Beagles

Lawdwaz

Tell me about your beagles and if you hunt them......(anybody here that has one)

Male or female?

How well do they mind you?

Can you call them off a bunny if they get to close to a road?

How about in the house, easy to train?

Good with other dogs?

Me personally, I have only owned two dogs of my own, both labs.  Perfect labs...................

I'd hate to get into something I might regret as I get older but I'd love to hunt rabbits.

Put up some pics please, hunting, loafing or any type of beagle pic!!

• Like 1

I had a beagle "Gunner" for 17 years. Unfortunately, I didn't get to him quick enough as a pup to make him much of a hunting dog. He would run rabbits, but was so gun shy that after I shot I would have to return home to retrieve him from the front porch... where he'd be shaking like a leaf. Not really his fault I just didn't start him out soon enough. But he was as loyal and friendly as the day is long... I'd always had labs before that and they were great dogs as well, yet there was something special about the beagle. My wife and I are past the point of wanting to train or keep another dog because we are away from home more now since our children are all grown and gone. But I would highly recommend a beagle if you have the time to spend with it, you won't be disappointed.

post-525-0-03823600-1453689060_thumb.jpg

My hunting buddy always had Beagles.. 4 or 5 different ones over the last 25 years. They were all great on rabbits but hard to call off.  Once they hit a scent, forget it. I remember, on two separate occasions,  going back the next morning to find them, because the day before they got on a scent and just never came back. 

Maybe it was the way he trained them…Im not sure.

Well here is Gus , he spent a solid hour moving rocks with his nose to get after a mouse in this rock wall in Bristol . Any other questions ?

He's a knuckle head, I got him from the pound at two,years old. He did everything he could to escape the house and for a couple years i chased him all through the neighborhood. One time I found him when he got trapped on the cover of a built in pool down the street .

I tried to " cage train " him but he broke out twice , by that I mean he broke the welds on the bars and got out , if he could not break out he would do,that sweet beagle hollow for hours.....,

I never tried to train him for hunting , I was happy when he stopped chewing up everything ......

Now he is a great family dog and is awesome at recovering deer.

I admire those who,can train these dogs for rabbits and such , I'm not one though .

post-253-0-18885500-1453689247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

Chester was an indoor dog and It won't happen with my next. Beagles are stubborn! They don't hear you, they might look at you but they don't care what your saying. They have a mission and they want to complete it. I am sure I am not a good trainer.

On the flip side, they can be so much fun! The sqeek that then becomes a bark! The excitement the first time they hit that rabbit is awesome. To see the excitement of the dog of the dog knowing it's going out is great. To see they are on a rabbit is so much fun. Just seeing a rabbit is exciting. So many times I don't even bring a gun with me. You forget it's cold out, sometimes anyway.

Here ya go...

My buddy had a beagle that if he left it in the car & didn't run him for some reason every time he got back to his car the dog had the head liner ripped to shreds & all hanging down! He did it 2'xs that I knew of, lmao!  We always had 3 beagles we ran, always loved rabbit hunting, I would like to get back into it someday!

Edited by hunter49

Male beagle 7 yrs old
$500 — Upstate ny
I have a male beagle ukc reg I bought him to hunt hare he is a real good hare dog just working a lot don't have time to hunt him pm for more info

2 year old blue tick beagle
$300 — P.A.
Blue is a good gun dog.Had a lot of rabbits shot to him.Reason for sale cutting back on dogs.

wo 2.5 year old females
$300 — Bulger, Pennsylvania
I have two grade female litter mates they are collar broke and will not run junk just to slow for my pack

My responses in RED below.

Tell me about your beagles and if you hunt them......(anybody here that has one)

I kept beagles for about 15 years when I lived where cottontails where plentiful. IMO Snowshoes aren't worth expending time & ammunition on.

Male or female?

Female seemed to be the best. Males spend too much tome "marking" before they would get down to business.

How well do they mind you?

Good hounds are by nature hard headed. If you can get a Beagle to come to you when it is not on a scent you are doing good.

Can you call them off a bunny if they get to close to a road?

NOT a good one!

How about in the house, easy to train?

Beagle can make good house dogs but keeping them in the house can be dangerous if they get lost overnight in cold weather. I kept mine in a kennel. Kept outdoors their coats are heavy enough to survive overnight outdoors.

Good with other dogs?

That depends on the individual dog.

Me personally, I have only owned two dogs of my own, both labs.  Perfect labs...................

I'd hate to get into something I might regret as I get older but I'd love to hunt rabbits.

Put up some pics please, hunting, loafing or any type of beagle pic!!

Beagles are best when run in packs of 2 or more. Each dogs has its weak & strong points. Having more than one on the trail increases the odds exponentially.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I have had 2  both from 8 weeks old , 1 male and 1 female , the female was the better hunter of the 2 and loved to sit beside me at night, the male was thick headed but would listen , had him trained for blood tracking deer , he picked up a sent pretty good. House trained both from the get go. Never hunted rabbits with them because of the Fox in the area killing the all.

A few other points. Some of the best Beagles I ever had were $25 farm beagles.

I have had litter-mates (from the same sire & dam) where one was outstanding while the other wasn't worth a darned.

A Beagle that is hungry will hunt a lot harder than one with a full belly. I always fed my Beagles in the evening so they would be hungry ion the mornings.

A Beagle that is left to run free will hunt for him/herself., not to mention all the mischief it will get into like running deer.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Keep 'em coming, I'm on the fence...... :)

What are you thoughts with what has been said. You should go to a beagle club to check out the running and what the dogs love doing, plus you could ask more question while there.

If you find puppies I am looking also ????

What are you thoughts with what has been said. You should go to a beagle club to check out the running and what the dogs love doing, plus you could ask more question while there.

If you find puppies I am looking also ????

To be perfectly honest, there ain't a snowballs chance in hell that my wife will allow a beagle in the house (or yard) but a guy can dream, right?  :)  When ever I see a beagle I think of years gone by and the fun I had as a young whipper snapper, hunting with a knot headed female beagle named Samantha that was chasing bunnies!  Heck, I couldn't have been 12 or 13 at the time.  We never killed a limit, probably not even close but we did kill some.

That said, I love the dogs and, even more......I love the stories.  I've laughed so hard at the tales you guys/gals have spun!

Those pics are a hoot too.

OK, the truth is out, I hope the stories continue though.  :)

• Like 1