hunters safety course question

tommyc50

hi everyone i have a 17 yrs old nephew who wants to hunt i looked on line for a list of courses  all the info i got was the online course does any of you guys know a list of courses on long island? he not that pactient for online course i would rather him go to a traditional course

• 4 weeks later...

The online courses are only half online. The other half of the course is the traditional group style. I helped a buddy get his a couple years ago. The online part is more of a studying tool to prepare for the test/course. I actually got recruited to help in the field course.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

The online courses are only half online. The other half of the course is the traditional group style. I helped a buddy get his a couple years ago. The online part is more of a studying tool to prepare for the test/course. I actually got recruited to help in the field course.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

I took the PA online course which is $19.50 (NY is $22.75 i believe)... printed out the certificate and went that day to get my NY hunting license.  No need for the in person class.  Not sure if that will hold true after tonight though.

I took the PA online course which is $19.50 (NY is $22.75 i believe)... printed out the certificate and went that day to get my NY hunting license.  No need for the in person class.  Not sure if that will hold true after tonight though.

So daughter can take PA online course and then it'll carry over and can get her a NY license ?

If it's an international course they have to honor it. I know NY doesn't like straight up online courses. The online stuff we have in NJ exempts you from the field portion of test. You must still take an actual written test n pass your discipline courses. Example bow/firearm.

I didn't give you a yes or no because I don't know what Pa. Teaches. You can come to Jersey though and be done with everything in one day, save the workbook you do at home.

If it's not too far Itd be worth the trip. We do classes in Vernon which touches Orange co.

Club is called cherry ridge.

You must bring a bow if that's her discipline, 5 matched arrows, and be proficient. 3 out of 5 arrows in a deers vitals at 15-20 yards.

Myself n most of the guys are archery certified instructors n if she has issues I'm sure she'll get more than a fair chance n help. But she must be proficient.

Firearms is only about safety but she'll need to shoot.

Classes typically start in March and you can walk in. Springtime classes less full

So daughter can take PA online course and then it'll carry over and can get her a NY license ?

There is a disclaimer on the DEC page stating that in 2016 "homework" will be required prior to attending hunters ed classes.  I am not sure how that is going to affect things now that we are in 2016.

My son and I both took the PA hunters ed class:  https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/?gclid=CKrFi8_Pi8oCFckWHwodZmsJCg

You read through the material, takes about 6 hours.  take a few quizes on each section and then take a final exam of 65 questions.  You can take the final as many times as you need to pass.  Once you pass you pay the $19 and change... print out a temporary certificate good for 30 days.  We took our certificate to gander mountain and got our hunting license right there.  We got our laminated credit card sized certificate a week later.

• Like 1

From what I have learned...PA and Texas are the only two states that will allow a non resident to take their complete online hunter safety class.  A NYS DEC officer told me that New York will honer any out of state certified hunter safety course.  

I have never had enough time to take a course here in NY mainly because of poor planning but also because of work being very seasonal.  I would definitely rather one of my kids take a hands on course than the online course or maybe even both as I did learn a ton in the online course.

I took the Online PA course friday before opening day of gun in the morning, took 5 hours, went and got a license, a crossbow and a shotgun that afternoon.  Went out afternoon of opening day.  I, fortunately had two decent shots at two deer during the season and started my hunting obsession.  However I would be cautious letting a youth out with little to no experience and probably should have taken a step back and looked at myself and what I was doing.  Fortunately everything worked out ok and I have some decent mentors.  Every kid is different.