Arrow sound

Hookhunter20

Well guys wish I was posting this on happier terms. Many of you may remember my last post when I shot low on a nice ten point. Well I have a friend who has been begging me to take him out as he lost his spots from last year. I took him out and he shot two deer on one of my spots. Today he asked again because he needed meat for a family member who can't hunt this year due to injury. I agreed trying to be a good friend and took him out and sat in the same tree together at the spot where I had the encounter with the ten. I said shoot whatever you want my only condition was if the ten point comes out and you have a clear shot on your side of the tree you can shoot it, if it is on my side of the tree I want to take the shot. Fair enough I thought, long story short, 10 point steps out is under thick cover on a trail that would put him at 10 yards broadside right in front of me, I get ready, in disbelief I get another crack at him. Knowing I have a history with this buck from the encounter and many trail cam pictures from scouting efforts I figured my friend would be happy this deer was making his way towards me. Then the last thing I expected happened, my friend takes a severely quartered to shot through thick branch cover and all I here is a loud pop almost like someone shooting a milk jug. Pissed he would take a stupid shot like that especially when the deer was coming right into my lane and was no where in his shooting vicinity he claimed to make a good hit. No blood, no arrow, no hair and just that loud almost hollow pop? Could this be a shot into a tree or did he wound the buck on a stupid decision? Never heard a sound like that before, needless to say I don't think I'm taking him out to hunt with me after that.

A real friend would never have done that. He sounds like a greedy,selfish,person. And I understand why no one else wants to hunt with this guy. Especially after he has already killed two deer! Hope he missed the 10 point and hit a branch. Sounds like that may be the case.

• Like 2

He should have been appreciative that your even letting him come to your spot and that you were going to allow him to shoot the 10 if it came to his side. Where you watching the deer when the arrow hit? Hopefully he hit a tree because I've never heard of a hollow sounding hit when an arrow hits a deer. 

Unfortunately, I'm going to say he hit him.

Reason being:  Aside from the sound, no blood or hair.  WHERE IS THE ARROW?  Retract his shot from stand and where deer was, if hit tree you'll find that arrow.  Bottom-line you need to find the arrow, if you don't you have to assume its in him.

• Like 1

A real friend would never have done that. He sounds like a greedy,selfish,person. And I understand why no one else wants to hunt with this guy. Especially after he has already killed two deer! Hope he missed the 10 point and hit a branch. Sounds like that may be the case.

A real friend would have known that that was your deer and your shot of redemption and shooting at it robs you of that opportunity.  A real friend would have let the 10 pointer walk even if it came to their side to allow the possibility that it might turn and cross over to your side.

• Like 5

I had a friend of mine who has a great deer tracking dog go and look to be sure. He said the dog went 200 yards and never picked up a thing no blood, hair, or broken arrow piece. He is confident the deer was never hit and thinks the arrow deflected off the branches and is in a tree somewhere way off course from the shot. His dog is extremely well trained i watched him let her go from the truck and without even walking to the shot location run from the parking lot and find a buddies deer in all of 5 minutes. The guy swears up and down he killed it but I trust the dog and the trainer a little more. As all of you said my "friend" really showed his character last night, he won't be hunting with me again.

A real friend would have known that that was your deer and your shot of redemption and shooting at it robs you of that opportunity. A real friend would have let the 10 pointer walk even if it came to their side to allow the possibility that it might turn and cross over to your side.

Exactly I couldn't bring myself to do that l, you would think a they would have the decency at least. Like I said last think I expected to happen, now I know live and you learn I guess.

Not to sound short, but if he's a good enough friends with you, don't let this ruin your friendship. If he's not, he shouldn't be sharing the same stand with you to begin with. But, you are not posting about your friendship anyway. You wanted to know about the sound the arrow made. Did you go back to look for the arrow?

Not to sound short, but if he's a good enough friends with you, don't let this ruin your friendship. If he's not, he shouldn't be sharing the same stand with you to begin with. But, you are not posting about your friendship anyway. You wanted to know about the sound the arrow made. Did you go back to look for the arrow?

We used to hang out a lot but lost touch for a while when. We started hanging out again a few months ago figured we were good enough friends to have a level of respect. I know I personally wouldn't have pulled that stunt. Anyway I was working my other friend and his dog went back and looked for any sign and the arrow along the trail he ran off on found no blood, arrow, hair, or anything. Just kicked up leaves from him taking off. When he ran after the shot he spun bolted stopped about after a 40 yard dash and walked calmly into thick cover where he came from. Never heard a crash or him run through the cover.

Edited by Hookhunter20