Unexpected/stay

Dom

I don't bring any survival stuff really. Everywhere I hunt I know well or I can hear the road so I'd know where to go if I got lost.

Yes, I think every emergency rescue agency has a ton of tales about rescue activities that involved that attitude..... lol.

or I can hear the road so I'd know where to go if I got lost.

Couple of seasons ago I was hunting in the Adirondacks. We had compasses and maps and had a good idea of where to go in an emergency. A snowstorm caught us out on a mountain and it was quite a messy ordeal getting out of there. Even though I knew where to go, I had my moments of doubt and second guessing and at one point I was just yards from a road but had no clue it was there. If I did not stick with my direction of travel I could easily have turned away in another direction and never hit the road.

Been there for sure Doc...especially at camp...but got lost at home tracking a doe at night...Mr B realized something was up and grabbed the Halogen light stands out of the garage and set them up facing the woods....Wow had I gotten turned around!!! I'd would have ended up God knows where and I couldn't find my posted signs nor any of the neighbors either to get my bearings....

Oh I'll add  this too....went down on a wet spot on a slope here at home ...I had no phone and had managed to break the bones in my foot...I had to crawl on my hands and knees with that broken foot 1200 ft to make it to the road...where evenually a neighbor driving by found me They took one look and called the ambulance before going to the house to wake my daughter...Now picture doing something like that in a big woods sinario.....You just never know.

• Like 1

I got turned around on Boutwell Hill years ago, and was soaked with snow and sweat to boot. I was following the sound of the snow machines at Cockaigne and then they turned off. I ended up doing a big circle and walked right into my coat that I had left hanging on a trail. I was actually pretty nervous being as wet as I was but worst case scenario that day was a very long walk back to my truck

Oh I'll add this too....went down on a wet spot on a slope here at home ...I had no phone and had managed to break the bones in my foot...I had to crawl on my hands and knees with that broken foot 1200 ft to make it to the road...where evenually a neighbor driving by found me They took one look and called the ambulance before going to the house to wake my daughter...Now picture doing something like that in a big woods sinario.....You just never know.

My point exactly, you people who think you're too good a woodsman to get lost. It's not always about being lost, what if you slipped and broke a leg, or back or hip?!? To enter ANY woods without a compass and something to start a fire is foolish.

To think you're invincible to slipping on a rock or wet side hill or whatever for that matter is asking for trouble.

I don't bring any survival stuff really. Everywhere I hunt I know well or I can hear the road so I'd know where to go if I got lost.

most of us probably hunt pretty small tracts. anything sub 200 isn't anything to worry to much about. You get to a road and you're good. I hunt public land down south. 200k acres, still plenty of roads but nothing to joke about, even more concerning when you're off your path and tracking and trying to get the game out as easy as possible is where my gps comes in handy. Less about getting loss, more about saving time and effort.

most of us probably hunt pretty small tracts. anything sub 200 isn't anything to worry to much about. You get to a road and you're good. I hunt public land down south. 200k acres, still plenty of roads but nothing to joke about, even more concerning when you're off your path and tracking and trying to get the game out as easy as possible is where my gps comes in handy. Less about getting loss, more about saving time and effort.

I've once hiked into an area without GPS and flashlight.  I was a little over a mile from the road.  When I had about 45 minutes or so left before sundown, I figure it was time for me to leave and I had plenty of time to get out.  GPS could not pick up a signal at all.  Left my traditional compass at home.  Instead of bee-lining it straight to the road/car, I ended up zig zaging to get around obstacles.  Ended up trekking the last several hundred yards in complete darkness.  Got tore up by thorns I couldn't see and almost broke my ankles when I stepped into a crevice.  Now I always bring a traditional compass along with my GPS, space blanket, ferro rod, and flashlight even if I am hunting near a road.

• Like 1

I only hunt 70 acres so getting lost is not an issue. Falling and breaking something is always a possibility. Have lighter in backpack, extra gloves , hats , hand warmers , handgun , 2 Surefire flashlights with extra batteries , Gerber multi tool so I think I'd be pretty good for a night iPhone users : you can share location in a text if you ever needed to and have cell service.

• Like 1

i have a few power bars and candy bars. a gps, extra batteries, a lighter, knife and backup battery charger pack for my phone. Totally prepared to get lost and hope I never do haha

remind me to never leave prepping up to you and go deep into the wilderness with you and all your electronics. lmfao

I got turned around once and tried to use my compass with the map. Couldn't get it figured out because map and compass did not agree.on directionality.  I got to that area following several game trails, making difficult to back-track late afternoon.

My vest pocket that the compass was in was close to another pocket that had a magnetic flap. It reversed the compass's polarity.

Called the wife to left her know I was turned around. I ran into two hikers that frequent that area.  They got me back using an old unmarked abandoned woods road that shortened the trip back by over a mile. The road was not even on the hiking map of the area - glad I ran into those hikers.

Carrying a second compass is a good idea.

