Deer antlers - one side different than the other

rj23nyr

Could be an injury to the pedicle itself which would carry that difference throughout his life. If its a body injury that heals it will most likely correct itself next year. It is possible however that its just a genetic trait in his bloodline

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

shot one like this last year. Had a old wound on spine from previous year.

I had my bino's out but he was showing me the good side. I couldn't tell if there was any sort of wound. No limp in his stride. It was very noticeable though - he had a great rack on one side and the other side was puny. 4 tines on each side.

Could be an injury to the pedicle itself which would carry that difference throughout his life. If its a body injury that heals it will most likely correct itself next year. It is possible however that its just a genetic trait in his bloodline

I was leaning away from this cause because both of his sides looked normal. They were just so mis-matched.

Other than the obvious injury making one side different than the other, not all buck's racks are created equal!! Not uncommon to see side to side variations, tall narrow racks, low & wide ones, more points on one side than the other, kickers, one side skewed somewhat. etc. Just the way they grow! And maybe genetics, like a number of bucks I'd seen/gotten with no brow tines over a period of a few years. Broken tines are a completely different issue!