Any Rimfire Afectionados?

airedale

Back in the late seventies I worked part time in a good friend's sporting goods store and he decided to stock a couple of higher end 22 rifles. One was a Weatherby autoloader and the other was a Remington 541 S bolt action sporter. Up to that time I had been shooting a Browning BL 22 lever gun and was very happy with it but that Remington caught my eye. It was a full sized adult rifle based on the 541 target rifle action finished off in the same fashion as Remington's BDL bolt action centerfires and priced about the same. I remember when telling customers the price of the rifle the sticker shock that came over them with usually words going along the lines, "That Much For A 22" !! What they were doing was basing price to caliber and not to the quality of the gun. Modestly priced 22 rifles were all over the place so when they saw one twice or three times the price of what they were accustomed to they about keeled over.

Back then I was doing quite a bit of Bullseye pistol shooting and going through hundreds of rounds every month. I found out quickly that if I was going to be serious about it that I needed a top quality pistol. So that was the view I took with the Remington 541 S, of the rifles I owned at the time my 22 was the one I shot the most. I took the view that the rifle I actually used and shot the most should be one of my best ones. I love it when I can talk myself into a new gun and that is just what happened with the 541 S LOL. That rifle is one of the best purchases I ever made and the most shot rifle I have ever owned. I still have it today and shoot it frequently and she still drives tacks, a good many Squirrels ended up in the slow cooker because of that one.

That Remington started a rimfire trend with me that continues to this day not only with the 22 LR but with several other rimfires like the 17 HMR and the 22 Mag. 

I am doing a sales pitch right now on myself to acquire one of those Ruger 77/17 WSMs, not sold yet but close.

Now if the hoarders will quit hogging ammo so availability and prices get back where they belong!

Anyone here been bit by the Rimfire Bug?

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Well, I think this counts.  I high school I shot Winchester 52's.

I recently bought a Winchester 52D target 22 w/o sights and am looking for a Redfield International set, Mark 8 if I can get them, can't wait to shoot it.

I too got into high end 22's, have a Winchester 1885 low wall high grade w/gold rabbits and squirrels that I take out occasionally.

But the real Holy Grail of the mid 70's was the Kleingunther K22, that was written up as the most accurate sporter available at the time.

The Winchester 1885's in 17 wsm also interest me, love the cartridge but the Savage I had was disappointing.

• Like 1

I inherited (2) .22's from my grandfather when I was a kid back in the early eighties. One was a cheaper, relatively new Winchester lever action of the type that the trigger moved down with the lever to avoid the "finger pinch" that is common with the classic "model 94" types. I could get shots off fast with that gun, but the trigger pull was rough and the accuracy not especially good. I managed to kill a few squirrels with it, but only at short ranges (under 30 yards or so), and missed plenty. Multiple shots were often required.

The other gun was an older Remington 510-P Targetmaster, single-shot, bolt-action. That was the one my grandpa used for killing steers and pigs and it had no rear sight. I machined a round, grooved rear sight and bracket for it using a couple old bolts, some steel plate, a file and a drill press and ended up with a little more accuracy, extending my effective range to about 40 yards. Later I mounted a 4x scope on that and it was good for about 50 yards. That gun really forced me to concentrate on making that first shot count, because that is all it held. It was my go-to squirrel gun until about 15 years ago, when the accuracy went away. I tried multiple cleaning, tightening the scope, etc, to no avail.

I found a sweet deal on a new Ruger 10/22 carbine with a 4X scope about that time and that is what I continue to use for squirrels and rabbits today. It is a real tack-driver, as good or better than that old Remington bolt-action ever was. I have even killed coyotes with it, including a large male that was out about 100 yards. I am glad to have had the experience with the Remington single-shot, as one shot is all it usually takes me with the 10-shot Ruger semi-auto. The current ammo scarcity does not hurt me as bad thanks to that. I confine most of my target-practice to my daughter's bb-guns these days, hoping to get a squirrel or rabbit for the pot with all of my available .22 ammo.

• Like 1

Well, I think this counts.  I high school I shot Winchester 52's.

I recently bought a Winchester 52D target 22 w/o sights and am looking for a Redfield International set, Mark 8 if I can get them, can't wait to shoot it.

I too got into high end 22's, have a Winchester 1885 low wall high grade w/gold rabbits and squirrels that I take out occasionally.

But the real Holy Grail of the mid 70's was the Kleingunther K22, that was written up as the most accurate sporter available at the time.

The Winchester 1885's in 17 wsm also interest me, love the cartridge but the Savage I had was disappointing.

We have some similar tastes Jaeger.

The Winchester 52s are all time classics, I have a B that I just got done mounting an old Redfield 20X 3200 on.

I also have an 1885 low wall standard model and just put a better scope on it.

When the weather turns nice I will seeing how those two shoot with their new eyes.

WOLC 123 your Ruger 10/22 has to be one of the all time great rimfire rifles ever produced, keep after those rabbits and squirrels.

Al

Edited by airedale

I've been liking my rimfires a lot more over the last few years. Inexpensive to shoot, accurate and good for certain hunting situations.

I got bit my the .17 wsm bug too, and held out for one of the later serial numbered "post-problem" rifles after they were introduced.

Fun for the grandkids to shoot with me without recoil scaring them off.