Besides compass and map, I carry a zippo lighter, 1 liter of water, pocket knife, sheaf knife, mini first-aid kit, extra hat, phone, extra power pack for phone, flashlight, headlamp, some twine, gloves, pocket rocket type of stove with fuel, 2 cup pot, and a radio (either my FRS or my HAM HT).  Some places I go may only be 3/4 mile from a paved public road, but not have phone service, so it is good to have a backup device to try to reach someone. Even if it is just to coordinate with a search party looking for you.

I wear BDU style pants for camping, hiking, and hunting.  Those pockets can hold a bunch of stuff, and carry the rest in a waist pack harness system or daypack (varies according to my needs, or need of the group I am with on the outing.  Don't knock carrying extra's. Sometimes they are no longer extra's - batteries die, items can fall out of a pocket....  My extra bandanna's became a sling for kid who tripped and broke his arm.  We had to hike him out 3 miles to trail head to get him to his parents and medical care. You just never know.

I have built a shelter as a teen and slept in it overnight - was warm and cozy (also had a sleeping bag then as it was during a camp-out).  If you need some ideas on this, see Army Survival Handbook, Boy Scout Handbook, Wildness survival guides.  Good sources on info for outdoor skills.

Always let someone know where you are going, and when you expect to be back. 

I always check-in with the wife near sunset that I am on the way back to the car and how long I expect it to be before I am on the way home.  Normally check-in around lunch time too, just so she knows I am okay and let her know if staying in the same spot, or going elsewhere.

At first when I was posting this topic I myself was like who cares about the use of a compass.I learned from my Dad and many others that the compass is one of the instruments to be in every back pack.,This was for most new and upcoming hunters hikers.the size or amount of land that we hunt the weather will always be a factor.

At first when I was posting this topic I myself was like who cares about the use of a compass.I learned from my Dad and many others that the compass is one of the instruments to be in every back pack.,This was for most new and upcoming hunters hikers.the size or amount of land that we hunt the weather will always be a factor.

im embarrassed to say I can't use a compass. My neighbors are both scout leaders and are going to teach me

im embarrassed to say I can't use a compass. My neighbors are both scout leaders and are going to teach me

. I'll fess up , not so good with one either. I always use Transit road as a reference for north and south. I was told it was one of the most north / south roads there is. If I'm in the woods I think which way is Lockport or which way is Hamburg

I've once hiked into an area without GPS and flashlight.  I was a little over a mile from the road.  When I had about 45 minutes or so left before sundown, I figure it was time for me to leave and I had plenty of time to get out.  GPS could not pick up a signal at all.  Left my traditional compass at home.  Instead of bee-lining it straight to the road/car, I ended up zig zaging to get around obstacles.  Ended up trekking the last several hundred yards in complete darkness.  Got tore up by thorns I couldn't see and almost broke my ankles when I stepped into a crevice.  Now I always bring a traditional compass along with my GPS, space blanket, ferro rod, and flashlight even if I am hunting near a road.

what gps were you using? i've never had an issues with my garmin 64st. even in ravines with no cell reception. plus, your lack of flashing man! haha

remind me to never leave prepping up to you and go deep into the wilderness with you and all your electronics. lmfao

yeah I guess a knife and lighter, food and years of woodsmanship are way to techy... The only electronic I rely on is my gps and even then I have a compass and cell as a backup.

what gps were you using? i've never had an issues with my garmin 64st. even in ravines with no cell reception. plus, your lack of flashing man! haha

Lack of flashlight again goes into the mindset that the road is right there, I'm only scouting, will be in and out before night fall.  Only carried a camelbak backpack with a snacks and GPS.

Was using Garmin eTrex 10.  I believe nearby airfield might have caused interference.

yeah I guess a knife and lighter, food and years of woodsmanship are way to techy... The only electronic I rely on is my gps and even then I have a compass and cell as a backup.

haha.... easy.  just bustin' on ya as I don't know what your experience is.  your post was mostly electronics and major things that you apparently (compass) or probably bring (water or means to get it) weren't mentioned.  then your post ended with you're totally prepared to get lost.

I carry a compass and map when I hunt the 5 Ponds Wilderness (Lows Lake), but I rarely travel very far into the forest from the lake. Being older (67) and solo I err on the side of caution.

I still do solo canoe trips in northern Ontario every year and for that I bought a SPOT device a few years ago. It has a 3 easy functions, one sends a message to any email address that says "I'm ok", the next button says "I need help but not life threatening" and the third button sends a message to the closest SAR authority's that says I need an extraction. Each message function gives my co-ordinates.

Even when I hunt my own place here in Ct. I carry it, should I fall or drop out of my stand (old guys nap alot..haha)I can call for help via the SPOT

Here I am 10 days in on a 100 mile solo canoe trip in northern Ontario a few years back, SPOT device in hand, sending an ok message before a grueling mile and 1/4 portage that hadn't seen a traveler in many years

DSC02332_zpsee66e99f.jpg