Can I switch my tag or am I out of luck?

regulat0r

i had intended to. I planned on hunting my property upstate for the remainder of bow season but now realize I cannot bc I only have the DMP for 3M.

simple solution. Go buy you Muzzleloader tag. It can be filled with you bow and will give you an antlerless tag to us that isn't tied to a WMU

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Problem is he has the ML tag I believe...he used his either or on the doe then shot a buck...which he now has no tag for...calling the DEC will get him a fine at the least ...depending on what ECO he reaches...he could get lucky...I'm thinking not...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

PS...conservationist had a piece in it ...guy shot several buck and posted them on line...Well the DEC came knocking...Go FIGURE!...lol he said they all have tags I would have shot a doe but no doe came around...They explained doe tags= transferable...Buck tags = 7 different fines...they are not transferable and all were tagged...but one tag wasn't filled out yet.

So keep posting those wives ...daughters  ect ect bucks no one will be the wiser ;):rolleyes:

Honest mistake...good lord keep it to your self...

He used the muzzleloader die only tag on doe instead of 3m doe tag, the he put buck on either sex tag,leaving him with only 3m doe tag if I follow what he is saying correctly, he's shit out of luck till nov 1 then he can buy any leftover doe tags for different area.... the message here is use the proper tags you want to the 1st time... now he's stuck hunting 3m till gun season for doe with bow unless he gets a tag signed over to him or can buy one that is unissued after nov 1

• Like 4

Problem is he has the ML tag I believe...he used his either or on the doe then shot a buck...which he now has no tag for...calling the DEC will get him a fine at the least ...depending on what ECO he reaches...he could get lucky...I'm thinking not...

if im not mistaken he used his bow tag on a buck and a muzz/bow on the doe. Which still leaves a reg season for a buck during rifle and a bow tag for a doe in his unit. I'm in 3s and as its only bow I can use my reg tag for deer. So I have reg tag, bow, muzz, and dmps gives me technically 5 does assuming I didn't get bonus dmps. But he should be fine. It's called next time be more careful. And now you have to wait or shoot only a doe. Your fault for using a buck tag when you didn't need to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He used the muzzleloader die only tag on doe instead of 3m doe tag, the he put buck on either sex tag,leaving him with only 3m doe tag if I follow what he is saying correctly, he's shit out of luck till nov 1 then he can buy any leftover doe tags for different area.... the message here is use the proper tags you want to the 1st time... now he's stuck hunting 3m till gun season for doe with bow unless he gets a tag signed over to him or can buy one that is unissued after nov 1

My bad I did read that wrong...when he said regular tag I read it as the either or...because that is what I have...I do not get ML until I see what pans out in early bow season...re -read I see now...Though it did make me think of the conservation article... ;)

I usually just get all of them so I can up my odds on the land I hunt. Oddly enough I usually get too cold to continue to try and fill all my tags, go figure I usually wind up with at least one tag left over considering I'd rather not shoot 2 bucks (one regular, one bow) on the same land. That would be a bit counter intuitive to my management goals of an over population of monster bucks on my land

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I drew a DMP for the area I live, 3M. I took a doe on opening day and mistakenly used my regular tag on her. I also shot a buck this morning so my only bow tag left is the 3M DMP tag I drew. I mistakenly used my regular tag on my doe instead on the DMP i had intended to. I planned on hunting my property upstate for the remainder of bow season but now realize I cannot bc I only have the DMP for 3M. If I call the DMP hotline on the DEC site and explain the situation, AND show them my already filled out tag, do you think they will give me another tag or am I out of luck?

This one is confusing. I see no mention of using ML tags here. Looks like bow and regular to me.

What EXACTLY is the regular season tag? The basic "Buck Only" tag you get when you buy your base small/big game license? Or your base bow tag?

This is how I read it:

I took a doe on opening day and mistakenly used my regular tag on her.

I also shot a buck this morning so my only bow tag left is the 3M DMP tag I drew. I mistakenly used my regular tag on my doe instead on the DMP

This how I read it:

I used my regular season tag on a doe ( huge NO NO NO NO NO !), then used the bow tag for the buck, and now left with just a DMP. Still seems like a wrong tag was used.

Mistakes happen.

My suggestion is to politely ask the staff to remove this thread, never mention it again, and hunt bushy tails.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 2

Wow!!! This really is not that confusing. He bought a bow tag, and a ml tag. He used these, one on a doe and one a buck. He now wants to hunt in another area(not wmu 3m) but he only has a tag that he can use in 3m. He wants to take his bow antler less tag off of his doe and replace it with his 3m dmp so that he can continue hunting on his bow antler less tag.

• Like 2

Wow!!! This really is not that confusing. He bought a bow tag, and a ml tag. He used these, one on a doe and one a buck. He now wants to hunt in another area(not wmu 3m) but he only has a tag that he can use in 3m. He wants to take his bow antler less tag off of his doe and replace it with his 3m dmp so that he can continue hunting on his bow antler less tag.

Actually is it is very unorthodox. No where does it say he had a ML tag.

I drew a DMP for the area I live, 3M. I took a doe on opening day and mistakenly used my regular tag on her. I also shot a buck this morning so my only bow tag left is the 3M DMP tag I drew. I mistakenly used my regular tag on my doe instead on the DMP i had intended to. I planned on hunting my property upstate for the remainder of bow season but now realize I cannot bc I only have the DMP for 3M. If I call the DMP hotline on the DEC site and explain the situation, AND show them my already filled out tag, do you think they will give me another tag or am I out of luck?

ML tag is where? 

• Like 1

Regular season tag is where? He says he planned to continue bow hunting upstate, but he cannot now b/c he didn't put his dmp on the doe. So if we follow that logic, he used a bow tag on the doe that he now wants back so he can continue bow hunting.

Regular tag in this case just means not his dmp doe tag, not his regular firearms season buck only tag.

Edited by JGS
  • Like 1

If they do re- issue you a tag it is going to take 3 weeks to get it.  Have a buddy that when he applied for his dmp's the guy put in both his areas wrong.  Store could not correct the issue and DEC re-issued his first correct choice dmp and said he had to return to the store where he made the purchase to get his choice 2 fixed.  Yeah cause that all makes sense.  It took 3 weeks to get his first choice in the mail and I dont know if the second has been corrected yet. 

Seems like lots of versions of the same story here. So for a new comer like myself, in the event you kill a doe first, of the tags you are issued with your license you should use the ml/bow tag? True or false?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use the ml/bow antlerless tag unless you have a DMP for the area.  Use that first as the ml/bow tag can be used statewide.  NO DMP for that WMU, then use the ml/bow antlerless tag.

For the OP - on Nov. 1, you can apply for a DMP for your upstate area if they are available.

• Like 2

I hunt 8g, 9p and 8m I only hunt 8m during the ML season so I use what tags I have left. If I kill a doe in 8g during bow I put that deer on my 8g dmp if I kill a doe in 9p with a bow that deer goes on my antlerless bow ml tag weather I have a 9p dmp or not. If happen to have a 9p dmp I save it for gun season

But if you use your dmp instead of your antlerless tag you have no doe tag for gun. I will always fill my antlerless tag before my doe tag so I can still hunt if I tag out on a buck early in gun.

All depends on the availability of DMPs.  I am pretty much guaranteed 4 DMPs where I hunt.  Prefer to hold the Bow/ML antlerless in the event I hunt outside of 8h.