Old Cemetery

Nomad

Near where I hunt is an old cemetery , I stopped by after shed hunting last week. The date on this headstone reads 5/18/28 that's 1,828 btw and there are folks buried there that were born in the late 1,700s ! This person happened to live one day.

Just made me stop and think I've hunted there almost 30 years and there are people buried there who were born just a few years after the birth of our nation !

post-253-0-55312500-1460260453_thumb.jpe

• Like 9

Used to do a bunch of geo caching. Took us to a lot of old cemeteries. Sad to see so many birth to deaths due to polio and other untreatable diseases at the time.Whole families wiped out. We've come across Pioneer cemeteries unkept and in the middle of the woods. Actually charted an American chestnut tree we notified the society about. There's a war of 1812 cemetery very near by that's quite interesting.

While in Boston a few weeks ago there is a headstone the redcoats used as target practice. Crazy old cemeteries there.

• Like 2

That is pretty cool. We have one like that in Northport. It's on land that was donated to the town. You wouldn't know the cemetery is in there. Its off one of the trails and the town put a plaque on a large rock. It lists all the early settlers names youngest to oldest. Most headstones fell over or were vandalized. It's a neat place with a giant oak tree right in the middle.

• Like 1

A long time ago in the early 60's my friend and his younger brother and sister we were about 12 or 13 at the time Anyway, we were late coming home from the center of Provincetown up in cape cod and took a shortcut through the cemetery . We were running through it when I fell into a grave that was there up to my hips ,the gravestone fell on top of me and  I started screaming and my buddy came back with his and my parents who just stood there laughing while tears of terror streamed down my face finally ,my Dad pulled me out and needless to say I gave a wide berth to that cemetery for the rest of my life .The dirt was soft from a recent rain and was the probable cause of my falling in so deep.... It's something I won't  ever forget .....

• Like 4

Some rough times back in those years for sure. 

The old cemetery at the north end of Canadice Lake has some stories to tell also.  I've spent some time reading the headstones there and my son got quite an education in life/death too one year while spring turkey hunting. 

The birds weren't talking but the headstones were.................................. 

• Like 2

I have a war of 1812 cemetery nearby, it's filled with oliver Hazzard perry's men. This is as far as they got the bodies before they started to putrify, so a cemetery was made. Make me think how many family's were waiting for their loved ones remains to come home one last time and never did..

• Like 2

Have a similar 1700's-1800's cemetery on my block on a dead end seasonal road that's been cut off to the public.

Plenty of history, myths, and mystery, behind it that has turned it into a bit of a "tourist attraction" to paranormal groups and young disrespectful punks.

I spend a lot of time in the immediate area hunting, hiking, looking for antlers, and photography stuff due to its convenient location and pretty setting.

It's sad to see a sacred resting place like this turn into a hang out spot for the next "stars of you tube" but that's exactly what it has become. That's just part of the reason I wont post my pics from here on the internet any longer as it sees enough traffic from non-local gangstas and ghost hunters.

In all my years hanging out in the woods surrounding this place, I've yet to see or hear a "Hellhound" with glowing red eyes (lol), but I'm hoping to get one on trailcam soon.

http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com/goodleburg-cemetery.html

• Like 4

There are two 1800s vintage cemeteries on the property where I grew up.

One is along the road and is relatively well kept, meaning that someone mows it a couple of times per year. There is a Civil War casualty there, and I got permission from the town supervisor to place markers there for my Mom and Dad there.

The other one is more obscure, right in the woods and not kept up at all..One stone that is still legible is that of a 19 year old married woman who died in 1832, probably in childbirth. It's one of my favorite places.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

Keep in mind the tens of thousands of unmarked or registered graves from the times when relatives, etc. were just buried in small local cemeteries, or with wooden / or no headstones. Many newborns, infants were buried with very little ceremony.