Why Tesla’s Model 3 Could Be the New Model T

EspressoBuzz

Funny you mention Tesla Never heard of them before until today. There was one in my work parking lot earlier. Model S. I looked it up and starting price was 70K Ha, both rear brakelights had a boat load of moisture in there.

My dad when little said the big hill on 20A past Byrncliff golf course (if you're familiar with that area) the Model T's had to drive up in reverse as not enough umph to get up it in forward.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

A charging station has been at Transit & Main for a while.  Very nondescript looking thing; in the parking lot behind the Key Bank and in front of  Barnes & Noble etc.

I've seen a car or two plugged in but certainly not mine or anybody I know........... :)

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus/location/supercharger/buffalosupercharger

Seems to me that this electric car thing will never be a huge deal. After all, various state/fed governments say that mining/using coal is bad and polluting...Fracking is bad...too much pollution...etc.

I believe you have to mine the raw materials for the batteries needed for the manufacture of the batts for cars...I thought mining was bad for the environment....Never mind, Osama....I mean Obama and epa say it's OK....I guess....I'm confused...pass the wine..

• Like 1

A charging station has been at Transit & Main for a while.  Very nondescript looking thing; in the parking lot behind the Key Bank and in front of  Barnes & Noble etc.

I've seen a car or two plugged in but certainly not mine or anybody I know........... :)

https://www.teslamotors.com/findus/location/supercharger/buffalosupercharger

I haven't see any on Long Island, but I haven't been looking. Any idea how much you pay for the electric? I am assuming at this point the charge connector is a already universal standard?

Seems to me that this electric car thing will never be a huge deal...

I love the smell of exhaust in the morning.  It smells like...victory.

Yeah, I'm real fond of my straight six but the internal combustion engine is going away.   The future is every wheel having it's own motor.

Everything depends on battery tech, so the timeline is not set in stone.  It's still more economical to build gasoline powered vehicles but the curve is swinging towards electric.  The batteries have to be made smaller and cheaper.   That's just a matter of throwing more eggheads at the problem - look what happened to radios, to phones, to cameras - it's all super tiny just like batteries and electric motors will be in a decade or two.

If I had a spare 128K, I'd go buy the premium Tesla first thing out.  Two point eight seconds, zero to sixty.   691hp.  And I wouldn't look like a 50 year-old retard in a Porsche.   This is regular conservative looking sedan.  A four-door.

That 35K Tesla model doesn't seem like a great deal with a 215 mile range - at that price anyway.  I bet at 19K, that kind of vehicle would be a game changer.   And the price will fall eventually.

I'm more interested in the 3 wheeled, front wheel drive, 2 passenger Elio that is expected to sell for $7000 and will get 84 miles per gallon.

It will have a custom 3 cylinder engine producing 90 HP and capable of doing 100 MPH.

I'll keep the 4x4 for hunting and work, but use the Elio for everything else.  It's like a motorcycle with a roof, heat and A/C.  No helmet needed and registers and insures at motorcycle rates.  Seems like a good idea.

Just Google Elio for more info.

• Like 2

I haven't see any on Long Island, but I haven't been looking. Any idea how much you pay for the electric? I am assuming at this point the charge connector is a already universal standard?

I've seen a few....can't remember exactly where, thinking I saw them at some train stations.

I was told the charging stations are free for the Tesla owner.  I'm sure it's all figured into the cost.

I see it as a novelty, because in the long run, you don't save any money considering the initial cost, electric cost, insurance and upkeep.  Plus coal fired power plants still add to your carbon footprint generating the electric you need to recharge it.  Even a Prius is not going to save it's owner any money.

• Like 1

Buddies father has had one for a couple years. Drives it back and forth to Florida. Goes like 259-300 miles and then there's a charging station, by the time he finishes lunch it's charged up again. It's pretty bad ass ~ faster than most sports cars of the line. Think of cell phones ten years ago and think where electric cars will be ten years from now, they are here to stay

Edited by Jason118
  • Like 2

There's is more than enough Lithium on the planet to create enough batteries to switch entirely to electric or hybrid cars many times over. the issue is getting enough raw material long term to pruduce batteries on such a mass scale quickly. The top three countries it's found in are very much third world trying to supply first world mass production. It's there ~ just advancement in getting it out of the ground hasn't caught up with demand. if everyone went out and bought a electric car tomorrow, then there would be a issue ~ but that's not going to happen

Buddies father has had one for a couple years. Drives it back and forth to Florida. Goes like 259-300 miles and then there's a charging station, by the time he finishes lunch it's charged up again. It's pretty bad ass ~ faster than most sports cars of the line. Think of cell phones ten years ago and think where electric cars will be ten years from now, they are here to stay

259-300 miles and then charges while eating lunch. From Florida to NY Approximately 1200 miles to Florida equals a lot of lunches.
  • Like 2

Will never be the model t .. batteries are highly toxic, no range, and cost is what to high, can't work on them yourself.

Honestly if a car is to become the model t of today it will probably be the elio. 84 mpg highway 56 city. Cost 6800.00

They can and do make effecient gas motors.

As for electric, transformers are still causing problems today with pcbs, and the National grid is outdated and fragile. Electric may be fine for cities bit will not be the answer.. perhaps we should go to solar powered steam..

• Like 1

I would never buy a tesla but a made a big chunk of change thanks to them.

Summer of 2011, I was the Westchester Mall killing time while my wife (gf at the time) was shopping. I saw this store called Tesla and it had cars in it. I walked in and they told me all about these cars and charging stations, etc. I had never heard of Tesla before, but it all sounded very interesting and I felt it would grow in popularity as I watched person after person in the mall sign up to buy one. I asked the girl talking to me if they were publicly traded. She said yes. I got clearance from work to buy their stock, bought $10K worth when it was under $25/share. I got out about 3 years later when it was it was around $270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So I took your advice and googled it up! and looky what I found!

The ‘electric cars aren’t green’ myth debunked

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green

Shades of Green: Electric Cars’ Carbon Emissions Around the Globe

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-car-emissions

My comment was aimed towards the manufacturing process and not the operation side. Lithium is mined in China and creates an enormous amount of pollutants into the environment do to the refining process.

• Like 1

No one is going to stop mining lithium even if we stopped buying all electric cars today. Lithium is going to continue being mined no matter what because you like your cell phone, your drone, your trail cam and your mental health (http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-disorder-lithium). Additionally lithium is recycled because of its high value in manufacturing. China is not the top producer. China however does sell Lithium the cheapest because it has no effective mining regulations regarding pollution. Outside of China just how much more pollution producing is it than other mining?

Lithium producing countries in order of production.

1. Australia

2. Chile

3. Argentina

4. China

5. Zimbabwe

6. Portugal

7. Brazil

8. United States

http://investingnews.com/daily/resource-investing/energy-investing/lithium-investing/2013-top-8-lithium-producing-countries/

P.S. The articles I originally posted Jeremy include pollution created during the lifetime of the vehicle including manufacturing.

Edited by EspressoBuzz