink and spray yourself down you're not going to do anything but stink exactly how you did before. If somebody can work up a nasty sweat on old clothes and use this stuff to trick their wife, then I'll buy a bottle.

Edited by Core

Finally.

This is why I won't buy these. It's absolutely true that a dog is not a deer, but since nobody can actually prove these things do a darn thing for deer, a dog is better than nothing, and they don't seem to do a thing for dogs. Buying them absent data just because they "might" help is simply falling for the marketing. Similar to if I market a whistle that I promise if blown before hunting will increase your odds.

I am pretty sure that if you go for a run and you stink and spray yourself down you're not going to do anything but stink exactly how you did before. If somebody can work up a nasty sweat on old clothes and use this stuff to trick their wife, then I'll buy a bottle.

I'm going to be that guy, because I've followed your post. Until you have a few deer under your belt I believe it's best to refrain from making any definitive decisions on what works and what doesn't.

there are far too many variables that attribute to hunting success.

guys kill deer in red flannels stinking like cigs and beer

guys kill deer on the ground and in the tree

guys kill deer after getting winded even or busted for movement

guys kill deer downwind

just because you can screw up everything and still get lucky doesn't mean you throw out your camo and disregard all the tactics that may improve your success. If you don't believe in scent killers, you can still use plain old baking soda and water and not  feel like you were "dooped". I have no problem with the guy using tide and irish spring. But I also just don't understand why you would just totally dismiss the scent free and scent killer products.

Edited by Belo

I'm going to be that guy, because I've followed your post. Until you have a few deer under your belt I believe it's best to refrain from making any definitive decisions on what works and what doesn't.

there are far too many variables that attribute to hunting success.

guys kill deer in red flannels stinking like cigs and beer

guys kill deer on the ground and in the tree

guys kill deer after getting winded even or busted for movement

guys kill deer downwind

just because you can screw up everything and still get lucky doesn't mean you throw out your camo and disregard all the tactics that may improve your success. If you don't believe in scent killers, you can still use plain old baking soda and water and not  feel like you were "dooped". I have no problem with the guy using tide and irish spring. But I also just don't understand why you would just totally dismiss the scent free and scent killer products.

In my case, I am not dismissing anything, but simply questioning those that swear by the stuff without a single shred of evidence other than the word of the manufacturers or those that count on sponsors for their existence. Generally speaking, if I cannot find independent evidence that a product works, I will not recommend it to others, and often will not use it myself. And yet I hear people raving about the effectiveness of these sprays but when someone asks them how they know it works, or how they know they are using the best maker of these products, and all you get is blank stares and a shrug of the shoulders, which is pretty much what I got here when I asked the question.

As long as you're breathing in the woods you will be putting out human scent... now i suppose that you could try spraying some scent killer in your mouth.. and I'm sure there is a nucklehead out there that has already given that a try. I would be okay with them saying that the spray can "reduce" human scent... but unless you're holding your breath, you stink like a human. I don't use anything for scent control. But then I don't sit in a tree waiting for a deer to show up so I'm able to play the wind.

As long as you're breathing in the woods you will be putting out human scent... now i suppose that you could try spraying some scent killer in your mouth.. and I'm sure there is a nucklehead out there that has already given that a try. I would be okay with them saying that the spray can "reduce" human scent... but unless you're holding your breath, you stink like a human. I don't use anything for scent control. But then I don't sit in a tree waiting for a deer to show up so I'm able to play the wind.

I chew Clorets on stand, one of the active ingredients in that gum is Chlorophyll, which if I'm not mistaken kills odors.......not sure if it's one of those guaranteed to work things, but I definitely put it into the "it can't hurt" category...much like some scent killer sprays.....That reminds me it's time to find and order some more of that gum.

I have been scratching my head at an article I saw about making your own scent blocker/ cover scent with branches and fallen acorns etc from your hunting area. Basically boil the stuff in a pot, let it cool and put it in a spray bottle. Natural smell of the area and it's not going to be anything the deer don't smell on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I'm not sure science will ever figure out how a deer nose really works ,in order to test anything ,you need the deer to be present in a lab like environment ,well right then and there you change the way a deer in the wild will act to said odor . I'll continue to use cover sprays with the hope that they are actually doing something. If it helps you mentally to hunt harder and pay more attention to your hunt then I say it works ,just not the way it's advertised.

they actually make scent free toothpaste and mouthwash. natural mint smell haha :heat:

I chew Clorets on stand, one of the active ingredients in that gum is Chlorophyll, which if I'm not mistaken kills odors.......not sure if it's one of those guaranteed to work things, but I definitely put it into the "it can't hurt" category...much like some scent killer sprays.....That reminds me it's time to find and order some more of that gum.

