Suburban Backyard Hunting

RoadKill44

Is there anyone else who bow hunts in suburban backyards?

By that I mean literally in a non-wooded backyard. There are $300,000 and $400,000 dollar homes situated on two acre plots with adjoining backyards. On occasion there may be neighboring pets out and potentially children playing across the way. There may be ornamental trees and shrubs. There may be gardens and fences. Again I’m not talking about plopping down in adjacent wood lots. You may be using a tree stand, group of pines, shed, deck or tent style blind for cover but still you are in someone’s backyard.

The problem is one of deer over population.  The combination of suburban development adjacent to public parks provides a super safe haven for deer. Hunting in these areas is tough because a hunter needs to pay attention to setbacks and obtain permission from several neighbors. Also because of human population density, if a hunter does get permission, they’ll be limited to bow (or crossbow).

That being said, I’d like to hear from bow hunters who are doing just that. How did you happen to get into such areas? What special safety considerations do you adhere to? How are the landowners helping (or hindering) you?

This photo was taken by the landowner showing me the problem they have with deer. This particular yard is hit the hardest with many ornamental bushes being eaten every year. I hunted from the shed shown in the picture. On the right end is a big double door (about 6X6) and I sit inside with one door open. Most deer are skittish but some will walk right up to you. although I saw 20 or so deer every day it took me two weeks to get my first one. Because I'm there for population control I only target mature doe. The little guys and bucks are safe.

Just to clarify: I am talking Bow only. A pet might be let out for a nature break and I wouldn't shoot at that time. I'm in the backyard and a bus comes by to pick up and drop off school kids at the road out front and about 150 yards from the shed. I wouldn't shoot then either for fear of exposing a child to an injured deer running off after being hit. I take no shots over 40 yards to insure good shot placement. there are other rules a follow for myself and that is why I asked for input from others who may be doing the same thing. I'm interested in the rules and precautions they follow.

• Like 4

I have several friends who hunt in rural yards. 2.5 acre lots, they do quite well and are welcomed by the land owners because the deer eat all their landscaping. 1 guy has gotten 6 doe and a beautiful 9pt in 3 years.

Ok I'm NOT the only one. I'd like to talk to those guys.

PS Not a knapper but I hit the stone tool show each year.

• Like 1

I know a guy who took over 20 deer in one year in the Town of Irondequote bow hunt .

It would be hard to,get more suburban than that .

My friends parents house was on a private dead end st. In Webster, it was the last house on the St. Behind it was a creek then a woods . The owners would be in Fla. starting from Nov. 1.

The family room over the garage made a very nice spot to shoot deer from .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

In other words, you don't have a spot like that to hunt or you'd be hunting it right?

No, not really. I like to have room to walk around, I can't sit all morning, day, or afternoon. 2014 I only had my bow, and I hunted a bow only area that was public land in the burbs. I didn't care for it too much. Hearing cars that sounded like they were driving by right next to me was odd to me. Hearing other hunters slam vehicle doors was more then irritating. The only thing more irritating was the thump of an over-dropped base from car stereos. I just prefer to hunt in the woods like it was intended.

I really don't care where or how other people hunt anymore. To me, it's about getting out in the woods, scouting, and taking your chances. I wouldn't fish a trout farm either just to catch fish.

But like I said, if the area allows hunting, then do it. We don't all need to hunt the same way. We just need to hunt.

• Like 1

No, not really. I like to have room to walk around, I can't sit all morning, day, or afternoon. 2014 I only had my bow, and I hunted a bow only area that was public land in the burbs. I didn't care for it too much. Hearing cars that sounded like they were driving by right next to me was odd to me. Hearing other hunters slam vehicle doors was more then irritating. The only thing more irritating was the thump of an over-dropped base from car stereos. I just prefer to hunt in the woods like it was intended.

I really don't care where or how other people hunt anymore. To me, it's about getting out in the woods, scouting, and taking your chances. I wouldn't fish a trout farm either just to catch fish.

But like I said, if the area allows hunting, then do it. We don't all need to hunt the same way. We just need to hunt.

I think this attitude about the quality of the hunt and some of the aesthetic requirements of the act of hunting, is in the minority, but I do share those in those requirements when it comes to my hunting. For me there is an atmosphere that has to exist before I enjoy a hunt. I couple the activity to a sense of history and tradition, and the kill is secondary to the authenticity of the experience. I don't like to hear neighbors arguing in the background. I don't like hearing radios and TVs blaring. I don't want to see a neighbor walking about in his pajamas to pick up the morning paper.....lol. Also, knowing that deer almost never fall down dead where shot with an arrow. I do worry about ugly situations of bloody deer dying in some rather intrusive places. I am concerned about uncomfortable confrontations with irate parents when the deer drops in a neighbor-kids sandbox. I am not really all that fond of making my hunting a public spectacle. I have no problem with those that do, but it just is not my thing.

• Like 2

Re reading this thread reminded me of when I hunted by my home here in Webster .

My best stand was less than 75 yards from the parking lot of the town barn, guys would leave work yelling , slamming doors, burning out, and mature bucks would be staged by my stand.

I could hear kids playing outside at Klem South school, along with leaf blowers and dogs....

My best turkey I took across from Wilink middle school, it was hard to hear him as they were having gym class outside .

It's a kinda funny when you think of of it, I've hunted " out west" and it was easier to kill a nice buck In the wilds of Montana than the suburbs of NY. There's areas where you see 300 deer a day and half the guys hunt out of pick ups , ok make that most guys .

Edited by Larry302

AnsweringQuestions:

1) I shouldn’t have changed the topic by inserting “knapp” comment. My bad. The comment was aimed at G-Man. He got it and provided the correct answer.  Apologies.

2) Yes, it is somewhat like fishing at a trout farm. But it’s not all that easy. The “Seeing loads of Deer” part is fun but, you can’t always shoot what you see. A big doe broadside at 20 yards is not a shot with a garage door behind it at 40 yards. There are many challenges related to being extra safe and being discrete about it. Unlike woodland hunting, you not only have to pay closer attention to backdrop, but you also have to insure you’ll be able to recover your broadhead. It’s important not to leave a broadhead in a lawn for several reasons. A clean kill is important and you must consider where the deer will go after hit. It would be best if no one else saw a deer parish. The presence of children or a dog more than 150 yards away, though safe, you still have to think about their reaction. Your intent and their perception of your intent may not coincide. Letting the neighbors know about your intentions and purpose beforehand greatly helps. The challenges and frustrations though totally different can still make suburban hunting enjoyable.

3) Yes, the atmosphere can be annoying at times. Lawns being mowed, the hammering of home improvement contractors, school bus dropping kids off and dogs barking can all be distractions. The good news is that the deer seem accustomed to it and pay little attention. That in itself is interesting to observe. I’ve come to discover that suburban deer have a totally different mindset.

My purpose is to help a friend with a deer problem. I enjoy seeing bucks, but target doe and I split the meat with my non-hunting friend. I see it as the ideal bowhunting situation while helping to solve a problem as well.

I also agree that woodland hunting is a better experience. The silence, seeing other wildlife and the occasional huge flake snowfalls are all sooooo enjoyable.

I also enjoy your comments.

• Like 1