Maverick 88

I'm new to all this (both hunting and shooting) and am in the market for a 12 gauge. I was thinking of getting the Mossberg 500 but someone told me about Maverick 88, which is essentially a cheaper Mossy 500. I think it's great that I can customize it with Mossy 500 parts! Anyone have any tips on what to look for or things to consider with this shotty?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The best way to decide on a new gun is to go to a few local gun shops and handle a some. I say actual gun shops because they ( usually ) have a used section and you might just get a good deal on a quality gun, and at times there's a little wiggle room. Nothing wrong with buying a good used gun. Learn the hem/haw trick. A good gun dealer wants to make a sale and have repeat business. It's what keeps them in business.

The only bad thing about used is when people take a combo in, some dealers then sell the gun and barrel separately to get a few more $$$'s.

I would hit the shops, handle a few, ask questions, and then make a decision. Nothing beats hands on when buying a any form of gun or bow.

As for the Maverick 88? I have no idea how good they are but I did handle one a few years ago and it felt flimsy to me. I would go Mossy 500 Combo or Remmy 870 Combo if you really want new and are on a budget.

Edited by ....rob

The Mossberg 500 is a decent, reliable gun and inexpensive enough..Don't go over the top cheap and get a less expensive version of an already inexpensive gun. The Maverick has a  cheesy, plastic safety that is located on the bottom of the trigger guard as apposed to the Mossberg top safety. The sights on the Maverick are equally as cheesy. Spend the extra 50 bucks, or so, and get the Mossberg.

• Like 1

My first gun was a Mossy 500. The gun snobs can say what they want, but 37 years later, it still works 100%. I have long since converted it to my home protection long gun and I would trust my life to it. Been using the same Mossberg 835, 3.5" as my  turkey gun since about 1992. Its a great gun and shoots an amazing pattern. I could buy a more expensive gun , if I wanted to, but why mess with a good thing??

• Like 1

150 yards?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yea a rifled barrel shooting the sabots it like is capable further than that with prqctice. Sabots are expensive but do their job well....the h and r mentioned is also a lead slinging deer killer I had the 12 g model and shot fantastic but imo the mossy 500 combo bird and slug is hard to beat as the overall choice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would look at the Remington 870 packages or the Mossberg 500 packages.....Maverick? not so much.

Bought a newer cantilever 870 a few years back. POS IMO  Black matte barrel rusts if I look at crosseyed, Always oiling it down. Extractor claw "disappeared " recently too. Heard good things about Mossberg and their durability but no experience first hand