Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Had a good feeling about today. Something was in the air. About 10:30  I had a bird on the gobble for about 20 minutes. He came in, but not close enough for a look. I decided to sit the last half hour on a gas-line. There is a Hollow that often has Turkey milling about in it. I get down to it, there is a very large Doe in the hollow munching away. Often deer and turkey congregate here. It seems a good sign. Sure enough a Hen pops out of the woods into the gas-line. Sometimes Tom's hang back and come out a little later if the coast seems clear. The doe beds down almost directly opposite me on the other side of the gasline. Disaster!  I need to get closer to the Hollow. So I start slowly sidling my way down along the edge of the trees next to the cleared gas-line. As I figured, the Doe bolts off and scares away the Turkey. Last time I sat that spot trespassers did the same things. Rats!

ants , I bet he heard hens that you couldn't The hen that I had stroll up to feed with my dekes the other day was unheard to me until she got inside 35-40 yards Them things talk soft at times. For what it's worth I ditch the yelp once tom is inside 150 or so and go soft clucks and purrs around the side of my leg. I've been humbled all year so my opinion don't hold a can of beans You had some fun and that's what it's all about .... Almost lol

• Like 1

ants , I bet he heard hens that you couldn't The hen that I had stroll up to feed with my dekes the other day was unheard to me until she got inside 35-40 yards Them things talk soft at times. For what it's worth I ditch the yelp once tom is inside 150 or so and go soft clucks and purrs around the side of my leg. I've been humbled all year so my opinion don't hold a can of beans You had some fun and that's what it's all about .... Almost lol

Yeah.. either that or he saw a hen or two, in the woods as he was crossing the field…..thats the only thing I could think of. He definitely didn't bust me. Maybe tomorrow 

• Like 2

Giving day #10 a whirl. It was like a game of frogger on my hour drive. Dodging deer , coon , fox and then 2 litters of fox pups within a mile of one another. Little ones scurrying all over the place. I do believe 2 longbeards daughter and I had in field during youth hunt are silent as group of 4 jakes have put a whompin on them. Well it sounds good on paper. Let's see what today brings ...

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Got turned around n I'm drenched in sweat... Finally stumbled on a gobble but it's the kind like , which way was that ... Sat down called ... 10 min later it comes from behind me , &&@", so I swing around to the other side of the tree ... Nothing .... Sounded like he was about 75 yds out with some thick stuff between me n him and a little rise out in front of me so I don't think he saw me , but he vanished , grrrr ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giving day #10 a whirl. It was like a game of frogger on my hour drive. Dodging deer , coon , fox and then 2 litters of fox pups within a mile of one another. Little ones scurrying all over the place. I do believe 2 longbeards daughter and I had in field during youth hunt are silent as group of 4 jakes have put a whompin on them. Well it sounds good on paper. Let's see what today brings ...

Same here , couple deer , fox , few rabbits .... Critters r liking this weather

Headed out at about 7 again. Got set up at the edge of the same  field, but about 100 yards to the right, from where I had been setting up.\\

I give a couple yelps on the slate, and get a distant answer. I wait a couple and give 2 or 3 more soft yelps and he sounds like he's right on top of me. There is a small hump that butts out from the woods, to my right that I can't see around but I know he is just around that hump and coming from the right, I see movement and get the gun up…I see 1..2…5..6 birds. ALL GEESE!!! LOL!! I wait and sure enough a jake. Then two jakes then 3 and 4 along with 6 hens come around the "hump" and are right in front of me 20 yards. One tom has about a 6" thin beard and I want to take him, but they are so bunched up that there is no way I could shoot with out killing more than one turkey, not to mention the bunch of geese that are right behind them….WTF???  They slowly move off to my left, and the geese would occasionally get pissed and honk and flap at them, causing all of the toms to gobble all at once!!  LOL! It happened 4 or 5 times.. I tried to cut them off at the other end of the fields, but the farmer started working the fields with the tractor and obviously scared them off to somewhere..

Good morning ….Back tomorrow   

• Like 5

Good day to be in the woods. Not a turkey seen or heard. Haven't been out since May 2nd it really greened up nicely and the apple trees looked awesome all flowered up. Saw a bunch of chipmunks, a red squirrel, two geese, and a woodpecker. Had fun walking a bit and already planning some tree stand spots for the fall.

• Like 2

To be honest, if you told me I couldn't use my crow call I probably wouldn't hunt.

oh , I call in a lot of crows with it but no shock gobbles. I hit that thing so hard I swear I lose 5 pounds Hooter and gobble call been dry too. I'm demoting myself this year to novice turkey hunter Does the Buffalo zoo have turkeys ? I could stand a chance there ????
  • Like 2

oh , I call in a lot of crows with it but no shock gobbles. I hit that thing so hard I swear I lose 5 pounds Hooter and gobble call been dry too. I'm demoting myself this year to novice turkey hunter Does the Buffalo zoo have turkeys ? I could stand a chance there ????

Lmao actually I took my kids to the zoo yesterday. Theres is a turkey in the red barn "farm" exhibit. Paint brush beard and nearly 2" spurs. He wouldnt even gobble yesterday.

• Like 3

That's cheating. LOL

I swear, red squirrels locate you and they hang out just to be annoying, telling them to move along doesn't work. If they were worth eating I would have brought home a few today.

• Like 1

I think they might say something, LOL.

I have not had a gobble in response to my crow call this year. But then I haven't had very many of them gobble at my turkey calls, either.

However, over the years, I have had DOZENS, if not HUNDREDS of  birds gobble at my crow call.  I don't even bother carrying a hooter or a gobble call anymore.

My crow call is LOUD, RASPY and sounds like a real crow.. Most guys I hear in the woods sound like a hunter blowing a crow call, more like a sick bluejay than a real crow.