Beagles

Lawdwaz

I have a beagle x blue tick hound mix.  I got him from a rescue in WV.  He isn't much of a hunting dog.  Never tried running rabbits, but he'll tree a squirrel like no one's business. I just can't shoot it because a gunshot sends him into the next county.  He has a hell of a nose though.  I've been playing around with training him as a blood tracking dog if I can only find the time.  

12509586_10100381946483182_5351059711106

EDIT: Sorry for the massive pic.  I can't figure out how to resize for the life of me.  

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 4

Male beagle 7 yrs old

$500 — Upstate ny

I have a male beagle ukc reg I bought him to hunt hare he is a real good hare dog just working a lot don't have time to hunt him pm for more info

2 year old blue tick beagle

$300 — P.A.

Blue is a good gun dog.Had a lot of rabbits shot to him.Reason for sale cutting back on dogs.

wo 2.5 year old females

$300 — Bulger, Pennsylvania

I have two grade female litter mates they are collar broke and will not run junk just to slow for my pack

Something else of interest, this is not me nor or any of the above dogs for sale mine:

Anyone need your puppy started or your young dog worked more I have a 8 acre pen I can work them in

$150 — Greenfield Center, New York

$50 a month

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

I had a beagle x blue tick, no more difficult to house train than any other dog, Any beagle on a run after a rabbit is very tough to call off...it is what their whole existence is for.

If you want the dog primarily for rabbit, I would stay with a beagle...blue ticks can out run a rabbit over a distance (at least my x could....much more blue tick than beagle sized).

I ended up finding an appreciative family for her ....simply couldn't find any rabbits any more due to predation.

We had a female beagle when I was a kid.  On more than one occasion we couldn't get her off a track by dark and you could go out at midnight and still hear her running rabbits.  She would go and go until she must have finally gotten hungry and headed home.  

And as was mentioned before, she basically listened when she wanted to.  If you would call her to come, she would go the other way for about 50 yards, wait until you closed the distance to ten yards or so and then she'd head away from you again.  She was a great pet and hunting dog, though, and she is surely missed (mostly by my dad who's health keeps him from hunting any more, otherwise he'd have another beagle for sure).  

The best solution would be to find a good friend that wants or has beagles too, and just hunt with them all the time!

My friend had a kennel full of beagles and we rabbit hunted together several times, great fun, and working with the dogs is the best part. They are stubborn, but that is what makes them such great hunters.

We also hunted with another friend of his that had a Rottweiler, best dam rabbit dog I ever saw......

Side story: Todd took off on a deer once and got lost. Another friends grandfather told him to take his jacket off and leave it near the last place you saw him, he will be laying on it in the morning. Sure enough, he was!

Had a Brittney spaniel before. Couldn't find that dog anywhere. Did the jacket and a bowl of food... Just like you say was there in the morning.

Side story: Todd took off on a deer once and got lost. Another friends grandfather told him to take his jacket off and leave it near the last place you saw him, he will be laying on it in the morning. Sure enough, he was!

I did that when Chester was hunting, he didn't go to jacket he went to someone's house