I've got it covered with a couple of 22's, a 17 HMR, and a 17 WSM. Currently  looking for a .22 mag to replace the one stolen from my truck many years ago.

• Like 1

I don't have an expensive rimfire but I love shooting them. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I shoot more than anything else. I use my S&W semi auto .22 more than any other of my pistols. I have my grandfathers old browning .22 (I don't know the model but it splits in half) that I use to use a lot more often until I went to a few gun shows and saw what it was worth. Now it just sits in the safe which I guess is stupid because I will never sell it....

• Like 1

Here is the one that afflicted me with the Rimfire disease. The Remington 541S was based on their target model called the 541X. Some of you folks may remember Remington's economy rifle the 788, it had rear locking lugs and an extremely fast lock time that resulted in accuracy that many times surpassed their flagship model 700. The 541S is basically a mini 788 action with the same type of rear locking lugs and a very fast lock time. 

Al

003_zpsapxwpkaw.jpg

• Like 6

So break it down for us

...this obviously isn't a stock rim fire....what's the stock, action barrel??

On a side note....I love the stock!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Several stock rifles can be purchased with that Evolution stock....

Looks like a Savage in the pic. 

• Like 1

Here is the one that afflicted me with the Rimfire disease. The Remington 541S was based on their target model called the 541X. Some of you folks may remember Remington's economy rifle the 788, it had rear locking lugs and an extremely fast lock time that resulted in accuracy that many times surpassed their flagship model 700. The 541S is basically a mini 788 action with the same type of rear locking lugs and a very fast lock time. 

Al

003_zpsapxwpkaw.jpg

I'm not big on rimfires. But this is one nice looking rifle. That would have gotten me hooked as well.

Several stock rifles can be purchased with that Evolution stock....

Looks like a Savage in the pic.

Well I'll be....I didn't realize savage teamed up with Boyd's...always thought you needed to grab that aftermarket.

Anyhow...sweet looking .22lr

Well I'll be....I didn't realize savage teamed up with Boyd's...always thought you needed to grab that aftermarket.

Anyhow...sweet looking .22lr

CZ has both the 452 and newer 455 in there also, I thought someone else did too IIRC.

Here is a blast from the past the revolutionary Remington Nylon 66, in this case the magazine fed version the Nylon 77. Nothing fancy here, these were one of the first factory firearms to use synthetic materials (NYLON) in large percentage for it's construction. This 77 is my Coon hunting rifle that I carried many nights and I can say this is one tough rifle that has seen some hard going but always came through when the time came. It actually still looks pretty good considering the beating it has taken. I liked the magazine fed model because it was quick to load when needed as I do not like carrying it loaded being dragged by my dogs and stumbling around through the woods at night.

Very lightweight, good reliability, hunting accuracy and an abuse taker for sure the ultimate Coon hunter's gun.

Al

002_zpsatogovtr.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Sub-MOA. Too bad I can't reload for rimfire

I may start tweaking torque on the action screws when I get bored.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

But you can get one of those rimfire headspace guages that measure the thickness of the rims so you can sort ammo, if you haven't already.

My low end 22 is a Ruger 77/22 wood stocked w/o sights and a bushnel banner 3-9x.  With that and CCI Green tag, it'll pin dimes at 50 every time.  

Some yahoo's were making fun of me and that gun at the range when I was a kid.  They were blasting away with their AR's they were scared of and hitting nothing.  Range Master got behind me on my spotting scope.  Guess those guys shut up after getting tired of the RM calling out "10 Ring!".

When ya get a good gun/ammo combo, Keep It!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use to own a Remington .22 single shot many years ago, don't remember the model #? Have long since sold that gun. The rim fire gun I now own is a CZ - 452 American in the .17HMR caliber. This one is a tack driver right out to 75 yards. After that, the wind plays havoc with that little .17 gr pill. I wish I could shoot that gun more, but have been quite busy of late working on other projects.

• Like 1

The CZ 452 is a fine rifle, Paulie..My buddy ( Bill Arnold) has one in .17 HMR and I have borrowed it a few times for squirrel hunting. It is indeed a tack driver.

I currently own a New England Arms single shot in .17 Mach II. I have a Leupold scope on it, so the scope is worth about three times as much as the rifle !  It is not as accurate as my buddy's CZ, but it groups plenty good enough for squirrels at any reasonable range, and the little .17 Mach II cartridge is not as destructive as the HMR if I happen to get a body shot.

I also have a Ruger 10/22  in  .22 LR that I use often for squirrels. I bought it new in 1973.  I have a Burris Compact 4X scope on it, and while it is not a one holer, it shoots  " minute of squirrel head"  out to 50 yards or so with Remington Standard Velocity Target ammo.

• Like 1

I like the 17 Mach 2 a lot Dan for the same reasons, I believe it is the ultimate Squirrel hunting cartridge. I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head but if I found one that struck my fancy in the 17 Mach 2 chambering I would be sorely tempted.

Al

• Like 1

Yeah, Al,  the Mach 2 shoots plenty flat and accurate enough for squirrels out to 100+ yards.

One  negative issue might be future ammo availability.  I have around 1000 rounds for mine and since it is a single shot and I use it exclusively for hunting rather than plinking, I consider that a lifetime supply.  At least for what's left of MY life...LOL...