Maple Burl

Rebel Darling

Last weekend, just before the fellas and I enjoyed a venison backstrap, we took a walk around the property sizing the maples up for suitability in a future as guitars.  We found a pair that we'll fell later in the year, but we also found this sizable maple burl that will likely become quite a bit of inlay.  I'll drive it up to his shop in Freeport, ME in a couple of weeks.  I don't know if there are any other musicians/guitar players out there, but if we cut into it, I'll post some follow-up pictures regardless; burl is beautiful, and we're hoping this one is solid all the way through.  Frikkin' weighs enough...

Here's my buddy's website, in case anyone is interested in his building style:

http://www.aoguitars.com/

post-6947-0-95296400-1455820094_thumb.jp

• Like 3

It's a tough business. The stars want your stuff for free, and the up-and-comers want your stuff for free.

The guitars, basses, and drums I built are still out there being played around the world. As a business it didn't work out, but it's pretty cool to get a CD in the mail, or a backstage pass now and then.

• Like 5

It's a tough business. The stars want your stuff for free, and the up-and-comers want your stuff for free.

The guitars, basses, and drums I built are still out there being played around the world. As a business it didn't work out, but it's pretty cool to get a CD in the mail, or a backstage pass now and then.

I must be somewhere in-between...  I haven't gotten anything for free.  Ha. 

To be honest, I have gotten some really generous discounts, though.  I have a Martin D-18 straight out of the custom shop that will be an heirloom.

If you don't mind, under what name did you brand your instruments, philo...?

• Like 1

Long time guitar player here. I'm very interested in following this thread! Very cool!

A fella I know used to own an arts studio / performance spot in Altamont not too long ago, and I'd play there from time to time.  Desolation Road Studio was the name.  Some of the picture frames I have were once the stage I tapped my feet on. 

Love me some pickin' and a'singin' too.

• Like 2

A fella I know used to own an arts studio / performance spot in Altamont not too long ago, and I'd play there from time to time.  Desolation Road Studio was the name.  Some of the picture frames I have were once the stage I tapped my feet on. 

Love me some pickin' and a'singin' too.

Yes, been in there a few times! Even played around with the six string banjo he kept around. Awesome guy and place. Was sorry to see the closed sign. 

• Like 1

I must be somewhere in-between...  I haven't gotten anything for free.  Ha. 

To be honest, I have gotten some really generous discounts, though.  I have a Martin D-18 straight out of the custom shop that will be an heirloom.

If you don't mind, under what name did you brand your instruments, philo...?

Philo Custom Shop. Hence my screen name here.

• Like 1

I only built about a dozen basses and 2 dozen guitars. Only one instrument is unaccounted for that I'm aware of, and the vast majority of them are still in use in the Buffalo area. I think Rob Derhak was using one of mine when he was featured in Bass Player magazine several years ago, but it's not likely that anyone would remember my company.

post-4931-0-83209000-1455845367_thumb.jp

This is a simple Strat-style body I did for a friend who is now the master distiller at the Buffalo Distillery.

• Like 5

I only built about a dozen basses and 2 dozen guitars. Only one instrument is unaccounted for that I'm aware of, and the vast majority of them are still in use in the Buffalo area. I think Rob Derhak was using one of mine when he was featured in Bass Player magazine several years ago, but it's not likely that anyone would remember my company.

attachicon.gif10310666_10153499705040832_7262731779033693374_n.jpg

This is a simple Strat-style body I did for a friend who is now the master distiller at the Buffalo Distillery.

Beautiful guitar!  What pickups did you use. Classic's or something hotter?

If you ever build another, just to play it, I see a road trip and a six pack in my future!

Beautiful guitar!  What pickups did you use. Classic's or something hotter?

If you ever build another, just to play it, I see a road trip and a six pack in my future!

Thanks Grampy.

Most of the bolt-on neck guitars I built used parts from the inexpensive imports that Fender sold. The necks and electronics were made here and were very high quality, but the bodies were awful. It was cheaper to buy the used guitar than to buy the parts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't been very good about following discussions. Sorry to come in late. I make burls into bowls for special occasion gifts. I collect all I can find and store them in the barn. This one wouldn't have made a good bowl so I hung it on the wall.

post-5300-0-75496800-1458307262_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I haven't been very good about following discussions. Sorry to come in late. I make burls into bowls for special occasion gifts. I collect all I can find and store them in the barn. This one wouldn't have made a good bowl so I hung it on the wall.

attachicon.gifDSC00597.JPG

It looks like it is about to start spurting eggs in an Alien movie..lol

• Like 1