Time to do some predator control

Since I did not connect this deer season, I was wondering why I did not see too many deer. So we pulled the cards and saw many Yotes on camera. It's 3 deer seasons now that I did not connect so I've decided I need to do some predator control.

So in order to help me take some of these dogs out the following weekend, i just ordered this caller. It got good reviews and I got it at a reasonable price from the the sportsmansguide.com. The caller comes with a remote controlled decoy. Can't wait to use it in the field. Any one have any experience with this caller?

DT

post-1257-0-10542300-1450922640_thumb.pn

Coyotes are a lot more difficult to kill than you're thinking. Do some research. Its going to take more than dog food or an electronic caller to be successful. Be patient and read up on tactics. It can be done but don't go in expecting to stack up coyotes because it won't happen.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Coyotes are a lot more difficult to kill than you're thinking. Do some research. Its going to take more than dog food or an electronic caller to be successful. Be patient and read up on tactics. It can be done but don't go in expecting to stack up coyotes because it won't happen.

From all the talk here lately I figured we've got to have some real experts on board.  I'm looking forward to their responses...................

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/30893-whos-killed-a-coyote/

Not following you...? Implying I'm an expert?

Nope not you, I'm implying we have lots of experts here. 

Note the times posted on your post and mine; I type with one finger............and the thought has been on my brain for a while.  Lots of big talk from all the coyote killers and they have no idea just how difficult it is to do without dogs or while deer hunting.

Sure, it can be done but it's difficult.  Most guys get out in the winter and freeze their onions off or get too scared if hunting after dark.  :)

• Like 2

Nope not you, I'm implying we have lots of experts here.

Note the times posted on your post and mine; I type with one finger............and the thought has been on my brain for a while. Lots of big talk from all the coyote killers and they have no idea just how difficult it is to do without dogs or while deer hunting.

Sure, it can be done but it's difficult. Most guys get out in the winter and freeze their onions off or get too scared if hunting after dark. :)

I too laugh every time I see newbies to coyote hunting going in all gung-ho. I was there once too so I fully understand. Coyotes make deer look really dumb, I'll be the first to admit I don't kill a lot of coyotes but I get a few every year and its no easy task. I bet your predator thread stays pretty quiet despite the millions of yotes people "know" are there.

To the OP, I don't mean to come off negative, you should definitely get out there and have fun just don't get discouraged because kills are generally few and far between. There have been numerous threads lately on the coyote topic and most peoples knowledge of them is very limited/unfounded. If you need any help/information feel free to ask.

• Like 2

Obviously I don't expect them to come in on a string. If it happens then I'll be happy. If it doesn't well c'est la vie....in the last few years we took a couple off the property. If we can take a couple her and there, then there will be two less spooking the deer.

• Like 1

I hunt them often and have never connected few missed shots busted so many times I lost track...I'll tell ya sitting in the dark at all hours of night with a pack of yotes howling is spooky and awsome all at the same time....one point to I will say is if you plan on hunting darkness invest in a good light...makes a huge difference.

I personally use mouth calls as I like them better and have used decoys a Lil bit. My light set up is 2. 1mil candlewatt rechargeable lights and a backpack with a motorcycle battery in it with a 12v power connector for another backup if needed lasts longer than I do usually...alot of fun and always chances at Fox bc they are alot more curios

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hunt them often and have never connected few missed shots busted so many times I lost track...I'll tell ya sitting in the dark at all hours of night with a pack of yotes howling is spooky and awsome all at the same time....one point to I will say is if you plan on hunting darkness invest in a good light...makes a huge difference.

I personally use mouth calls as I like them better and have used decoys a Lil bit. My light set up is 2. 1mil candlewatt rechargeable lights and a backpack with a motorcycle battery in it with a 12v power connector for another backup if needed lasts longer than I do usually...alot of fun and always chances at Fox bc they are alot more curios

That's quite a heavy setup with those lead-acid batteries. Lithium reduces the weight and length you can be out there by a huge amount.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That's quite a heavy setup with those lead-acid batteries. Lithium reduces the weight and length you can be out there by a huge amount.

Yea eventually I'd love a higher tech set up my old man did this year's ago and that's where I learned it from...a motorcycle/lawnmower battery doesn't weigh to much and I have a bunch of them out for the winter taking turns on the charger so it's cheap and easy. What are decent lithium battery's out there any suggestions?

