Speeders beware

ants

My 18 year old son got two speeding tickets, 3 months apart. (He's a good kid, but a total knuckle head at times). First fine was $273, second was $283. Just got a letter from DMV stating that if he didn't pay the state an additional $600, his license is suspended. My kid is in college and takes home maybe $150 a week from his part time job, so guess who wrote the checks???? He should be squared up with me in like 10 years….

Don't speed..

My 18 year old son got two speeding tickets, 3 months apart. (He's a good kid, but a total knuckle head at times). First fine was $273, second was $283. Just got a letter from DMV stating that if he didn't pay the state an additional $600, his license is suspended. My kid is in college and takes home maybe $150 a week from his part time job, so guess who wrote the checks???? He should be squared up with me in like 10 years….

Don't speed..

The "surcharge" from the state kicks in after so many points.

I got a ticket for 73 in a 55 (testing the tune on my '06 Charger Daytona) & that was enough all by itself to get the surcharge of $200. The state will usually allow$100 payments once a year until the amount is paid, but I'm not sure about a $600 charge. He must have been speeding way over the limit ti get that high of a surcharge..

Edited by wildcat junkie

Don't speed..

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until your insurance company picks up on it. 

• Like 6

Every 2 points, the state wants its cut. Total of 6 points and they want the full $500-600.

If caught speeding 20 over the limit, automatic 6 points and you can bet on the state surcharge coming. Add that to the insurance hike, and you're well on your way to over a grand for getting there 5 minutes faster.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The "surcharge" from the state kicks in after so many points.

I got a ticket for 73 in a 55 (testing the tune on my '06 Charger Daytona) & that was enough all by itself to get the surcharge of $200. The state will usually allow$100 payments once a year until the amount is paid, but I'm not sure about a $600 charge. He must have been speeding way over the limit ti get that high of a surcharge..

88 in a 65 and 85 in a 65. The tickets had surcharges attached to them. $90 for each ticket, but the 600 is extra from DMV. They call it DRA "Driver Responsibility Assessment." An extra pound or ten of flesh for the state I guess…. The pen I keep in my checkbook is out of ink!!!   LOL!!!

• Like 1

88 in a 65 and 85 in a 65. The tickets had surcharges attached to them. $90 for each ticket, but the 600 is extra from DMV. They call it DRA "Driver Responsibility Assessment." An extra pound or ten of flesh for the state I guess…. The pen I keep in my checkbook is out of ink!!! LOL!!!

Looks like he's going to get suspended anyway.

Hopefully he's able to fight off at least one of those tickets. If not, that's 12 points, which is suspension.

I've had speeding tickets get reduced to parking tickets when cited upstate. Plea bargain your way down.

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

I've had speeding tickets get reduced to parking tickets when cited upstate. Plea bargain your way down.

yeah, we have a new court in Suffolk County that pleas everything down......it's a big money grab, but usually walk away with pleading out to a non mover, no points and no insurance rate increases.

2x speeding in a work zone around here and you're screwed

It can also be double cost, if the zone has a sign saying "Fined doubled". We put those signs out sometimes. Often, a trooper will tuck himself right into our zone & hide behind a truck, then wait for a real a$$h*le to fly by. They've been slamming people for not moving over, too. It's amazing how close cars will get to us, but as soon as they see a cop in the zone, they're scrambling to move over.

Edited by Skillet

Looks like he's going to get suspended anyway.

Hopefully he's able to fight off at least one of those tickets. If not, that's 12 points, which is suspension.

No.. They sent a form saying that one ticket got him 6 points ant the other got him 4. But one more and he is done……You're right ...11 or 12 points and bye bye license for a year..

This is all Greek to me...

I'm the old fart who ALWAYS has someone right on my rear bumper..

Never had a speeding ticket in my life...Nor any other traffic ticket, except for one for an unsafe tire when I was 18...

• Like 2

600 is extra from DMV. They call it DRA "Driver Responsibility Assessment." An extra pound or ten of flesh for the state I guess…. The pen I keep in my checkbook is out of ink!!!   LOL!!!

That's what I was referring to. It's been so long I forgot the term.

No.. They sent a form saying that one ticket got him 6 points ant the other got him 4. But one more and he is done……You're right ...11 or 12 points and bye bye license for a year..

He's probably right under the 20/21 mph one for the 85 in a 65 then. Pretty lucky. Suspension is another hike in insurance on top of the two speeding tickets. He'll likely get dropped if he was suspended.

AAA offers defensive driving course that should help with points. I think a guy from work use to go to MCC for him every few years to save on car insurance

There's a defensive drivers course discount for insurance purposes, yes. It also reduces points on your license in case you are in danger of getting suspended. But one doesn't have to do with the other. Insurance companies don't slam you based on points, they do it based on the violation and "risk" of causing injury and property damage.

For example, running a stop sign or failure to yield will get you 2 points, but most insurance companies will ignore your first infraction.