Venison processor never again

Chef

Depending upon how much you trim can be a factor in the time it takes.  I don't do my own just because it's more than I want to deal with and I usually only shoot one deer a year.  As I get into population control this might be an issue due to cost of processing.  I will wait until I hit that bridge.  If you have the time and space it is rewarding that's for sure.  Hope it becomes necessary!

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I did a lot of butchering over the years, and frankly, I am just tired of it. I don't see it as a fun project, in fact it really is a pain. So, I am not so poor that I can't pay a little bit to let someone else do it for me. I got a good processor, and have had no complaints in the few years that I have been using him.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, I did a lot of butchering over the years, and frankly, I am just tired of it. I don't see it as a fun project, in fact it really is a pain.

When I had my own business I could schedule around butchering, now that I'm the employee it is much more of a pain. I agree, it's not a fun project and is a lot of work. You guys that say you can do one in a few hours are my hero........!! It takes me 8 hours to do an adult deer with all the trimming and grinding. That includes skinning and all cleanup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For a cheap , no cost cutting board , here is what I did . I asked a home builder to save me a couple of the formica cutouts from when they were going to install a large kitchen sink . They are about 21" X 31" . The cutouts  work great and all it cost me was a dozen donuts . If you know someone who is remodeling their kitchen and replacing the counters , have them save a length of the counter for you . Cut that to the size you want .

I was in Country Max yesterday . I saw where they have a lot of Weston grinders , bags , jerky mixes , seasonings , etc . Just what is needed to help with your venison . 

• Like 1

For a cheap , no cost cutting board , here is what I did . I asked a home builder to save me a couple of the formica cutouts from when they were going to install a large kitchen sink . They are about 21" X 31" . The cutouts work great and all it cost me was a dozen donuts . If you know someone who is remodeling their kitchen and replacing the counters , have them save a length of the counter for you . Cut that to the size you want .

I was in Country Max yesterday . I saw where they have a lot of Weston grinders , bags , jerky mixes , seasonings , etc . Just what is needed to help with your venison .

. Thanks for the heads up... Being that I'm a former chef and my wife Is still a chef we actually have pretty much all of those things at the house already.... I'm excited to do this

I enjoy butchering a deer now and then, but if it is unseasonally warm, I am happy to take it to my butcher, He certainly gets more useable meat out of it than I do, and I don't have a vacuum wrapper, which helps it keep longer. Personally, I put the neck meat into sausage....It has way too much fat in it for my taste (it isn't marbling like beef, it is tallow).

You will do fine...takes me alone about 4 hrs from start of skinning to packages.

One last tip, you probably know....after I quarter the critter ,I put the 1/4s in the freezer to firm up the meat. It makes separting and slicing a lot easier.

Ok so over all it took me about an hour to get her quarters and in bag.... We did that part at camp and then drove straight home... She is now in my fridge... I have to go get some more food saver bags and I will finish up tonight.... I have done it from this point before so I'm guessing it should only take me about 1.5 to two hours...... I will say this I am never paying to have this done again.... The neck is a total loss because his 30-06 did a number on her at only 10 yards

All packed up except for the scraps that I'm going to make sausage out of.... And one front shoulder that I'm going to tie a roast out of.... If say it took me 3 working hours to get it all done.... Not bad at all and I had fun

How many past years do you recall when there was concerned speculation about a "brown Christmas"? I recall quite a few of them. I am sure that they will assess this fall as having some warmer than normal weather, but I'll also bet that it will only be a matter of a few degrees. Probably not enough for impacting the harvests at all.

I have gutted , skinned and cut up deer when it has been 70 - 80 degrees out without any spoil . Some of the processors don't have a cooler and you deer may get processed at a later time than when you could do it . Whatever works for you ..........

I know if I shoot something early tomorrow that being so warm I'm not going to wait around to try and shoot another. I'm getting it out of there and drop to my processor who has a cooler.

I have gutted , skinned and cut up deer when it has been 70 - 80 degrees out without any spoil . Some of the processors don't have a cooler and you deer may get processed at a later time than when you could do it . Whatever works for you ..........

If I could do it today or even tomorrow I would but I just don't have time

Well what I did was quartered it at camp put the quarters in trash bags... Brought them home put them in the fridge.... Wrapped my patio table in plastic wrap set up cutting board got a bucket with a gallon of water and a TBL spoon of bleach brough out and broke down one quarter at a time and wiped up between quarters

• Like 2