Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

I have a retooled plan every morning. I get closer (sometimes) but to shots yet. Hitting the woods in the morning with plan number 5…or 6?? good news is the birds are thick this year.

• Like 2

No gobbles this morning ... I'm afraid the pressure around here is finally taking its toll ... Crap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont give up hope. We've only had birds rip 2 of 5 days with zero pressure besides us. Some days they talk some days they don't as you know. Watch them silent strutters The best part of the season , the tail end is the best IMO anyhow.
  • Like 1

Only made it out for the first couple hours this morning. No gobbles, but a tom and a hen flew down at around 6. He wanted nothing to do with my calls. He just followed her around and would occasionally strut. they moved off.Heard two other birds come down, behind me at around 630.Never saw or heard them after that.

They're around.

Walked probly 4 miles already on a new peice , not a sound , but saw two hens by there lonesome .... The bird I scouted here was killed two days ago , 10 in beard , 1 1/4 Spurs .... Dam , I knew he was gonna get wacked he talked too much

Silent Ambush hunt almost paid off.  I sat quietly in a part of the woods I know the Turkey frequent between the hours of 9 and 11 on average. Sure enough a small flock came right toward me about 9:30 am. They dipped down into a creek and were all set to come up about 40 yards in front of me...

They never came up. No idea where in the hell they went. Total mystery. I think a neighbor had been calling at them a little earlier before I saw 'em. Maybe that spooked them and they ran to ground.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

The season stated off slow but has been picking up.  I roosted a lonesome looking longbeard saturday evening. Got set up the following morning in the area where I figured he might be roosting.  Around 5:30 a bird gobbled deeper in the woods than I figured he'd be.  He gobbled a few more times and I thought about moving in on him but I wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything closer. Sure enough...has a gobble rip out only 50 yds away! I got turned around on the tree and pointed in his direction. A few soft calls and he flew down and was on his way!!! Soon I see a snowball head coming and he was puffing into a little strut.  Two jakes came following him...I got the gun up and was ready to blast him but to my dismay he ended up being a jake too. DAMN!!! They passed by at 15 yds and headed towards the other gobbler.  I had to leave for work shortly but I got up to where the other bird was and called...he hammered back.  I picked out a tree and called again...he was coming!!! All of a sudden I see several birds running around chasing each other...the lead one was headed right for me. I could see a beard swinging but he was in a hurry to get rid of the jakes on his tail.  I putted and stopped him several times but before I could get the bead settled on he would be on his way again. Finally, he was about to circle and get past me so I cutt real hard...he froze in his tracks...two more steps and he was gone. I guess I ended up rushing the shot and missed...

Today, my wife and I went back to see if he was still around.  Sure enough, he started gobbling early at 5:00 not far from where I had missed on sunday. We moved in and got set up about 100 yds from him. He hammered on the roost for the next 35 minutes but flew down into the woods across the field.  He gobbled decent on the ground but wouldn't advance.  I was playing with him and another bird gobbled behind us less than 60 yds away...I got the wife turned around and ready. Ended up being those three stinking jakes again.

Later in the morning my dad and I went to hit up some winery property near Keuka Lake where he'd heard a couple gobblers this morning. We ended up splitting up. It was 11:35 when I finally got a response.  I got set up and another bird gobbled across the gulley.  I got turned around and next thing you know I heard a cluck and a red headed turkey starts walking away.  I called and he turned around...ended up being three more jakes that had flown across the deep ravine to get to me. They came in and actually layed down on some logs 20 yds away and started napping!!! There were more turkeys across the gulley but they never showed. I literally had to chase the three little short bearded punks away so I could leave. I left empty handed but it was a cool encounter. Hope to get on a willing longbeard tomorrow...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

Went out this morning trying to get my nephew on the board. First light I played with two toms who wouldn't come to my location . @0615 had two hens come walking in without the toms, watched them for awhile and they eventually walked off. Moved onto a spot I haven't hit yet, it's a large hayfield and we set up three decoys and quickly got an answer. Bird came across the road and put on a show in the field , strutting and gobbling for about 30 minutes. He was 50 yds out from us on field but wouldn't come any closer. The decoys seem to have no affect on him. Wish I had a video camera . Well we had some fun and that's what it's all about . Won't be able to hunt next couple days.

• Like 2

I slept in a little ( actually, the alarm went off at 3:45 and I fell back to sleep ). Got in the woods around 9, stayed until almost noon. Not a peep, and nothing seen. The only thing I accomplished was to loose my owl call and my face net.

And the public land bullshit continues .... No sooner do I pull my gun out of the truck and close the door does a truck come wheelin in , and out hop three guys high tailing it across the road ... I shout , I'm going up top in there , the reply " no your not ( followed by snickers) ... So I go around the back side of the mountain and I figure I'll set up in the bottom closer to the roost instead of calling them up like my last bird... So I'm walking in and sure enough gobbling from the same spot , so I keep easing in and then three shots ring out ... In my head I'm thinking there is no f'n way that bird is on the ground yet as it was just starting to glow out ... Funny how we just had that shooting on the roost topic come up .... Smh

• Like 1

The only thing I accomplished was to loose my owl call and my face net.

I lost my second tru glo front sight yesterday. Those things are not built for the outdoors. A small knock against a sapling and it flew off into the leaf litter. I had the thing super-glued on to hell too after the last incident. Sticking with old fashioned beads from now on.

I lost my second tru glo front sight yesterday. Those things are not built for the outdoors. A small knock against a sapling and it flew off into the leaf litter. I had the thing super-glued on to hell too after the last incident. Sticking with old fashioned beads from now on.

you need a Wooly front sight. Doesn't

he have a matchstick or something for his high tech optics ?

Knock on wood but I've never lost anything in the woods , that I know of. Old Gobbler currently has a thread on "what have you lost in the woods this season ?" Lots of strikers , Avian decoy stakes and gloves.