Anterless Only!!

G-Man

The crossbow is not the savior to controlling deer numbers. That is a very narrow expectation for an implement.

I agree with this. The crossbow, in range and capability, is very similar to a modern compound bow. It's not a miracle weapon.. A crossbow will get a few more hunters out in the woods, that would not have been otherwise. But the overall deer take numbers will increase very little.

I agree with this. The crossbow, in range and capability, is very similar to a modern compound bow. It's not a miracle weapon.. A crossbow will get a few more hunters out in the woods, that would not have been otherwise. But the overall deer take numbers will increase very little.

Very similar? Where do I start? Let's begin with the fact that there's a reason myself and others promote its use for elderly and disabled. That in and of itself should tell you enough about its differences.

Very similar? Where do I start? Let's begin with the fact that there's a reason myself and others promote its use for elderly and disabled. That in and of itself should tell you enough about its differences.

What I meant was, "in range and capability" of the bolt or arrow. Not in ease of use. It's getting very hard for me to draw and hold my compound bow. But I can shoot my crossbow easily. But the "performance of the projectile" is similar.

Settle down there big guy. I'm with ya on the crossbow issue.

• Like 1

Wisconsin's CDAC sounds a lot like our Citizen Task Forces that establish harvest targets for our WMU, with the same anti-deer biases and business financial interests.

But anyway, If you want to severely cut deer numbers, there is little argument that "doe only" harvests are the way to do it providing you make a real honest effort and use the proper season where such an effort has a chance of working. Not the silly pretend-effort that our DEC tried with archers only.

Seriously, it makes a lot of sense to remove the breeding segment of the deer producers if the object is to eliminate as many deer as possible. On the other hand, the discussions about what numbers the deer are currently at and what those numbers should be become a much more serious and intense discussion when such slash and burn tactics of population cutting are used.

• Like 2

I used a crossbow successfully this past season.....I didn't find it awkward, cumbersome, unwieldy, heavy or anything else. I saw the deer coming from 100 yards away, sat in my treestand, rested it on my knee, took the safety off, followed it in the scope and when it stepped into the shooting lane I put the crosshairs on it and simply pulled the trigger.....pretty simple. I don't get when people argue the difficulties associated with them.

• Like 1

Yea but what is disabled......my dad can't draw a compound but works 50 a week and isn't disabled....there's not reason not to include it as the stats on them are almost identical....just pure greed not wanting others out in the woods...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So what's the story now. Is this lack of taking does something that has just recently happened? Why is it now that everybody only wants to take bucks? Is this a generational thing, or a TV inspired phenomenon? It's all a mystery to me, because if I have a permit in my pocket, unless it's a fawn, no antlerless deer gets safe passage from me. Also, the hunters that I know feel the same way. So who are all these buck only hunters? Where is that idea coming from?

Yea but what is disabled......my dad can't draw a compound but works 50 a week and isn't disabled....there's not reason not to include it as the stats on them are almost identical....just pure greed not wanting others out in the woods...

Disabled meaning a simple doctors note. It's not greed, it's the enjoyment of a season where the clown hunters are few and far between.

Disabled meaning a simple doctors note. It's not greed, it's the enjoyment of a season where the clown hunters are few and far between.

What make xbow hunters clowns....come on just like your political views you can't judge all from 1.....your afraid someone will shoot the buck you been watching

• Like 1

I will say I've seen my share of clown hunters during bow season, they will be out there no matter what the season is.....I get the fear of guys who never bow hunted before running out and getting a crossbow and stomping through the woods like the're hunting with a gun and lobbing shots beyond the effective range, I have that same concern, didn't see it last year and hope I never do...time will tell.

I will say I've seen my share of clown hunters during bow season, they will be out there no matter what the season is.....I get the fear of guys who never bow hunted before running out and getting a crossbow and stomping through the woods like the're hunting with a gun and lobbing shots beyond the effective range, I have that same concern, didn't see it last year and hope I never do...time will tell.

Yep and I see that during every season with every weapon other than black powder....rifle guys banging off shots way to far to see what's behind target shotty guys empty their guns bow guys loosing deer bc of poor shots....all seasons have :those" guys not a reason to say can't enjoy xbow for the rest of us...

Let them for the first year or maybe two.  Approaching crossbow hunting like gun hunting will guarantee one thing. A great market in a year or two for barely  used, like new crossbows for about 50 cents on the dollar. lol

• Like 4

Am I the only rational human that lives in NY?

More than 80% of ALL deer harvested are by a gun.  More than 90% of all hunters in NY hunt the gun season.

I am SO confused why "deer management" became a bow issue and why they are trying to cram other devises into bow season to control doe?  Put population objectives in the hands of gun hunters.  Hell, make the week before "opening day" doe only for a week.  I don't care, but for the love of all things on this planet, lets agree that you can't take the minority and control the majority (even though our liberal state is ineffectively run that way)

Can everyone just agree from a pure logical standpoint (remove your preference to your hunting style) that having gun hunters "control" deer numbers is the most rational possibility?  You couldn't possibly argue that.

