question for climber stand hunters

loworange88

Morning everyone.  This is the first year I've hunted with a climber.  My question is how do most of you pack in your outer layers?  Usually I dress up, and strap my coat/vest along with gloves, hat, etc. to the stand itself and then dress up before I actually climb.  I've had some mixed results with getting sweaty while carrying the stand....mostly I realize I walk too fast to try to get to the spot, I need to slow down some, that's on me.  Does anyone use more than one hoist rope?  One for weapon of choice and the other for outer layers?  I feel like even though the climb itself isn't too tough, while I'm already warm from the walk in, adding layers at the time of the climb does not help...but I haven't figured out a good solution for putting the outer layers on the stand and then finishing to dress while at the top.  I also try to pack as light as possible, but there are times it still seems like a workout.

Thanks.

I do not use a climber, but have used ladder stands and have a couple ropes attached to pull up my stuff,after getting into the stand. Wonder if you can safely tie a couple ropes to your gear that need hauling up, after you are securely up in your climber, and safely pull your stuff up.

I am one of those guys that start sweating , just looking at work..lol...and also have a hard time pacing myself.

I dress very light for the hike in with all my warm clothes packed on the stand..Pretty common for me to be walking in in my t shirt if it is above freezing out... I put my bottoms on before climbing and the rest in the stand... I also try to have 2 pull ropes.. One for weapon and one for a pack..

Getting dressed up in the stand doesn't seem like a smart idea. How do you put your jacket on with your harness attached to the tree? I wear the hunter safety system  , so this is the last that goes on .  Take a few extra minutes to walk in and to cool off before getting dressed then get up in the stand . Be smart ..........

I too wear my safety harness under my Jacket.  My hood(on this jacket) is a removable hood with buttons, so i put the lanyard through the existing gap.  I tie off as soon as I'm up about 5 feet in the climber, and in a hang on, its the first thing I do when I reach the platform.

I think I'll try the 2 hoist rope idea.

I tie 2 ropes (25') to the seat part of the climber one for my weapon & one for my pack left on the ground. I climb up to 18-20' secure the climber then pull up the weapon & the pack if needed other wise I leave it on the ground but ready if I need it. I am always tethered in around the tree. I use the "Third hand climbing stand stabilizer straps" with the climber which really make it solid on the tree(great item/idea) check them out on u tube. I am also a sweater, I can sweat just watching the grass grow!   I also use a "Q-Safe safety strap" this thing is great also, jmo.

Edited by hunter49

I tie 2 ropes (25') to the seat part of the climber one for my weapon & one for my pack left on the ground. I climb up to 18-20' secure the climber then pull up the weapon & the pack if needed other wise I leave it on the ground but ready if I need it. I am always tethered in around the tree. I use the "Third hand climbing stand stabilizer straps" with the climber which really make it solid on the tree(great item/idea) check them out on u tube. I am also a sweater, I can sweat just watching the grass grow!   I also use a "Q-Safe safety strap" this thing is great also, jmo.

I already use the Third Hand Archery straps, they definitely make the stand solid.  I plan on getting that Q-safe strap, I only just recently discovered it.

No easy way to get your extra clothes in, it's just a hard way to hunt!  In real cold weather I tie a one piece suit to the climber otherwise I just carry it in the day pack.  Usually by the time I set up the stand I am cooled off enough to suit up, I use two ropes one for day pack and one for bow.  Sometimes get dressed in stand if I'm still hot.  It's been a few years since I used my climber.