Looking for a cheap .22 Scope

ApexerER

My old Bushnell that if I remember right I paid $39.00 for about 20 years ago has finally crapped out. I have had it mounted on my Ruger 10/22 for at least 20 years and was always very happy with it for what it was. I use my .22 mostly for plinking. I used to hunt squirrels with it many years ago and might again if I ever find the time. Anyway the scope has lost focus so it needs to go. Is there any cheap scopes that people are very happy with? and by cheap I mean $100, preferably less......I was very happy with the Bushnell for what it was....

I can tell you when it comes to rifle scopes more often than not you will get what you pay for. Many times a cheap scope will be a recipe for disaster especially on guns that recoil hard or if they get exposed to rain.

A 22 rifle does not have the recoil to shake a scope apart to so one can get away with a lower cost scope although the lens systems on those scope are not optically the greatest. Also with a 22 you will want a scope that the parallax is fixed for shorter rages that a 22 is normally used or one that has an adjustable objective to correct any parallax.

All that being said there are some scopes that are modestly priced that have pretty good reputations for 22 rifles, The BSA sweet 22 is a pretty good choice that has a decent track record and will set you back 60 or 70 dollars. Ebay is a good place to pick one up.

Al

I also have been in the market for a cheap scope for my daughters 40th anniversary 10/.22 that's still new in the box. Bought it when she was 6 months old. At 13 she now can handle it. Hunter safety course coming up soon so I'd like to get her shooting it. I've also had a cheap Bushnell scope on my 10/.22 for 30 plus years. It's held up well. Been perusing Cabela's website lately and finding a few options from $50-$100. May have to order one as Cheektovegas location inventory down a bunch. Rumor has it Bass Pro taking it over but I have no concrete evidence of that.

The Nikon Buckmaster can be bought for under $100 and would be perfect for your 10-22.

Also the Nikon BDC for a bit more was great on my .22 Henry lever action. But I just went the other way with my Henry after a long time with the Nikon mounted I recently took it off and fine tuned the iron sights. I now feel a bit more challenged, my daughters do too and it's way lighter and less of a worry in the wild.

My old Bushnell that if I remember right I paid $39.00 for about 20 years ago has finally crapped out. I have had it mounted on my Ruger 10/22 for at least 20 years and was always very happy with it for what it was. I use my .22 mostly for plinking. I used to hunt squirrels with it many years ago and might again if I ever find the time. Anyway the scope has lost focus so it needs to go. Is there any cheap scopes that people are very happy with? and by cheap I mean $100, preferably less......I was very happy with the Bushnell for what it was....

CP and UTG makes some scopes in your price range that's packed with features such as adjustable objective/parallax correction/focus as well as lighted reticle in multiple colors. Most of the time you can get them in 3-9, 4-16, 40-56mm objective etc.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

CP and UTG makes some scopes in your price range that's packed with features such as adjustable objective/parallax correction/focus as well as lighted reticle in multiple colors. Most of the time you can get them in 3-9, 4-16, 40-56mm objective etc.

3x9 , 4x16 a little big for a .22 ?

Two personal rules based on other family member's experience: Never co-sign a loan; and never buy a used scope.

Sorry, Pygmy. I'm sure it is a great scope, just experience talking.

I wouldn't purchase a used scope off Ebay but I will be very surprised if a forum member sells something to another forum member (especially one like Pygmy who's name I see all the time) that doesn't function...And even if I do get it and it doesn't function I will assume it did when it was removed from his rifle how every long ago that was and he wasn't aware of it.....

• Like 8

Depending on the scope I would not have any qualms about buying used as long as you do your homework. I have in fact saved quite a bit of money doing so. I just purchased a 2.5X Leupold compact that can not be told from new and saved $70 plus tax. Really no risk with Leupolds as they have a lifetime guarantee. Just yesterday mounted an old Redfield 3200 20X target scope on my Model Win 52 target gun, that scope I picked up years ago for a song when I bought the 52. It still works fine and today and it is worth 7 or 8 times what I paid for it.

That being said I would probably stay away from a lot of the off brand imported cheap stuff that is used.

Al

Edited by airedale

I wouldn't purchase a used scope off Ebay but I will be very surprised if a forum member sells something to another forum member (especially one like Pygmy who's name I see all the time) that doesn't function...And even if I do get it and it doesn't function I will assume it did when it was removed from his rifle how every long ago that was and he wasn't aware of it.....

I think you'll do alright trusting Pygmy with a scope sale.

Trusting him to bring your daughter home on time would be an entirely different story.

Damaged goods at that point if you know what I mean,lol

• Like 1

I think you'll do alright trusting Pygmy with a scope sale.

Trusting him to bring your daughter home on time would be an entirely different story.

Pygmy would never put his hands on someone's daughter. Your wife on the other hand....

• Like 1

I think you'll do alright trusting Pygmy with a scope sale.

Trusting him to bring your daughter home on time would be an entirely different story.

By "damaged goods" do you mean Pygmy?  Since he'll so excited he'll probably have a heart attack just from the thought of it.

• Like 1

I can tell you when it comes to rifle scopes more often than not you will get what you pay for. Many times a cheap scope will be a recipe for disaster especially on guns that recoil hard or if they get exposed to rain.

A 22 rifle does not have the recoil to shake a scope apart to so one can get away with a lower cost scope although the lens systems on those scope are not optically the greatest. Also with a 22 you will want a scope that the parallax is fixed for shorter rages that a 22 is normally used or one that has an adjustable objective to correct any parallax.

All that being said there are some scopes that are modestly priced that have pretty good reputations for 22 rifles, The BSA sweet 22 is a pretty good choice that has a decent track record and will set you back 60 or 70 dollars. Ebay is a good place to pick one up.

Al

Thanks, airedale.

I've been in the same boat, and I think I'll pick up the BSA Sweet 22 tonight...