I just don't understand why this has been made so difficult and so controversial (that is a rhetorical statement, because I do understand why bow hunters are being punished, but its not worth debating any more).

• Like 1

More than 80% of ALL deer harvested are by a gun.  More than 90% of all hunters in NY hunt the gun season.

I am SO confused why "deer management" became a bow issue and why they are trying to cram other devises into bow season to control doe?  Put population objectives in the hands of gun hunters.  Hell, make the week before "opening day" doe only for a week.  I don't care, but for the love of all things on this planet, lets agree that you can't take the minority and control the majority (even though our liberal state is ineffectively run that way)

Can everyone just agree from a pure logical standpoint (remove your preference to your hunting style) that having gun hunters "control" deer numbers is the most rational possibility?  You couldn't possibly argue that.

I just don't understand why this has been made so difficult and so controversial (that is a rhetorical statement, because I do understand why bow hunters are being punished, but its not worth debating any more).

can't argue the fact that guns would be the most effective, I think the concern is of guns slowly entering the earlier seasons that have been designated bow only for years in order to accomplish that.....could be wrong.

• Like 1

I have heard a lot on here, myself included, saying the same thing when they did the 2 week in archery. 

• Like 1

can't argue the fact that guns would be the most effective, I think the concern is of guns slowly entering the earlier seasons that have been designated bow only for years in order to accomplish that.....could be wrong.

Then lets take the first week of gun to antlerless only in the problem areas. It only makes the most sense the get the "problem" dealt with as quickly as possible. I really don't care where they choose to do it. I am not a fan of decreasing a hunter opportunity, that is why I was for a early September 9 day (two weekends). But I understand how many my have an issue dealing with the meat in warm temps. So then how about in early January? I firmly believe that the best was to encourage participation in the reduction they want is to EXPAND opportunity, not take it away. 

• Like 1

Then lets take the first week of gun to antlerless only in the problem areas. It only makes the most sense the get the "problem" dealt with as quickly as possible. I really don't care where they choose to do it. I am not a fan of decreasing a hunter opportunity, that is why I was for a early September 9 day (two weekends). But I understand how many my have an issue dealing with the meat in warm temps. So then how about in early January? I firmly believe that the best was to encourage participation in the reduction they want is to EXPAND opportunity, not take it away. 

we have the month of January on Long Island, I enjoy it. I think the problem with that would be lack of participation.....the majority of casual hunters are done by that point, so probably little impact overall.

Again, not to turn this thread into another "DEC Mismanagement" debate....there are enough of those.....

Why do they constantly chose the most difficult path (another rhetorical question)?

Why bow hunters?

Why then cram another method into bow season?

Why create a new season for guns before bow?

The list of why's go on and on.

I could spent 3 minutes and probably one $5 foot-long at subway and said:  Ok, 500,000 gun hunters in NYS, go shoot a doe, during gun season, please....and thank you (which is basically what they said to bow hunters this past season).

They can fabricate as many new ideas as they want, but if they keep targeting the minority of hunters, they will continue to get nowhere. 

Legalize the use of throwing spears, dart guns, snare traps, dead falls, spike pits, hmmm....what else could we ask bow hunters to do.....let me think........At the end of the day, we are still just 10% of the hunters.

This is not a bow verse gun debate for me.  I am not choosing sides or making it political.  I am not saying which I prefer or going down the path of some sort of anti-bow hunting agenda.  I am specifically saying from a PURE LOGICAL standpoint, gun hunters could be 10 times more effective than anything else they chose.....DURING an existing gun season even so they don't have to spend money changing legislation for new seasons.

Someone start sending in nominations for me for NYS office and I will funnel all the money i save back to the licensed hunters in this state.  I could save us millions with the use of common goddamn sense.

The real reason the doe only regulation in specific WMUs failed was that hunters did not want to be subjected to the temptation of a big buck being within range and only having a legal doe tag! This will follow true if this restriction were continued no matter what weapons are allowed in a doe only restriction, bows, Xbows, MLs, rifles, shotguns, RPGs....

Granted, if the proposed Xbow legislation is passed it probably will put more hunters in the woods during bow season, at least in the SZ. In NO way is the Xbow a cure-all for the over population issue.

• Like 1

The real reason the doe only regulation in specific WMUs failed was that hunters did not want to be subjected to the temptation of a big buck being within range and only having a legal doe tag! This will follow true if this restriction were continued no matter what weapons are allowed in a doe only restriction, bows, Xbows, MLs, rifles, shotguns, RPGs....

That is why I think the BEST solution is to offer a special season in those areas with a gun that is outside of what is currently available. Early or late I would definitely take part in it, This year during the "mandate" I opted to hunt elsewhere. 

Thus the new legislation making it require a bow course, no more running out buying one aND signing a piece of paper.

Fact is we need more participation to increase doe harvest. Or the state will follow this example and make doe only.. they half assed it last year.. personally I'd like to see a 2 doe harvested to get a buck tag in problem areas. Problem with that is dec doesn't have staff or funding to check doe taken..

Edited by G-Man