I have heard of the Clorets thing... not sure I buy it, but like you say "It can't hurt"...

I have heard of the Clorets thing... not sure I buy it, but like you say "It can't hurt"...

I'll tell you this, after many early morning conversations with some hunter's, this has got to be better then what I've smelled coming from inside them...........and I think deer would agree.

• Like 2

I use sent killer, soap and hair wash and I can tell you that I've had deer walk right by me sitting on the ground for gun and during bow I use a decoy that stays in my truck during the season and when I use it I set it up and also spray it down with sent killer and have had deer walk up to it and not be spooked so I'm a believer in it to a point.I also soak my clothes down in the spray every other day even if I'm not hunting.

I use sent killer, soap and hair wash and I can tell you that I've had deer walk right by me sitting on the ground for gun and during bow I use a decoy that stays in my truck during the season and when I use it I set it up and also spray it down with sent killer and have had deer walk up to it and not be spooked so I'm a believer in it to a point.I also soak my clothes down in the spray every other day even if I'm not hunting.

Downwind of you or upwind ? If they were upwind who's to say they wouldn't have walked by anyhow. IMO spraying your clothes down on days not hunting may be a bit extreme   

After a double check, I am out of cover scent. Not worried. Went outside, clipped a few pine snips and put them in the plastic box with my hunting clothes. Just went in that room ( kept closed ) to get a jar of home made pickles and that room smells like pine. Real pine. I think I will be OK in the morning.

After a double check, I am out of cover scent. Not worried. Went outside, clipped a few pine snips and put them in the plastic box with my hunting clothes. Just went in that room ( kept closed ) to get a jar of home made pickles and that room smells like pine. Real pine. I think I will be OK in the morning.

clothes should be good....but, unfortunately you'll smell like pickles.

• Like 2

clothes should be good....but, unfortunately you'll smell like pickles.

Garlic and halepeno pickles to be exact. LOL

I will shower tonight and in the AM. I won't smell like pickles. I am worried I might smell like the beef stew and grilled cheese sandwiches we had for dinner. That stuff stays with you and comes out when you can't help it. Gonna be a long cold ride in the AM with the windows open for an hour. LOL

A few years ago, my son's football cleats stunk terribly from practicing in the rain and they never had time to dry, as he had practice or games every day. They smelled musty and rank! You couldn't be in the same room with the things and he had to keep them in the garage. I was ready to burn them! One day I thought about spraying scent killer in them, just to see if it would help.... Had nothing to lose. I was amazed at the improvement! I would guess they were 95%+ better!

• Like 2

A few years ago, my son's football cleats stunk terribly from practicing in the rain and they never had time to dry, as he had practice or games every day. They smelled musty and rank! You couldn't be in the same room with the things and he had to keep them in the garage. I was ready to burn them! One day I thought about spraying scent killer in them, just to see if it would help.... Had nothing to lose. I was amazed at the improvement! I would guess they were 95%+ better!

OK, now there is one kind of tangible evidence that I was talking about in terms of finding out something about the effectiveness of a product. There is a demonstration that doesn't rely on some marketing scam or on the word of some hunter-hero on TV. Whether that is still enough evidence that it works in a deer hunting situation in terms of fooling his nose, remains to be seen. But at least it is evidence that the product does eliminate some odors and likely will help to some extent.

Now let's spray up a skunk-sprayed dog with the stuff, and I will be a believer if that works too .... lol.

Garlic and halepeno pickles to be exact. LOL

I will shower tonight and in the AM. I won't smell like pickles. I am worried I might smell like the beef stew and grilled cheese sandwiches we had for dinner. That stuff stays with you and comes out when you can't help it. Gonna be a long cold ride in the AM with the windows open for an hour. LOL

I've heard of guys that give up meat another foods that make their sweat smell during deer season. Now that's dedication.

I lost a duck a couple weeks ago, it was in my truck bed and when I went to check in it was gone. I looked everywhere with no luck, finally decided that maybe a hawk or a cat or something swiped it. Low and behold it was way down in the inside of my kayak and I didn't find it for a week! Well my kayak smells like John Wayne Gaceys crawlspace right now. Ive rinsed it with soap, no luck. I have a bottle of Primos Silver scent spray and am going to spray the heck out of it and let it sit, repeating often. We will see if it does anything