Yea eventually I'd love a higher tech set up my old man did this year's ago and that's where I learned it from...a motorcycle/lawnmower battery doesn't weigh to much and I have a bunch of them out for the winter taking turns on the charger so it's cheap and easy. What are decent lithium battery's out there any suggestions?

The lighting systems today are pretty advanced. CREE LED emitters housed in multi-mode drivers powered by 2500 mAh lithium-ion batteries all enclosed in aircraft grade aluminum. Total weight of approximately 16oz. Most lithium-ions you'll find are the 18650, laptop batteries. But be careful, not all are created equal and some are down right dangerous. Buy from a reputable source when it comes to Li-Ion.

Fox are easy over the caller. Coyotes not so much.

#4 buckshot works well. I couldn't get dead coyote loads to pattern out of any tube. Anybody who has ever called coyotes has used dying rabbit. Use something else. Pileated woodpecker, fawn distress , red fox fighting grey etc. Give them something different. Obviously play the wind , THEY will approach downwind Trying to pan the light and shoot by yourself nearly impossible. Hit them with the edge of your light. 20 minute stands and move. Expect the police to see your light and see what you're doing. Make sure you have something behind you to break up your silhouette. A motion like decoy will divert attention from you I even spritz a little rabbit urine on the decoy. When it's cold the reeds in mouth calls freeze pretty easily Snow camo is good but a white disposable painters cloth jumpsuit works Full moons and snow are perfect for no lighting needed. I'm sure I forgot a few tips but hopefully one or two help out. And the best is touching one off at 2 am in the morning. Anyone who hears it are like wth was that ? Good luck and post some pics.

• Like 1

I hope this is a joke. Poison is much more likely to kill ravens and eagles. Just ask that farmer in western NY. BTW - read this month's National Geographic on vultures.

Yeah, I'm joking. I can be an A-hole, but a criminal? No. Edited by Skillet
  • Like 3

you should check out the FoxPro forums, there is a wealth of knowledge on predator hunting and the guys on the forum are super helpful. Like Chrisw said, they are a lot harder to call in and kill than people realize. I found that out the same way most newbies do.

Make scent control your number one priority and make sure your wind isn't blowing into the area you want to hunt while walking in. I like to put my e caller upwind so that the coyotes want to "fall in my lap" while getting downwind of the caller. I also like to stay a minimum of an hour on each stand. Start your caller on a low volume and work your way up through the set. One other thing I have learned, for me, is that you gotta give them something for a wind advantage. That's why I like crosswinds.

A lot of the time, coyotes that come in for me hang up on the wood's edge and don't want to come out in the open, even at night. So a setup where you can shoot to that edge will help you. If not, u can turn the caller down to where you can barely hear it and it can pull them in, or switch to a coaxer sound like a vole squeak, barely audible to your ears, to try and pull them in.

It is also a rule of thumb for our eastern coyotes that you might have a coyote show itself to your calling 1 out of 12 stands. So be patient and keep at it. a lot of times I think coyotes come into my calling, investigate, and leave without me ever knowing.

Hope this helps some and feel free to PM if you have any questions at all. Be sure to build as much knowledge as possible before getting out there because the first stand in an area will be your best shot. You will also learn something every stand you make. Just make sure to cross your i's and dot your t's bc every "mistake" you make in your setup, they will capitalize on it.

• Like 3

I have never hunted yotes.....I have thought about trying.....I have only ever seen two in my life while deer hunting. One was probably 20 years ago, I was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree. It came in from my right on a dead sprint and damn near ran over my legs and was gone. It was so fast I didn't have time to even move and grab my gun. The second time was probably 5 years ago. I was in a tree stand overlooking a ravine. I caught movement to my left and turned my head and saw a yote creeping silently down the top of the ridge. I moved just enough to get myself in position to shoot it and it saw me and it was gone. No waiting around to see what I was or investigating. It just bolted. We have a lot of them too. We can't leave a deer overnight or it will be ripped into...Gut piles are gone by morning....I agree that they make deer look stupid....It is in our Bylaws in our hunting club that if we see one we shoot it.....someone shoots one about every 3 or 4 years.....They must be very smart animals....You would think they would be less worried being the alpha predator in the woods most of the time....